Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dot sights

Options
  • 18-01-2015 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Anyone using or have used pistol red dot or reflex sights, your opinions on either for target shooting, please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This got asked before, you might take a read of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

I have one that I use from time to time. There probably is a small advantage to it but I prefer the open sights. I feel they are a bit gimmicky/gadgety to be honest kinda like the crimson trace grips.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I find them very good. If your eyesight isn't 100% they are brilliant.

They put you in a seperate category for competitions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

thanks guys, can I ask

what type make and moa dot size u guys are using?

I have a pistol on the way and I have never used red dot or reflex, Is one type more favourable than the other for target shooting?

do you need to go up in budget to get quality?

Wadi14 wrote: »
    thanks guys, can I ask

what type make and moa dot size u guys are using?

I have a pistol on the way and I have never used red dot or reflex, Is one type more favourable than the other for target shooting?

do you need to go up in budget to get quality?

When I say red dot, I actually mean a reflex sight. The sights that shine a red dot onto the target aren't allowed in competitions as far as I know.

The reflex sight just has the dot on the glass in the sight.

I have a cheap sight, €50. It does the job but I would prefer a smaller, clearer dot but they are more expensive. For the quality of my shooting, I am not prepared to pay €300 or so for a good quality one . The €50 one will do me.

A couple of snags with them......... it can be a b1tch to see the dot on a sunny day and my sight needs to be zeroed every time I take it off the gun.

For €50 you can't really go wrong though.

• Advertisement

Thanks BattleCorp, I'm not talking about laser beams either, reflex are the small single glass pane at the front and red dot looks like a small scope, both produce red dot, I know in the reflex ones the reticule can be changed to dot crosshair etc. the red dot ones just has a dot, ohh and I won't be spending €300 on one either lol

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Thanks BattleCorp, I'm not talking about laser beams either, reflex are the small single glass pane at the front and red dot looks like a small scope, both produce red dot, I know in the reflex ones the reticule can be changed to dot crosshair etc. the red dot ones just has a dot, ohh and I won't be spending €300 on one either lol

Most lads who use sights use the reflex sights.

I find that the green dot is easier to see than the red dot on the reflex sight.

That's good to know, I was looking at Hawke red dot sights and all the Hawkes are only red dot, will have to keep a look out for both red and green dot

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

I have used a red dot before as well. however I'm interested in learning more about them.

I shot a GSG 1911 with a RD and found it helped my 52 yr old eyes better to shoot.

I love the open sights though, a pal of min has a sig x5 and when i use it (open sight) i shoot great ! (Well better that the GSG, but this most likely says more about the GSSG with stock sights) than it says about the sig - hopefully I have a little skill mixed in there as well.)
    Though using the GSG with RD I 'feel' more accurate and usually do shoot more x's.
    I do believe that those of us age challenged benifit from the type of eyesight focusing we need to do. I came late in life to pistol shooting so am not a lifetime user (focusing on front sight) - but the rd seems to replace the need to focus on the front sight.

My problem is that I'm getting a Xesse and will want to shoot both open sight and also fit a RD to it (I do not want that silly - in my oppinion - thing I see the cousins across the pond doing and 'co-sighting' the RD to Open sights.)

i keep seeing online that manufactures recommend the 8moa RD for pistol shooting. why not the smaller 3moa? is it because the target for centre fired pistols is bigger in competition (from my experience in the one comp I entered - the rim fire targets were smaller). I.e - I'm shooting rimfire .22lr.
    I cant see how covering a target with a bigger dot will make you more accurate. Surely a smaller (3moa) dot would be preferable when shooting at 25m disperset pattern (aiming for the dogs Mi*ky as we say)?

Anyone got a good resource online to explain why a bigger dot is better for pistol?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

I might be wrong, but those suggesting that a larger dot is better for pistol, may be thinking in terms of defensive handguns, where rapid target acquisition is priority. Sometimes, that little red dot can be very hard to find.
    Personally, i have a 3MOA on my .22 pistol and if i was changing it i would be looking at a smaller dot rather than larger. But as it is, I'm really happy with it, and can shoot 1.5 inch groups with it at 25m.
    Some info http://www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭clivej

I had a reflex sight on my AW93 and shot it with good results. 1 MOA dot I think it was, perfect for target competition shooting
    A cheap one off EBay, avalable to fit 11mm or picatinny rails
    Item #'s 321170089235, 271775493201, 321561957453

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

Clive, that's more like a 4 or 5 MOA dot. 1 MOA are usually big bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭clivej

Lemon3 wrote: »
    Clive, that's more like a 4 or 5 MOA dot. 1 MOA are usually big bucks.

I wasn't sure. Maybe 1moa per click. But it was only used @25m for competitive target shooting

I never got around to buying any yet, I'm having too much fun with the open sights, but if and when I do I will be looking for a small MOA dot def not above 5 smaller if I can get it.

dc99 weigh off when you get your hammerli its the dovetail rail that is on the barrel not weaver

Wadi14,

Its the IPSC version I'm getting so is supposed to be all steel construction (the Hammerli) and the dovetail 'rail' along the barrel is an 11mm.

I'm looking at the Docter C Sight and then need to purchase a mtg seperate (Triebel infomed me on the correct mtg for 11mm dovetail.... (75euro for the mtg!!! but then I wont have to purchase the Hammerli Picitinny add on for the Hammerli - which is around 50euros as well.....)

Not long now....

dc99
    I have the IPSC, now the first thing I did was buy the heavy barrel weight, the weight that comes fitted is a plastic cover only, I found some barrel flip when firing, so I got the 160g weight, the pistol if balanced better with it added to.
    Your going for a good sight with the Doctor, def will sit well on the Hammerli. keep me inform how you get on with that set up

good one on the weight. i was wondering if i would need to get one. thers a few different size weights for it isnt there?

I waited until I got the pistol and then went to my local tyre /puncture repair guy and got some of the wheel balance weights of him taped 60,100,160g weight to the bottom of the barrel with masking tape and went for the heavy weight. There not bloody cheap either lol

Advertisement