Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should optical or red dot sights be banned for pistol competitions?

Options
  • 12-02-2013 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody fancy offering their opinions on whether optical sights or red dot sights should be allowed or banned for smallbore pistol competitions?

Some people have said to me that they offer a significant unfair advantage to the shooter over someone using iron sights.

That said, looking at results, a hell of a lot of the 'A' class and 'X' class smallbore pistol shooters don't use them and they seem to be doing as well as ever.

If the red dot sight or optical sight made that much of a difference, surely nobody using iron sights would have a chance, yet most of the competitions are won by people using iron sights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

Declan was saying that the nasrpc were bringing red dots and scopes into their own class. so that so even things up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It's not really an unfair advantage as anyone can use one, if they think the will win by using one then all they have to do is use one. It's just people trying to blame something else on their rubbish shooting. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Scalachi

My opinion is that they do offer shooters with them a competitive advantage.

I think currently there are so few people using them in competition (maybe 3 or 4) that its difficult to show the difference at this stage.

I do know of a clear example, where a shooter, who does not normally shoot SB pistol used a Red dot sight and out shot the vast majority of pistol shooters in the country with it.

Now there would have been luck and skill as well, but I believe the Red Dot also played a major part :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

dax121 wrote: »
    Declan was saying that the nasrpc were bringing red dots and scopes into their own class. so that so even things up :D

There's 3 motions regarding the scopes being put forward. One of the three will be picked.
    1. Leave things the way they are.
    2. Ban scopes.
    3. Let them have their own category (Open).

I've no problem with them having their own category but the proposal says that if 6 or more shooters turn up with red dot sights, then they will have their own category. What happens if only 5 or less turn up with red dot sights? I know the chances of it are slim, but it could happen.

Secondly, if you are allowed to have an open category for people with red dot sights, won't this double the work of the NASRPC when it comes to competitions. Lads with red dot sights will enter the 'Open' category with their red dot sights and probably enter the iron sights competition later on when they remove the sight.

Scalachi wrote: »

I do know of a clear example, where a shooter, who does not normally shoot SB pistol used a Red dot sight and out shot the vast majority of pistol shooters in the country with it.

Was that somebody from the UK with the initials JR, who did very well at the International Open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Scalachi

No it was not.

It was someone from Ireland who does not normally shoot pistol, but normally can be found with a Gallery Rifle in his hand..

JR can pick up anything and beat nearly everyone, some people are just naturally good shots, others (like me) have to really work at it to be any good at all :(

Scalachi wrote: »
    No it was not.

It was someone from Ireland who does not normally shoot pistol, but normally can be found with a Gallery Rifle in his hand..

JR can pick up anything and beat nearly everyone, some people are just naturally good shots, others (like me) have to really work at it to be any good at all :(

But still, if they are that good, how come most of the competitions are still being won by people not using them.

The shooter you are talking about must have one steady hand. It's one thing having the dot on the target, it's quite another thing trying to keep it there while you pull the trigger.

I've had sh1te days with a red dot too. Not that it happens often, but on sunny days they are a b1tch to see. The sunny days that is, I often have sh1te days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭clivej

The only place to say anything about this subject is at the AGM on the 23rd.

Be there or be square :)

I use a Red Dot reflex sight on my .22lr and find it makes me competitive but not good enough to get into the Irish Nationals, so there are at least 10 better shooters than me. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

Red dot shooters should have their own class. There are 2 main skills needed to shoot a pistol:
    1. Aiming.
    2 Holding steady

The red dot simplifies the first category as alignment of front and rear sights is not necessary, leaving just a steady hold to concentrate on(assuming the sights are set up correctly)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Leupold wrote: »
    Red dot shooters should have their own class. There are 2 main skills needed to shoot a pistol:
    1. Aiming.
    2 Holding steady

The red dot simplifies the first category as alignment of front and rear sights is not necessary, leaving just a steady hold to concentrate on(assuming the sights are set up correctly)

*cough*wrong*cough*

The two skills in pistol shooting - any pistol shooting - that let you hit the target are:
    1. Aligning the sights; and
    2. Trigger control.

If you're aiming while using iron sights, it means you're looking at the target not the sights and that's almost always going to cause you to miss. If you keep the sights aligned, you may have some inaccuracy because your hold wasn't perfect, but it's minor - you're talking about a drop from a ten to a seven on an ISSF target for an average pistol shooter. If you don't keep the sights aligned, the error is enormous - you may not even hit the card at all and put the shot in the wall.

The mantra is "watch the sights", not "watch the target".

This is why red dot sights exist and in answer to the OP's original question, it's their advantage over iron sights - they effectively put the sight at an optical infinity focus, allowing your eyes to focus on both the sights and the target at the same time.

The human eye cannot focus on two different focal planes simultaneously (I know, some people think they can; they can't. The physical structure of the eye and basic physics do not allow it - it's like focussing on a single point for more than a fraction of a second in that we think we can but in reality nobody can no matter how hard they try (anyone want to see the rather cool proof?)). When using iron sights you cannot focus on both sights and target simultaneously; when you use red dot sights you can. It's why some pistol shooting sports don't allow them to be used (like all of the ISSF pistol disciplines) or only let them be used for certain age categories (because as the human eye ages, shooting with iron sights can become very physically difficult and red dots become more and more useful).

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    focussing on a single point for more than a fraction of a second in that we think we can but in reality nobody can no matter how hard they try (anyone want to see the rather cool proof?)
    Yes! Yes! We want to see! I hear nobody cry. Okay, here it is :D

SaccadeDemo.jpg

Stare at the center dot in the left half of the image for thirty seconds.
    Then try to stare at the center dot in the right half of the image.

What you should see (and if you don't, you may have a medical problem and should get your eyes checked) is an afterimage that looks remarkably like a set of peep sights surrounding the center dot on the right side of the image. That's fine; but do you see how it's jiggling about the place?

That's not because the screen's moving; it's because your eye is moving. They call that kind of motion microsaccades and they're completely involuntary and utterly necessary -- you'd be effectively blind without them, and explaining why properly would take a much longer post, but the basics are that if you hold your hand out with your arm fully extended and stick up your thumb so you can see your thumbnail, that nail is approximately the entire area in your visual field that you can see in any detail at all. While you stare at that tiny tiny area, everything else you think you can see in detail you actually can't, it's all vague and blurry. The brain moves your eye around like a jelly on a plate many times a second and stitches all those little areas together deep down in your subconcious so your concious mind is never aware of it (and those tiny motions are microsaccades and they're coordinated between both eyes to build up that picture that is what you think you see normally).

So there you go. Even when you think you're holding still and are utterly focussed, your subconcious is making you jump about like you've a cattle prod somewhere quite unpleasant.

Reality. ****ing cool, innit?

@sparks

Feck sake your like brains from Thunderbirds (if you can go back that far in TIME) got an answer for everything :rolleyes::rolleyes:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuHRxUXcKjplKlzNjGt36tjfQU6OMaC9dW5LmXyeMiPwTEPxSzEg

clivej wrote: »
    @sparks
    Feck sake your like brains from Thunderbirds (if you can go back that far in TIME) got an answer for everything :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh I can outshoot that fecker all day long and twice on Sundays :D
    (And yeah, I'm old enough to remember 3..2..1... :D )

(And the reason I know this stuff is that I used to work in the Vision lab in Trinity so you had to pick up a few things along the way, and when you do shooting as well and you depend on your eyes so much, you learn about them and how they work :D )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

Sparks wrote: »

The two skills in pistol shooting - any pistol shooting - that let you hit the target are:
    1. Aligning the sights; and
    2. Trigger control.

So whether you can hold steady, or not, at the point at which you are aiming has no affect on accuracy then?

Leupold wrote: »
    So whether you can hold steady, or not, at the point at which you are aiming has no affect on accuracy then?
    With pistol shooting, that's correct because unless you're using a red dot sight, you can't see the point you're aiming at because you're focussed on the sights not the target. The target will just be a blurry shape somewhere in the background. Learning to accept that, to accept that it's an area hold, that's one of the major changeovers from rifle to pistol shooting, in my experience. But once you get used to it, you can get pretty decent results.

It boils down to basic geometry and basic anatomy. Take one-handed shooting, because it's easier to see it with one-handed shooting (the same applies to two-handed, but the geometry's more complicated). The pistol is at arm's length, you arm is roughly pointed towards the target and you're looking at the aligned sights:

PistolSightsAlignment1.png

Now, if your arm is off, so that your natural point of aim isn't on the center of the target, then you won't hit the center of the target, you'll miss by a little bit:

PistolSightsAlignment2.png

This is why you'll see ISSF pistol shooters spend so much time before they start shooting pointing at the target - they're adjusting their natural point of aim to coincide with the target center as much as possible.

The problem is, if you don't accept that area hold, if you don't focus on the sights and instead look at the target, your hand is not going to keep the pistol perfectly aligned on its own, and it will wander a little away from being aligned. That's just biology, it's not something you can eliminate, ever, no matter how much you train. And even a little misalignment of the sights at this end of the range can mean huge misses at the target end of the range (the deflection of the foresight is exactly the same in both the diagram above and the diagram below; the difference is that the sights are aligned above and not aligned below):

PistolSightsMisAlignment.png

But this should all be basic practice to a pistol shooter. The OP's original question related to red dot sights and what advantage they had, if any. I think we've pretty clearly shown they have an advantage over iron sights by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

So....

If I follow (as a beginner at target shooting), as I wear perscription glasses, I would be better off wearing my reading glasses so I can focus on the front sights and not the target? (I have astigmatisim in my eyes)

I normally wear varifocals and am over 40 (so reading glasses are required). Is there anywhere that has good info on perscription glasses and shooting?

Sorry if I'm taking the thread off topic.

Liam

dc99 wrote: »
    So....
    If I follow (as a beginner at target shooting), as I wear perscription glasses, I would be better off wearing my reading glasses so I can focus on the front sights and not the target? (I have astigmatisim in my eyes)
    Correct. For both pistol and rifle shooting with iron sights, you want to have your prescription for close-focus work (specifically the distance from your eye to the rearsight in pistol shooting and your eye to the foresight in rifle shooting, when you're in position on the line).
    Is there anywhere that has good info on perscription glasses and shooting?
    There's a few threads on here over the last few years on shooting glasses. And at the risk of recommending just the one place (I'd recommend more but I only know of this lad and he's the one I use), there's a fairly good rifle shooter who's an optician in the specsavers in Finglas.

dc99 wrote: »
    So....

I normally wear varifocals and am over 40 (so reading glasses are required). Is there anywhere that has good info on perscription glasses and shooting?

Sorry if I'm taking the thread off topic.

Liam

Because your now holding the pistol at arms length the reading glasses may not work. Because they are set for focus at a nearer distance, say 18".
    The answer is to bring your pistol to the opticians and get the correct focal length glass's for your eyes.
    This is what I need to do, then I could see the sights better and loose the Red Dot reflex sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi,
    Sorry, forgot to specify it's pistol shooting I'm starting.

I'm due a perscription review soon and will mention it to the Optician.

At least I have a starting point now.

Thanks,

Liam

Advertisement