Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Am the Master of My Fate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

zico10 wrote: »
    Clinchers with aluminium rims. I rode with a disc, which I'm not sure I'd do again. They certainly weren't as plentiful in Mallorca as they normally are at races.

So all you on the descending then. had wondered if carbon braking surfaces contributing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

tunney wrote: »
    So all you on the descending then.

100%
    had wondered if carbon braking surfaces contributing.

I know I wasn't using them, but out of curiosity how might they have contributed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

100%

I know I wasn't using them, but out of curiosity how might they have contributed?

in a nutshell, the braking on a carbon braking surface is pure sh1te and it can make people very very nervous. Its grabbier and less powerful.

tunney wrote: »
    in a nutshell, the braking on a carbon braking surface is pure sh1te and it can make people very very nervous. Its grabbier and less powerful.

They might have helped me go faster in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Not much to say Alan, gutting to come so close to a KQ spot. You will get there, i sound like a broken record but the work done the last two years will not be wasted and you will get to Kona.

Race selection will be crucial. See you in Mont Tremblant next year ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It also crossed my mind that long course duathlon could be a really good sweet spot for you, with avenues to get international competition and achieve ranked goals while you still have peak run years?

Not WTC and all the buzz though, obviously.

The very best of luck regardless.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Given the way you chased the last 6 weeks or so after the spill in Thailand, do you think it's time to look at working with a coach or mentor? You think your gains will be marginal at this stage. That's might be true if you stay self coached. Who knows what might be possible with a fresh pair of eyes? Might things have been different after the spill if there was a coach to talk with?

It's hard to be certain and as I've said elsewhere on boards talk is cheap, but I do think having a good coach to run things by would have made the difference. I was sort of lost after the fall and a lot of the sessions I did probably did more harm than good. How well I ran in the race on Saturday, despite not running anywhere near the distance I would have liked, would seem to confirm this.

Does this mean I'll get a coach for next year? I still don't know. There's plenty of them out there and they can't all be good. In fact I've heard much to tell me they're not. Much like how I feel on power meters, a coach can't be the answer to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

In the run up to my A race this year I had a number of big weeks planned in July, at the end of one of them, with another big week remaining before starting to ease back I ended up completely exhausted and not managing fully hit the sessions - this was partly due to training, but also life getting in the way. My coach restructured the week and the planned run in to the race on the spot. That was the most valuable thing I think I got out of two years coaching - 90% of what I got out of it I could have realistically done for myself, but some of the reactive stuff and advice was invaluable. That obviously depends on the coach too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

It's hard to be certain and as I've said elsewhere on boards talk is cheap, but I do think having a good coach to run things by would have made the difference. I was sort of lost after the fall and a lot of the sessions I did probably did more harm than good. How well I ran in the race on Saturday, despite not running anywhere near the distance I would have liked, would seem to confirm this.

Does this mean I'll get a coach for next year? I still don't know. There's plenty of them out there and they can't all be good. In fact I've heard much to tell me they're not. Much like how I feel on power meters, a coach can't be the answer to everything.

I hear you. There's plenty of chancers out there. I'd say you'd smell the BS and be able to tell a good one from a bad one from taking to them before any agreements were made. Plus, you know a few people that could probably recommend one that would suit your needs.

That said, it's not for everyone and is an additional expense to consider.

I hope you enjoy some downtime over the coming weeks. It's well earned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

You've to also remember that not all coaches suit everyone. A good coach for person A might not be a good coach for person B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I am glad you did not qualify what's the point being a kona tourist ?
    Just keep going and in 2 years you will be a contender in kona the last 3 month obviously did not work for you at the same time that's a legit sub9 performance when I look at the top 2 guys result . At the same time in kona you need to be 8.40 material with a solid swim
    Ps the only thing I saw either your first or 2nd bike segment split was as fast as timo brachts and havering seen you on your tt. There is a chance you started bike to fast .
    Could well be wrong as I had only a v short climps at result
    Anyway not a bad race considering your last 3 month
    And it is also true for a lot of guys when they focus on swim it does not work out immediately but again if you want a kona contender and not a tourist ...

They might have helped me go faster in this case.

peter kern wrote: »
    I am glad you did not qualify what's the point being a kona tourist ?
    Just keep going and in 2 years you will be a contender in kona

So you think I shouldn't try qualify for 2016 at a race over the summer?

Monday 21st September
    a.m.
    Swim
    1,900m straight
    Totals: 0.5hrs – 1,900m

p.m.
    I was coaching some of the kids in my school for running during lunch time today. I gave them a 330m TT at the end of the session. I joined in with them just to test my injury. Some of the kids weren’t happy with only one TT and wanted to do another one, so I got a second chance to test my injury. The runs were on grass and very short, but my Achilles passed the test.

Cycle
    15:00 warm up,
    {6:00 Olympic effort & 4:00 recovery} x 5
    Totals: 1.0hrs – 34.0km

S & C
    20 minutes leg work
    Totals: 0.5hrs – n/a

Tuesday 22nd September

a.m.
    Swim
    200m warm up
    12*50m off 70 seconds (47-48 seconds)
    200m cool down
    Totals: 0.5hrs – 1,000m

p.m.
    Run
    Race rehearsal, 10km with 3km @ PMP
    9.17km in 40:06, 4:22/km
    1) 4:37, 2) 4:22, 3) 4:12, 4) 3:55, 5) 3:48, 6) 3:51, 7) 4:10, 8) 5:06, 9) 5:08
    As well as this being the final run primer in the marathon program I’ve been following, I used it to test would my Achilles hold up to fast running. I wanted to run the marathon paced section under 4:00/km, so I increased my speed as each of the initial kilometres went by. I was running loops of The Playing Fields in The Park and it was more of a struggle when running into the wind. Rather than accepting things would even out, I pushed harder during these moments and finished the 3km well under target. As <4:15/km is all I actually need for a sub 3 hour marathon, I thought I might as well try run at least one kilometre at this pace on tired legs, so I ran the 7th kilometre at this pace. I switched off mentally though and had to push harder to do this at the end of the 1,000m.
    I never doubted I’d be capable of running the 3km at the desired pace, but to finish a run without any pain was a huge relief.
    Totals: 1.0hrs – 9.17km

Wednesday 23rd September

a.m.
    Cycle
    Turbo;
    10:00 warm up,
    2:00 hard & 2:00 recovery,
    1:00 hard & 1:00 recovery,
    0:30 hard,
    8:00 steady
    2:00 hard & 2:00 recovery,
    1:00 hard & 1:00 recovery,
    0:30 hard,
    5:00 cool down
    Totals: 0.5hrs – 19.0km

I’d a short session with my physio before work. I have made a lot of progress with my injury and I’m confident I’ll be able to get through the race on Saturday without it slowing me down.

p.m.
    After work, it was straight to the airport to catch a flight to Mallorca.

Thursday 24th September
    a.m.

Run
    Approximately 11km easy
    I did this almost as soon as I woke up and got it finished before there was any heat in the day.
    Totals: 1.0hrs – 11.0km

p.m.
    Cycle
    Approximately one hour with 6 x 100 revs at high intensity
    This was as much to check the bike was in proper working order as anything else.
    Total: 1.0hrs - 40.35km

S & C
    20 minutes gentle rolling and stretching
    Totals: 0.5hrs – n/a

Friday 25th September

a.m.
    Swim
    25m pool
    600m with every fourth 25m fast
    I would have liked to have gone to the swim venue, but it was far handier to just use the pool in my hotel.
    Totals: 0.0hrs – 600m

p.m.
    Cycle
    About one hour easy
    Total: 1.0hrs – 28.0km

I’d planned a run as well, but I was on my feet for longer than I would have liked today and decided it wasn’t necessary.

Saturday 26th September
    Race
    Ironman Mallorca
    Report to follow
    Totals:
    Swim; 1.0hrs – 3,800m
    Cycle; 5.0hrs – 175.6km
    Run; 3.0hrs – 42.2km

Sunday 27th September

Diddly Squat

Weekly Totals;
    Swim: 2.0hrs – 7,300m
    Bike: 8.5hrs – 296.95km
    Run: 5.0hrs – 62.37km
    Other: 1.0hrs

I don’t want to get bogged down in analysing my race right now, but looking back on my opening post, all I can say is my plans for Kona 2016 haven’t gotten off to the best start.

In response to questions about my swim. I've already said I'm certain the course in Mallorca was longer this year than last. The discrepancies in the pros' times prove this and there are plenty of other stats I could give that back this up.

Also while I might have avoided the bumps and thumps that go with a mass start, the rolling start meant I had nothing like the drafting benefit I got last year. Drawing comparisons between the two swims doesn't tell much of the improvements I have made.

It would have been a great start to my race to finish under 60 minutes. I thought it was possible, but it was still an ambitious target for me on an accurately measured course. And honestly I'd no real reason to expect it.

KG as it's you who asked; I know my time wasn't all that fantastic. And yes I know many people, yourself included, put in less hours and get far better results. But what can I do about that? I'm not swimming slowly on purpose. I can't be certain what they really think, but the two coaches I have and who both saw me once a week seemed to be happy with both the effort I put in in and the progress I made.

I don't need to be told I'm doing fantastic to keep me motivated and I appreciate the advice you give. But telling me I should be swimming faster simply because of the time I spend in the water, isn't looking at the wider picture. For numerous different reasons, people are going to improve at different rates. You simply don't seem to understand that you're naturally a better swimmer than me.

I know my swim times don't impress you and I wouldn't expect them to. They don't impress me either. But instead of criticising my 1:01:34 swim, it would be better to evaluate the progress I've made in the pool over the last 12 months.

My best wetsuit 3,800TT this year was 9 minutes 27 seconds quicker than last year. I have been swimming 100s off slightly faster times and the new wetsuit I got is definitely worth a few extra minutes, but the improvement as far as I see it is mainly down to the longer swim sessions I've been doing. Perhaps I could have spent the time better, but my primary goal in adopting the high volume approach to swimming was that it'd make me a more efficient swimmer. I know exactly where I stand, but times have improved across all distances this year. Peter Kern was 5 minutes 37 seconds faster than me in Kilkee last year. The last time we raced over a similar distance in August, he was 3 minutes 18 seconds quicker than me.

I might still be sh!t and I know I'm still giving up way too much time in the swim, but I'm not as sh!t as I used to be. They're are no doubt still deficiencies in my stroke, but I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the approach I took to swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

There's an Irish two time Kona podium finisher that's never swum under 1 hr. Keinle and Carfrae don't swim with the front group. As far as I can tell, the secret to IM is getting yourself to the marathon in a position , and with the ability do do damage on the run.

You appear to have made progress in each discipline this year (yes, the run was the same, but that's on the back of an injury). IMHO there's little point in worrying about the level of progress so long as there is progress. As you say, things develop at different rates for different people.

Notwithstanding mistakes made last year, you made an improvement of 16 minutes year on year. The same again would have you in kona wig plenty of change to spare next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

KG as it's you who asked; I know my time wasn't all that fantastic. And yes I know many people, yourself included, put in less hours and get far better results. But what can I do about that? I'm not swimming slowly on purpose. I can't be certain what they really think, but the two coaches I have and who both saw me once a week seemed to be happy with both the effort I put in in and the progress I made.

I've given you my opinion on that online, and in person, so there's not much more I can add, beyond stressing a couple of things:
    -I've always said people should defer to proper coaching advice rather than listening to the opinion of an online hobbyist.
    -Upping swim volume does not correlate to automatic progress, I never suggested that it did.

You simply don't seem to understand that you're naturally a better swimmer than me.

You sure about that? Perhaps you're naturally a better runner than me. Now where is my breakfast roll?

I want to deal with this before writing up a race report, as it's not really a part of the race. People seem to be under the misapprehension that my bike split this year was better than last. I don't think this is the case. They weren't the same people racing, so I'm not sure how much the following comparison reveals. This year I came off the bike 19th in my AG, last year after a time check at 168.4km and with >12km to go, I was in the exact same position.

This next comparison should reveal more though. The winner of the 30-34 AG this year, Jon Unanue, finished one place ahead of me last year. Even with my mistake, my bike split was over 6 minutes quicker than his. This year he was 2:40 quicker than me. I'm sure he improved over the year, but I'd find it hard to believe it was by this much.

Last year I went out kamikaze style on the bike. I deliberately took it easier this year to save myself for the run. I might have paced it better, but it's not true to say I put in a more impressive bike split this time round. I think I've made progress on the bike, but my bike split in Mallorca isn't evidence of it.

As I've said before, I don't think Mallorca was the best choice of course for me personally. But then had I been 10 seconds quicker, I wouldn't be dwelling on this so much. I didn't need to be a whole lot quicker to get my Kona ticket. That is all I wanted from the race and until last night I was resolute in that I'd never be going back to Mallorca. Now though, I'm of thinking not to go back and qualify from there would be admitting the course got the better of me. Perhaps I can postpone Kona for another 12 months and if I do and if I keep up my current level of training, I'm bound to be in better form for it. Also as far as Ironman races go, I'd say Mallorca works out as one of the cheaper ones to do. I know the setup over there and there'll be no pre-race stress involved in going there. I could feasibly get over once or twice before the race next September and get used to that damned descent. Then there's plenty of things I could do in Ireland to remedy this as well. Either way I don't think Mallorca is going to sell out anytime soon, so I still have plenty of time to make a decision on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Any chance Joh Unanue had a mechanical issue on the bike last year?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Any chance Joh Unanue had a mechanical issue on the bike last year?

That's admittedly a possibility I hadn't considered, but it doesn't suit my argument, so we'll assume he didn't.:)

But seriously I doubt it. His run time improved by 7:22, so I think it's fair to assume he improved as an athlete over the 12 months. The difference in his bike splits over the two years is 21:50, this would be in line with Timo Bracht's which was 20:11. Even though I added extra distance to my bike last year, I was only 12:58 quicker. I'll go into things deeper in my report, but my cycle was an absolute disaster if you just look at it like.

These faster times happened because the course was changed and it was shorter by about 6km.

• Advertisement

Swim
    34zatjt.jpg

That'll do, that'll do!

I’d been gearing up for a non-wetsuit swim all week and was annoyed with the decision to declare it wetsuit optional. I hadn’t been in the water at all, but from racing here last year, I was worried that I was going to start overheating. The rolling start really irked me also and I think it is a slight to those who are genuinely there to race. I know I shouldn’t have been wasting energy worrying about either of these things which were outside my control, but I couldn’t find the Zen like place that would allow me put them out of my mind.

Marshals were holding placards indicating estimated swim times and I nudged my way into the mass of bodies around one holding a sign reading ‘60 minutes’. There was lots of people ahead of me who I assumed were confident of swimming fast times. I wasn’t standing here for long when the race started. We were ushered across the timing mat and into the water, where I immediately started passing people who from how slow they were swimming had absolutely no business taking up the positions they did at the start. My first experience of rolling starts has taught me just to be an ignorant curmudgeon the next time I’m racing an Ironman event, and stand wherever the hell I like as it’s obviously what a lot of other people do.
    I wasn’t getting thumped and bumped about anywhere near as much as last year. It made for a mostly contact free swim, but the drafting benefit of a mass start was gone. Most of the feet I did get on, were those of people who had overestimated their abilities and weren’t moving fast enough for my liking. Because of this most of the first 1,000m or so out to the first buoy were swum off my own steam.

I found someone’s feet after this and was happy with the pace they were swimming. I’m pretty sure it was a lady I was drafting and I did my best not to hit her feet too much. Not out of any sense of chivalry though I should add. She brought me to the next bouy, at which we turned and started heading back to shore. The bouys were large and well placed, it was easy sight. I was staying on the feet of my personal vanguard, and I thought she was swimming straight.

It felt like a long way back to land and when we finally did get to stand up for the Australian exit, I could look at my Garmin, which told me I had swam 2.5km in 35 minutes. I was sure this was longer than it was supposed to have been. But if I had indeed swam 2,500m in this time, I would have been more than happy.

My goggles weren’t as tight as I like and I got a chance to readjust them running in for the second loop.

One or two much faster swimmers passed me on this lap. They were swimming pretty fast, well under sub 60 pace. So wherever they placed themselves at the start, it must have been as out of position as the slower swimmers who stood well in front of the one hour placard.

It was a pretty uneventful second lap until we were a couple of hundred metres from land. I thought other swimmers were behaving rather civilly up until now, then some ignoramus decided he was going to put the hammer down and tried to swim straight over everybody else. A swimmer beside me backed off and let him through. I wasn’t prepared to put up with his bullsh!t though and as I was finishing my stroke used the opportunity to dunk his head under the water. I'm not proud of this and I don’t generally resort to such things. I’d never strike someone under any circumstances, but he didn’t give a fnck about anybody when he tried to swim straight over me and the swimmer beside me, so I was just giving him a taste of his own medicine. This took the wind out of his sales and he fell right back.

Just to make sure he wouldn’t be able to exact revenge, I put in a bit of a surge and left him even further adrift. The water was shallow enough to stand up soon after this and when I decided the majority of swimmers were stading, I did so too. It was still above my knees and I wasn’t exactly moving quickly through the water. I tried two dolphin dives, before giving up on this and wading my way into shallow water before I could start running up to T1.
    I got another chance to look at my Garmin here. It read 4.1?km, which would back up my suspicions that the course was slightly long. My Garmin seems to have wiped the data from this race, so whether this was due to me not swimming straight is hard to know. But 300m would be a long way to swim off course. It could also be due to the Garmin misreading the distance, but I was happy enough that it accurately measured the bike and run.

The results on the race site has the course at 3.9km and gives me an average pace of 1:35/100m. Assuming all this is accurate, if I took this time away from overall finish time of 1:01:34, I would have completed 3.8km in just a second under the hour mark. It would be nice to have this to my name, but there’s always next year.

Despite this I was happy with the overall time I had done. I hadn’t gone hell for leather at any point and felt fresh and ready to take on the bike.

Time: 1:01:34
    Race Time: 01:01:34

T1

After exiting the water and crossing the timing mat, the plan was to get in and out as quickly as possible. This isn’t exactly how it worked out, but I don’t really know where I wasted the time. I chose to wear cycling shoes and didn’t fancy trying to get my feet into them on the fly. So I had them in my bag and put them on in the changing tent. It was a long transition and running in cleats was not the fastest way to get out of transition. I was on my way to my bike when someone told me I’d forgotten my number. I’d left it on my bike, but I wasn’t thinking and my immediate reaction was to think ‘Oh f*ck!’, I turned around and started running back to get my number from my bag. I realised where it was soon enough and turned around to tell the busy body do-gooder to mind his ‘own f*cking business’, but he was well gone and I put it out of my mind.

Time: 00:04:59
    Race Time: 01:06:33

Cycle
    24x3vjd.jpg

Riding Through Alcudia - Champs Elysees-esque

I’m of the opinion that any triathlon race comes down to the run and if you can’t run well, then it’s game over. But it’s on the bike where you are going to make the biggest gains, so I wanted to put in a decent split. I knew I was going to have to push to make up ground, but I wasn’t sure how well I was going to run either and I didn’t want to be starting the marathon on jaded legs.

For this reason I chose to ride conservatively. Looking back it’s possible I chose to ride too conservatively and even allowing for my poor descent later in the race, I judge I left anything between 5-8 minutes out on the bike course. It’s probable going 5-8 minutes quicker would have ended up costing me on the run though. This was only my third ironman and I’m still a novice. It’s possible only by racing another few, will I find out if my approach to the bike was sensible.

Once out on the road, it was much easier pass than it was last year. I could see far less evidence of drafting as well. Both of these were due to the rolling start they had in place for the swim, but I was fairly certain the people challenging for the top 6 in my age group were well up the road.
    There was still a long way to go, so I wasn’t going to panic about this. I kept passing people and it wasn’t until about an hour into the race that people seemed to be bothered by me going by. There were a couple of people whose pride seemed to be hurt by me passing them. They overtook me a couple of times, only to drop off the pace, whereby I’d pass them again.

One Spaniard was infuriating me in how he was cycling, he’d pass and immediately and very noticeably slow down. I passed once and told him to either hurry up or stop overtaking me. He didn’t seem to care and this back and forth continued for about for about 20km, at which point I though ‘Fnck this!’ and surged to get away.

From here I got back to Alcudia being able to cycle at an effort that I wasn’t being forced into holding. Cyclists came together here and I fell into a pacing line. One French guy, named Frederic, seemed determined to lead out. He had the cut of a strong cyclist, so I gladly let him lead and was content to fall back and let him set the pace. There were five cyclists in this pace line and when the leading French guy was pulled away, I moved up from fourth to second and closed the gap that had opened up.

About 20km later, it was just me and the Frederic left from the ad-hoc pace line that had formed. He was getting out of his saddle more than I thought necessary and it looked like he was tiring. I moved ahead of him after we passed through the town of Pollença, just before an ascent of 500+m. He was bigger than me and I thought this would be the last I’d see of him.
    When the hill came I dropped down to my small ring and spun an east gear up the hill. I stopped passing people and it occurred to me that perhaps I should be pushing harder. There was a sizeable group ahead of me, that I knew I could have caught had I just been willing to work for it. I stuck with my guns though and kept pedalling at an easy effort. I passed one or two early on, but it wasn’t long before people started to pass me, including the French guy, Frederic, I thought I’d dropped for good earlier.

An Irish guy came up beside me at one point and I did something I very rarely do in a race and exchanged pleasantries with him. After a small bit of chit chat he went ahead of me. I knew the guy personally and while he’s a strong athlete, I felt he really shouldn’t be beating me up a climb. I increased me effort slightly and got to the summit before him.

I’d saved a lot of energy climbing in the manner I did, but looking back I think I should have kept hammering it and recovered on the descent. The energy saved allowed me concentrate better though and although I knew that some very fast fast hairpin bends were ahead of me, at least I was approaching them fully switched on.

I’d told the Irish guy I met on the climb that I was a sh!t descender and he told me later this made him determined to pass me as early as possible coming off the mountain, which as it turned out was soon enough. A la Samson and Delilah seemingly, never admit your weaknesses.

Anyway, he wasn’t the only one who passed me and I tried not to get too demoralised by how bad a descender I was in comparison to everyone who went by. I was sitting on the brakes way more than was necessary and I spent too much time looking over my shoulder, slowing to allow others to pass safely. I think next time, I’ll just let them worry about getting round me. As with the start of the swim, it pays to be a selfish f*cker and not to worry about anybody else’s race.

I came off the mountain still on my bike and in one piece. There was just one village to pass through that was a technical challenge for me at least, before it was safe to let rip once more. It was after about 140km that I started passing people again. The numbers I was passing though were far less than earlier in the race. I came out onto a highway just short of 150km. We were cycling up to a turnaround point and I was able to see those ahead of me on the opposite side of the road.

There was quiet a few of them and they were holding a good pace line. I was on my own and I was going to have a hard job to latch on. The turnaround couldn’t come soon enough and when it did, it didn’t lift my spirits, as I was facing into a strong headwind and was a good few minutes down on the cyclists up ahead. I did my best to hold an aero position whilst still putting the power down, but it was a wide open road and the wind was energy sapping. With nobody coming into view, it was hard to stay motivated.

A few cyclist had been dropped and I’d made up a few places when we got to the village of Muro. (Latin for ‘wall’, which I think isn’t just a coincidence.) We turned left and faced into a very short, but steep incline. I’d remember this from last year and was ready for it, dropping down to my small ring in advance the climb. Others were caught out though and I passed two or three on this ‘wall’. I was out of the headwind and on a nice, straight, fast downhill stretch, after cresting the hill.

This road brought us into the town of Sa Pobla, where we turned right onto a road and back into a headwind. It was a lot more sheltered than the open highway we had been on earlier, so it wasn’t as much of a factor. I passed the 170km sign soon after and did a time check. There was no way I was on for a sub 5 hour bike, which given the bigger picture didn’t matter a fup. But still it would have been nice to say I manged it and it was a rough goal of mine starting the day.

I was suprised then when we arrived back in Port d’Alcúdia shortly afterwards. The finish line had to be approaching very soon and I thought there was no way I had cycled anything close to 10km since passing the 170km sign. I saw afterwards that my Garmin recorded the course as being only 175.5km, other guys I was chatting to afterwards said the same. I was delighted coming off the bike to have finished this leg in under 5 hours, but it’s not a legitimate sub 5 hour split, so it’s nothing to be proud of.

I was happy with how my fueling strategy worked. After the first hour, the plan was to take a gel every 20 minutes and a salt tablet every hour. I drank to thirst and when I was running low on water, I’d replace that and when I was running low on isotonic drink, I’d replace that. I never ran out of fluids, but I sometimes forgot to take a gel or salt tablet. I had to take bars at some of the aid stations instead of gels, but none of this ended up costing me and I finished the bike feeling well fueled and still with quite a bit in the tank.

Time: 04:58:23
    Race Time: 06:04:56

T2

It would have been awkward to get my feet out of the cycling shoes I was wearing, so I stayed clipped in and cycled right up the dismount line. After racking my bike, I bent down to take off my shoes and started the long run up to the rack where my run bag was hanging. After 5 hours on the bike, I felt extremely heavy legged and I didn’t know how I was going to get through the marathon doing anything other than an awkward shuffle.
    After grabbing my bag with a bit of help from a marshal, I shuffled into the changing tents and sat down. As I was wearing a top that covered my shoulders, I didn’t have any need for the sun scream that was on offer. The Irish guy who had left me behind on the descent was changing on the bench opposite and we exchanged a few short words before he left to start the run. He confirmed he was in my AG, but he assured me I didn’t need to worry about him, as he felt I was bound to run faster than him. He hadn’t seen my plod from my bike to the tent, so I wasn’t so sure about this. I put on my shoes, stuck on a visor, took off my glasses, put them back on again, left on my cycling gloves (as I planned to shove ice cubes down them at the aid stations) and took off out of the tent. My legs felt a lot better after this and I was more optimistic about the marathon as I crossed the timing mat to transition in what I think was a respectable time of 3 minutes and 10 seconds.

Time: 00:03:10
    Race Time: 06:08:06

Run
    2qmzoxu.jpg

V for Victory
    - Or at least what I thought had been a successful race

I’d taken two gels, a Nurofen tablet and a tube of Vaseline out onto the run course. I felt a slight twinge in my left calf 60km into the cycle and had brought a Nurofen with me for such an eventuality. Unfortunately it had fallen out of the pocket in which it was stashed, and I finished the cycle with the ever present worry that I was going to be stopped dead in my tracks at some point.

Luckily it never turned painful though and it didn’t slow me down. Just to be sure though, I necked the Nurofen straightaway and washed it down the with one of the Iso-gels, which allowed me run straight through the first aid station.

My plan was to keep the first few kilometres steady (the entire first half in fact), and if I could manage to get to the half way point in less than 90 minutes, I’d have a better idea if sub 3 was a realistic aim. I wasn’t prepared to flog myself in pursuit of a time and adopted the mantra ‘Slow and steady wins the race’.

I largely tried to run off feel and thankfully I was very comfortably running sub 4:15/km pace for the first three kilometres. I’d my Garmin displayed to show what I thought was ‘Average Pace’ for the current kilometre split, but when the third peculiar time flashed at the end of KM 3, I realised it was displaying average pace for the overall run.

I switched it to the average pace I wanted to see and found I had to push a little bit harder than I had been to run at sub 3 pace. This was no big deal though. I told myself I was running an Ironman marathon and asked myself did I really expect it to be easy.

The kilometres steadily went by and I stuck with my fueling strategy of a gel every 20 minutes. The Nurofen I had taken earlier did a good job in keeping an inflamed Achilles at bay. I was passing people at a steady rate and bar one of the pros who flew by me and some overly enthusiastic age groupers on their first lap (who I soon overtook again), nobody else passed.

I figured not too many people would be running as well as me and I was surely making up ground on others in my AG. As the run went on, more and more people joined the course. The route and aid stations got more and more congested, but I kept moving as best I could trying to forgive the morons who for no apparent reason would veer off a straight line and cut in front of me.

I was just taking the run one kilometre at a time and by and large, they seemed to roll by quickly enough. After reaching the half way point, I switched from gels to Coke and this gave me a new lease of life. There was an extra spring in my step and with Coke being far easier to absorb than the gels, my stomach settled.

My tactic of putting ice cubes into my gloves was working and I never felt like I was overheating on the run. It’s definitely something I’ll do again, I just need to figure out a quicker way of getting them into the gloves. The tube of Vaseline I carried proved very useful and it was liberally applied to my nether regions whenever needed.

I approached the final aid station and with only 3km to go, wondered did I really need to stop. In the end I though ‘Feck it, what’s the worse that could happen?’ I slowed down to grab one final slug of Coke and some ice and after this took off relieved that my day was nearlly over.

As my Garmin signalled the end of the 40th kilometre, I contemplated putting the hammer down and pushing for the line from here. I didn’t though and the same idea entered my head when I finished the penultimate kilometre. I couldn’t muster the enthusiasm here either and just kept going at the effort I’d been holding all along.

It wasn’t going to be sub 3, but I was on for a good time and I told myself, wherever I finished in my AG, I had raced well, I hadn’t needed to slow down too drastically, the injury problems I had over the last few weeks hadn’t resurfaced, I got through the bike without any mechanical problems, or without coming a cropper. It was a good day and if it wasn’t good enough, then so be it.

I approached the turn off for the finish line and dumped the tube of Vaseline. I took off my cycling gloves and shoved them down the back of my shorts, as I thought they’d look ridiculous in my finishing photo. I picked up the pace one final time and crossed the line with a 3:04:17 marathon for a total finish time of 09:12:23

Time: 03:04:17

Overall Race Time: 09:12:23

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Super report Alan. I don't know anything about training for or racing an ironman so I'll stick to what I do know and say ... The clean shaven look suits you ;)

Invictus
    BY WILLIAM ERNEST HENLEY

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That's the finish line pose that all the best people pull Zico. :)

That's the finish line pose that all the best people pull Zico. :)

Fingers not fully extended, it was a bit half hearted. I wasn't sure if I had anything to be celebrating to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Great report, should be required reading for anyone attempting this distance for the first time next year.

Very enjoyable mid-morning coffee break zico, ta :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

peter kern wrote: »
    And it is also true for a lot of guys when they focus on swim it does not work out immediately

Had a read back over your swim training zico and this comment stood out as gold. If you did exactly the same training for another year you'd be much faster next race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Really, really nice report, zico....and quite informative too!! (note to self: don't f*ck with zico during a race! ;))

A few questions pop into my head looking at your photos -
    1) Did your goggles ever fog? I see you had an opportunity to fiddle with them at your Australian dismount (or whatever you called it), but did fog ever cause you any issue?

2) What kind of helmet did you wear...and what kind of shorts are those you had on while on the bike? They are long...and it looks like you wore those on the run too? Not much leg showing there with your compression socks too!!! ;)

3) How many bottles of water/drink did you carry on the bike? I see your aero bottle...and one in the cage. Was that it? Or did you carry another? I'm trying to decide on 2 or 3 bottles on my day...and it's the weight of them that is making me consider only 2.

4) Good lord!! Clean shaven zico looks like he's only 12 years old!!! Did you have to show proof of age at the race??? :)

P.S. Well done, and congratulations once again!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Had a read back over your swim training zico and this comment stood out as gold. If you did exactly the same training for another year you'd be much faster next race.

On what are you basing that statement Kurt ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Great report zico. Fully convinced you'll get the slot. Not on last year. Not on this year. But on the drive and commitment. It'll come

Advertisement