Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Many Continents Are There (In Your Opinion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

namloc1980 wrote: »
    And don't get me started on those fecking South Africans claiming the whole of southern Africa.

Don't you mean Suth Ifricuns?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I suspect your average European knows about as much about the USA as the average yank knows about Europe.

To be fair I doubt most people would know much about the subdivisions and regional cultural differences of say, Italy or Switzerland. USA may be a big country, but it's still just the one country.

I did primary school in Spain and was taught that there are 5 continents (Europe, Asia, Africa, America, Oceania) and that some people consider Antarctica to be the 6th. It was so weird to move to Ireland and see that their list was different!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

To be fair I doubt most people would know much about the subdivisions and regional cultural differences of say, Italy or Switzerland. USA may be a big country, but it's still just the one country.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know how many states are in the USA or how few know the US state capitals. I think my point stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You'd be surprised how many people don't know how many states are in the USA or how few know the US state capitals. I think my point stands.

The amount of people who tell you there are 52 baffles me. They say it as fact, too. 50 stars, 50 states. Thought that was self evident.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Europe is the only important one right?....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Omackeral wrote: »
    The amount of people who tell you there are 52 baffles me. They say it as fact, too. 50 stars, 50 states. Thought that was self evident.

I had heard that somewhere too years ago! Had to check just now to be sure, yep, still 50 :D

Yeah it's unreal. I know of many people who are convinced there are 52 states. Or those who are equally convinced that New England is a state.

They probably include Costa Rica and Virgin Islands when they count them, or somewhere like the UK that's often quoted as the 51st state due to the amount of US forces there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Yeah it's unreal. I know of many people who are convinced there are 52 states. Or those who are equally convinced that New England is a state.

You're obviously not counting Rhode Island and Hawaii.

• Advertisement

They probably include Costa Rica and Virgin Islands when they count them, or somewhere like the UK that's often quoted as the 51st state due to the amount of US forces there.

Costa Rica is its own nation. you thinking of Puerto Rico? Actually, most people over here prob think of the bloody Canaries when they think of Puerto Rico...

kneemos wrote: »
    You're obviously not counting Rhode Island and Hawaii.

They're included in the 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭Archeron

Won't somebody think of the Gondwanalandians?

I wonder if you asked 100 random Irish people the number of member states in the EU, how many would actually get it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

49 states, as Abe Simpson would put it I'll be deep in the cold cold ground before I recognize Missouri.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

49 states, as Abe Simpson would put it I'll be deep in the cold cold ground before I recognize Missouri.

MissourA

I wonder if you asked 100 random Irish people the number of member states in the EU, how many would actually get it right?

''A byjaysus hole hape'' would be their probable answer.

MissourA

Nope it's Missouri. ;)

Nope it's Missouri. ;)

Listen to how he pronounces it, poster has a point! :p

I know how he pronounces it but I still stand by what I posted 49 states down with Missouri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

... Abe Simpson ...
    Great thread this: started off as a discussion of continents, and turned in to a discussion of incontinents. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

I would estimate that there are around 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 continents in the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Who are we at war with?
    We are at war with Eurasia and allied with Eastasia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Always taught 5 continents at school, I assumed everyone in Ireland was taught the same, obviously not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We are at war with Eurasia and allied with Eastasia.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Maybe they're confusing it with the number of weeks in an year?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

7, and I'm surprised anyone argues about this, I'd see it as fact, and any answer other than 7 as wrong. However, that said, I believe there should be 5 continents. Europe and Asia is just one continuous landmass on a single major plate, as well as North and South America, I don't see why they're both split up. I've heard it's because of cultural differences, but in that case, the middle east and India should both be their own continents. So, even though there is 7 and I know that as a fact, I think there should be either 5 if judging by land, or 9 if judging by cultural differences, or even more, if you want to consider the fact countries like Pakistan and Afghanistan are hugely different to countries like China and Vietnam.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Senna wrote: »
    Always taught 5 continents at school, I assumed everyone in Ireland was taught the same, obviously not.
    The Olympic Flag has 5 rings

Blue for Europe, because royalty has blue blood
    yellow for Asia, black for Africa, and red for America because that's racist
    green for Australia and Oceania because they ran out of colours

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_symbols
    .the six colors [including the flag's white background] thus combined reproduce the colors of all the nations, with no exception. The blue and yellow of Sweden, the blue and white of Greece, the tri- colors of France, England and America, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Hungary, the yellow and red of Spain next to the novelties of Brazil or Australia, with old Japan and new China. Here is truly an international symbol."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

3; Africa , Eurasia , America
    The rest are all Bulls **** including Australia , Its looks like a big island so that what is , and as regards oceania and s polar bears and penguins , I don't think thy give a shote what therein as long as thy have food a swim and a ride .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

7, and I'm surprised anyone argues about this, I'd see it as fact, and any answer other than 7 as wrong. However, that said, I believe there should be 5 continents. Europe and Asia is just one continuous landmass on a single major plate, as well as North and South America, I don't see why they're both split up. I've heard it's because of cultural differences, but in that case, the middle east and India should both be their own continents. So, even though there is 7 and I know that as a fact, I think there should be either 5 if judging by land, or 9 if judging by cultural differences, or even more, if you want to consider the fact countries like Pakistan and Afghanistan are hugely different to countries like China and Vietnam.
    And every state in the usa , like Mississippi completely different to California ! Hugely as well .

Advertisement