Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Small Whiskey Cask

Options
  • 15-01-2015 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi,

Just playing with an idea here, I am thinking of buying a small cask of whiskey for my son (maybe son's) and give it to him/them around their 30th birthday (28 years away from now).

Just wondering what would be involved, the pricing, storage, VAT, etc etc...

Looking at whiskybroker co uk a 200l cask is about 1500-2000euro, this is just a reference to how much a 1 or 2 year old cask costs.

Most likely the cask will be stored in an Irish distillery, what are my options and the hidden cost of this gift?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

As far as I know Dingle Founding Fathers is still open to new members. Casks start at €6,100.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kilbeggan has a stack of purchased/gifted casks on display maturing; although they're all full-size and I don't know exactly how you buy them either. Not many places do quarter casks, and as they're intended to give more flavour in a shorter time I'm not actually sure I'd want to leave one 30 years. Also, the evaporation would mean there'd not be all that much left.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Don't think Kilbeggan sell casks to the public anymore, but I'm not 100 pct sure.

You buy whisky in bond, so you don't have to pay the tax until after it's taken out.

Irish whiskey is much more expensive to buy by the cask, compared to Scotland. But a lot of Scottish distilleries won't sell casks.

Advertisement