Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat, revisited 20 years on

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    In reality? It would never happen. Simple as.

Really? I saw two lads running around Paris last week shooting up the place with kalashnicovs being fired on by police....and there you go thinking gun battles in urban environments are works of fiction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Really? I saw two lads running around Paris last week shooting up the place with kalashnicovs being fired on by police....and there you go thinking gun battles in urban environments are works of fiction.

I choose to ignore most daily news as I like to be optimistic ;)

Were any innocent bystanders shot by the French police on the Paris streets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

A couple of interesting little facts about the film that I forgot to mention earlier.

-The only robber using
    a different assault rifle from the others in the main bank heist dies. This robber is Michael Cherrito, played by Tom Sizemore. He is carrying an Israeli Galil 7.62mm, while the others are carrying M16 assault rifles.

-The only robber to
    survive the entire film is Chris Shiherlis, played by Val Kilmer. During the first robbery in the film (the security van robbery), Shiherlis is the only robber wearing a black mask. All the others wear white masks. None of the others survive the film.

Only noticed this after watching the film a couple of times, but it's an interesting little "coincidence".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

One of my favourite films. The heist scene is just pure brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

If
    Neil had killed Vincent
    instead of the other way round and ran off into the sunset, what an ending that would have been!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

For me it is the most unrealistic part of the film. As notorious as the LA police are there's no way that many innocent bystanders would have been risked for four criminals.
    It's based on a real shootout that did happen in the states. Two men wearing very heavy body armor form head to toe and armed with a few assault rifles each held off police on the streets for an hour or so. The police handguns and shotguns could not take them down so a few of them went to a local gun shop and got a few AR15 assault rifles to take them down.

Actually that happened in 1997 but it wasn't far off what Heat showed on screen.

This is worth a watch, has plenty of footage from the scene of the incident Captain Chaos mentions. Watched it years ago but I do remember at the time the shootout went of for a very long time. Go to 35 minutes for the stuff people would think only would happen in the movies.

Police later believe Heat may be the inspiration for their bank raid and methodology.
    LA police aside, Id love to see a link to one bank heist in history in a major city where the police took to firing on the criminals like that at the risk of killing people passing by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

There are now 6 people we need to deal with

3289693-tumblr_lkaw9jarfz1qbf7pgo1_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

really love this. all time top ten movie for me. so re-watchable and great scenes and lines.

Vincent Hanna: I got an idea... of what they're looking at.
    Vincent Hanna: You wanna know what they're looking at?
    Vincent Hanna: I mean - is this guy something, or is he something?
    Vincent Hanna: This crew is good!
    Vincent Hanna: You know what they're looking at?
    Bosko: What?
    Vincent Hanna: Us. The L-A-P-D. Po-lice Department... We just got made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

There are now 6 people we need to deal with

3289693-tumblr_lkaw9jarfz1qbf7pgo1_500.png

I'm the 7th :o. Not sure what it is about the film but I'm not really a fan of it. I can't put my finger on it. I enjoyed it at the time but never felt it deserved its legendary status. Saying that is been a long time since I saw it so it probably deserves a re-watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It deserves a re-watch. Forget the De Niro / Pacino face to face BS. Its two lads having a coffee muttering threats and you can hear both of them thinking "we had drinks last week, is this a ****ing world event".
    As a movie alone it stands the test of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Every couple of months I watch this, lights off with a whiskey.

Mann is one of my favourite directors and I love the visual aspect of his work, the natural light and dynamic it brings.

As for Heat, it just hits all the right notes with me, great score and use of music, DeNiro and Pacino are both excellent, although Pacino might be a tad over the top at times.

And that shootout...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

unplayable wrote: »
    really love this. all time top ten movie for me. so re-watchable and great scenes and lines.

Vincent Hanna: I got an idea... of what they're looking at.
    Vincent Hanna: You wanna know what they're looking at?
    Vincent Hanna: I mean - is this guy something, or is he something?
    Vincent Hanna: This crew is good!
    Vincent Hanna: You know what they're looking at?
    Bosko: What?
    Vincent Hanna: Us. The L-A-P-D. Po-lice Department... We just got made.

You forgot the "Whoo....aaaahhh!"
    Oh wait, maybe I'm just imagining it...

Advertisement