Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth - Review of Estates

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

hp1 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know why you would travel 50km a day rather than send child to the girls or boys school.
    To sum it up.
    The preference was for a gaelscoil and a single sex education was not an option .

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bemak

What about college green or cluain aoibheann?

Or castle Dawson?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I don't know College green but the other 2 are nice .
    Clean Aoibhinn had student houses in it and I presume it still does .
    Castle Dawson would beuch newer "shinier" houses and I would imagine alot more expensive .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I just saw this thread resurrect and realised that I started it a long time ago. We've since moved here and bought a house in Rockfield and it's worked out so well. We left a very busy urban area so the pace and village feel here is just lovely and Rockfield is so well kept. Thanks to all those who offered advice at the time.

• Advertisement

yellow hen wrote: »
    I just saw this thread resurrect and realised that I started it a long time ago. We've since moved here and bought a house in Rockfield and it's worked out so well. We left a very busy urban area so the pace and village feel here is just lovely and Rockfield is so well kept. Thanks to all those who offered advice at the time.

great to hear!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bemak wrote: »
    What about college green or cluain aoibheann?

Older houses, not fantastically built, estate full of students (albeit reducing over time - most houses for sale are ex-rentals and are sold to families/professional couples without kids yet)

L1011 wrote: »
    Older houses, not fantastically built, estate full of students (albeit reducing over time - most houses for sale are ex-rentals and are sold to families/professional couples without kids yet)

I thought as much re: build quality. CA is nicely located. Took a drive in there a while back and wasn't very impressed with the upkeep of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Liambarry99

Folks,

Interesting thread. Any advice as to how you would rate Carton Court in Maynooth as an estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Folks,

Interesting thread. Any advice as to how you would rate Carton Court in Maynooth as an estate?

Lived in Carton court as a student, that is now 15yrs ago. There were a lot of other student houses at the time. Houses themselves are standard 70s type build, not very well built but not bad. Both houses I lived in had never been renovated.. never, I'd imagine most of the others were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

Same as anywhere, depends on the neighbours, some big houses though. Not too many double fronted 4 beds in Maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Just want to double check that you are not asking about Carton Grove though. Some of the old "tenants" are starting to return to the locality already.

Berserker wrote: »
    Just want to double check that you are not asking about Carton Grove though. Some of the old "tenants" are starting to return to the locality already.

They 'travelled' back for xmas? On the building site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

mloc123 wrote: »
    They 'travelled' back for xmas? On the building site?

Not sure what you mean by that. Carton Grove is not far off completion and most of the houses are occupied.

Berserker wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by that. Carton Grove is not far off completion and most of the houses are occupied.

Now I am not sure what you meant by old "tenants", I assumed people squatting on the grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

mloc123 wrote: »
    Now I am not sure what you meant by old "tenants", I assumed people squatting on the grounds

I would assume its the two caravans parked up on the footpath once you turn towards Dunboyne at the blacklion?

If only there was some halting site nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

mloc123: If you have a point to make - make it. Cut out the digs.

tHB

mloc123: If you have a point to make - make it. Cut out the digs.

tHB

My point is... why would travellers set up camp blocking a footpath when there is a halting site 50 metres away. No digs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That is effectively a housing estate and not open for additional caravans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, looking for more opinions on kingsbry. Brilliant location but is it rough or full of students?

It has a lot of students but it's reducing year on year. The 80s houses are very badly built. But they are large and pyrite-free.

The fitted windows were crap so there are a lot of very cheap 90s replacements, of awful quality and sometimes installed from the outside so people can break in with a butter knife (seriously). Budget to replace all the windows and doors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

We bought in Kingsbry three years ago. We haven’t had any issues with students at all. We live near a walkway so would sometimes hear them heading out around 11/12 or coming home later but only if I happened to be awake anyway. The main issue is the selfish parking by some people in the estate where they park directly across from another car barely leaving room to pass or in some situations not leaving space at all.

I’d agree that the houses need a bit of work - windows and doors along with heating upgrades and insulation.

Overall we’re very happy here - like the location of the estate, we have nice neighbours, a decent garden, comfortable house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

Kingsbry is totally fine, superb location. I'd have no issues if the right house for me was there.

Advertisement