Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rooster (blood in droppings)

Options
  • 19-01-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Recently the rooster has been passing a small amount of blood in his droppings. The vet told me to treat him and the hens for coccidiotis....so I did....but it has not cleared it. I went back to the vet and she didn't know what was wrong with the rooster and advised me to get a second opinion from another vet. The second vet didn't know what was wrong with the rooster either. He is perfect otherwise...eating and drinking normally and he has not lost any weight. Any ideas on what could be wrong?!?!?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Lol89, I'll move your post to the Smallholdings sub-forum in Farming and Forestry, as hopefully you'll get more access to help there.
    Please remember a new charter applies now.
    Hope you get to the root of the problem :)
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

it is actually blood? It isnt something that would look like blood - i.e. a red berry or pecking at some red paint on something - if it were coccidiotis the hens would all have got it, as its infectious. Are the hens all well? If its been going on for a while, and he is the only one with this symptom, it doesnt sound like its infectious (for the hens)

If hes eating and hasnt lost weight, I wouldnt worry too much - how long as this being going on? Are his comb/wattles nice and red? Are his nares clear/clean, eyes bright? Feathers in good condition? no rattling in his breathing? How old is he? Are you feeding grit? Clutching at straws here in my ignorance, but is there anything very sharp that he could be eating as grit? Oh, Have you wormed the flock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

lol89 wrote: »
    Recently the rooster has been passing a small amount of blood in his droppings. The vet told me to treat him and the hens for coccidiotis....so I did....but it has not cleared it. I went back to the vet and she didn't know what was wrong with the rooster and advised me to get a second opinion from another vet. The second vet didn't know what was wrong with the rooster either. He is perfect otherwise...eating and drinking normally and he has not lost any weight. Any ideas on what could be wrong?!?!?

Are you positive it's his droppings? Pullets will often have bloody droppings coming up to their first egg, or any hen that's a bit sick will pass some blood show instead of an egg (often while on the perch).

Advertisement