Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Today Show - Free Consumer Help

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭scanlanavia

Gas & Electricity. Will Bord Gais pass on same reduction on gas as their owner, Celestica have begrudgingly done in UK, as a result of Government nudge

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Gas & Electricity. Centrica Ireland Ltd, begrudingly reduced Gas by 3.5% and Electricity by a token 2.5%, In the former case this means that they tuck away under the counter a saving of 1.5% compared to the UK reduction. Sounds familiar eh ??? Irish Style self regulation given that the Energy Regulator is ineffective in this regard and a waste of Tax Payers money,. Shut that Quango too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Gas & Electricity. Centrica Ireland Ltd, begrudingly reduced Gas by 3.5% and Electricity by a token 2.5%, In the former case this means that they tuck away under the counter a saving of 1.5% compared to the UK reduction. Sounds familiar eh ??? Irish Style self regulation given that the Energy Regulator is ineffective in this regard and a waste of Tax Payers money,. Shut that Quango too.

Distribution costs, payroll etc are different in Ireland. You are not comparing like with like in the two markets. The base price of oil or gas is only one factor in the final retail price.

Distribution costs, payroll etc are different in Ireland. You are not comparing like with like in the two markets. The base price of oil or gas is only one factor in the final retail price.

Virginia Many Superman: and which Lobby Group do you represent ?
    Distribution costs and payroll is the worn our excuse of over expensive recent Semi state bodies.... (How about mentioning PPARS again in the HSE)
    So our Centrica Ltd is more inefficient than the Centrica Ireland version.
    Sort that out Centrica/Bord Gais or whatever you call yourselves..
    I don't have time for an lesson in economics today. Wasn't our EU membership supposed to sort all that out,, harmonisation of taxes, same price for everything around europe. Its the same Gas we burn as our neighbours, so pass on the savings on a pro-rata basis and quite screwing customers with lame excuses. .... "distrubution costs, payroll" indeed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Srameen: and which Lobby Group do you represent ?
    Distribution costs and payroll is the worn our excuse of over expensive recent Semi state bodies.... (How about mentioning PPARS again in the HSE)
    So our Centrica Ltd is more inefficient than the Centrica Ireland versi on.
    Sort that out Centrica/Bord Gais or whatever you call yourselves..
    I don't have time for an lesson in economics today. Wasn't our EU membership supposed to sort all that out,, harmonisation of taxes, same price for everything around europe. Its the same Gas we burn as our neighbours, so pass on the savings on a pro-rata basis and quite screwing customers with lame excuses. .... "distrubution costs, payroll" indeed...
    I wish I could get work on a lobby group! :rolleyes:
    That tired rebuttal when someone doesn't like an answer.

I haven't time to teach economics either.

If you take all gas and electricity distribution and transmission costs back to the component costs for Ireland versus Great Britain you'll see that the reductions are actually proportionate. Again, wholesale crude prices are only a part of the make up of retail costs. Efficiency has nothing to do with it.Tax harmonisation has nothing to do with it. Petrol, Gas, Electricity, chocolate, milk, clothing, motor cars, cookers, iphones etc are not the same price here as any other country. Sorry, it's not what you wanted to hear but let's at least be fair and honest before we slate any company.

Fair enough. I'm of the opinion that all the energy providers are equally at fault asca cartel due to hopeless regulation.

I suggest we remove nonsense "taxes" like carbon tax, PSO also which are merely ending up in the states slush fund and unlikely to be used for correct purpose.
    they metely add to costs of hard pressed consumers and business. a reduction in VAT on energy likewise would be of more benefit at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@scanlavia - there was already an on-thread warning to another poster to lay off the political vibes. You've already received a moderator warning about this today.

Continue in this vein and I will go straight to a ban.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 36 tomhain

My consumer issue is with Vodafone. They advetise their broadband as Unlimited, but you can see in T&C that they have fair usage policy of 350GB (vodafone at home broadband). However until November 2014 they were telling (reps here on boards.ie and vodafone forum) that there is no charge for going over the limit and they will only contact customer if they go significantly over the 350GB limit, which is fine. But recently I checked the forum and suddently they decided to charge 10 euro for every 100GB over the limit without informing customers about it. I find it very interesting how this can even be advertised as unlimited, there should be a regulation to stop this, mostly now when this limit isn't enough when you stream TV, play online games on 2-3 computers in household. Maybe 10 years ago it was ok, it was difficult to go over the limit, but today it is not. Also the fact that they do not inform customers about changes in practice of dealing with over the limit usage is .. seems like not against the law .. but it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

tomhain wrote: »
    My consumer issue is with Vodafone. They advetise their broadband as Unlimited, but you can see in T&C that they have fair usage policy of 350GB (vodafone at home broadband). However until November 2014 they were telling (reps here on boards.ie and vodafone forum) that there is no charge for going over the limit and they will only contact customer if they go significantly over the 350GB limit, which is fine. But recently I checked the forum and suddently they decided to charge 10 euro for every 100GB over the limit without informing customers about it. I find it very interesting how this can even be advertised as unlimited, there should be a regulation to stop this, mostly now when this limit isn't enough when you stream TV, play online games on 2-3 computers in household. Maybe 10 years ago it was ok, it was difficult to go over the limit, but today it is not. Also the fact that they do not inform customers about changes in practice of dealing with over the limit usage is .. seems like not against the law .. but it should be.

A decade is about how long this is going on...nothing to stop it despite it coming numerous times, they'll carry on. Be thankful for 450GB.

Looking at the stickys out in the main forum they've picked the easy boring/old reliables to focus on. Parcel delivery....pffffffft.

Accomodation..pffffffft.

And not a damn will come out of it.

Spending money to talk about the same stuff ye talked about last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dm1979

hi all, I think i'm going to need help, we bought a bed from argos on the 20/1/15. it was reduced and we thought it was a bargin, we had had a bit of a rough time over christmas and thought feck it we deserve a bit of a treat and went into our overdraft to pay for it. on the way home we got the call to give us our delivery date (for yesterday) and remarked how quick that was and thanked the girl on the phone for there speedy customer service. fast forward to this week, getting excited i rang argos costomer care on tuesday to confirm the delivery date and was told it would be here on friday. so friday came, i dismantled our old bed draged it to the back garden in anticipation of our new bed arriving, by 6 in the evening no bed, rang argos and was told dont panic its an all day delivery it will arrive. 7.30 came and no bed, so i rang again and john on the phone said he tried to call the delivery team but had no luck, he would try today to find out were my bed is. so here i am today waiting for johns call. what do i do if i'm told the bed is gone out of stock, cant really afford to put more money towards getting a different one (this bed was only priced @105) and in the mean time my old bed is in pieces out the back..... what do i do?

a quick update, johns call from argos never came, so i rang them twice on saturday, frist time i was told i would recieve a call back, which never came so i rang again in the afternoon and was told the bed is on a different delivery route and would recieve a call within the next couple of days to arrange delivery. today monday morning after a weekend of sleeping on a mattress on the floor i rang again to find out my delivery date, and was told its on a different delivery route and would have to wait for the delivery crew to get it on the right route, and would recieve a call in the next couple of days to arrange delivery, i am starting to get the feeling i am being fobbed off and they dont know were the bed is.

hi all, another quick update for anyone following (dont think there is anyone following!!) we received a phone call from DHL today informing us they had our bed and would deliver it tomorrow morning! Who knew argos used DHL for delivery, still no phone call from argos, re: delivery or apology, so very bad customer service on their behalf but at least were getting a bed, no more mattress on the floor!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

fionny wrote: »
    Dodge the 1890 numbers... they almost never work out in your favour... this site finds the standard number associated for popular providers:

http://www.saynoto1890.com/

Do you have something similar for text messages, as it's supposed to be free on mobile bundle i have, but when you get shortcodes like 53102 etc, it costs more :mad:

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

They should take a look at this thread Free Gillette Fusion ProGlide Razor

Boardsies data taken and no razors in return.

392 thanks on the OP post and a lot more of us who either never thanked it or removed their thanks afterwards.

Only a handful got a razor, after sending emails complaining months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Fantastic opportunity for all those recently stung by IWantThisDeal to come forward and share their stories!

why what happened there??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

• Registered Users Posts: 3 starray

We bought a SONOROUS TV Stand PL.3400 PL 3405, Piano Black, in D.I.D Electrical Wexford on the 07.08.2011. The TV stand has 5 Years Warranty.

Sunday the 26.10.2014 the bottom shelf Exploded/Shattered sending glass all over the room.

I reported the matter to the Manager <SNIP> at D.I.D Wexford on Monday 27.10.2014.
    The Manager phoned on the 30.10.2014. He was unable to sort the problem asked me to phone or email customers service.

The Manager of Customers Service did not reply to our last email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Boards.ie: Sean

Just to let you know that the last episode of this series of The Consumer Show is airing next week so we are wrapping up this thread - thanks to everyone who posted and if the show is re-commissioned again next year we hope to have a similar thread where Boardsies can let the The Consumer Show know of any issues they'd like investigated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement