Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential ban on WhatsApp and Snapchat in the UK

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Blowfish wrote: »
    That's impossible to police though. To point out the obvious, how exactly are the government supposed to identify what's 'legitimate' traffic and what's chat traffic? If it's encrypted, they can't see what's in it.

i.e. How do you distinguish between a web server serving https pages and me going 'ncat -l 443 --ssl'?

This is ignoring the fact that using a license system, they'd have to block most of the internet anyway as the vast majority of encrypted sites would be outside of the UK and hence outside of their remit.

I don't know how they'd police it but a lot of laws are already unenforceable... it didn't stop them introducing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Fcuking classic. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Saturday: Dozens of world leaders march in Paris claiming to support liberal freedom of speech and the free-exchange of ideas

Today: Their first policy response. Limit the free exchange of speech. Increase government surveillance. If we can't hear what you're saying, you cannot say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I wonder how many people (apart from the Tories and Cameron) coming out in support of CH and free speech would be in favor of limiting the ability of people to communicate freely and privately. Quite a lot I'd say...
    There was a pretty informative article that mentioned some of the world leaders who were marching in solidarity in Paris, and contrasting it against the laws in their own country.
    http://www.jewishjournal.com/hella_tel_aviv/item/the_10_biggest_hypocrites_marching_in_paris
    cisk wrote: »
    Even apple cannot decrypt the messages if forced.
    Yes they could. I'm not claiming they do, though we have only their word for that, but I'd trust them on it. But they absolutely have the capability to decrypt messages if they wanted to. They control the keyservers, so they could easily choose to decrypt messages sent in future. And they have the ability to push automatic software updates to your phone, which could be used to grab the private key from the phone to decrypt messages sent in the past.

Advertisement