Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming off sweets/rubbish/etc.

Options
  • 11-01-2015 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

I've gone cold turkey from coke, crisps, chocolate, etc in the last 48 hours.

I feel all bloated and my toilet is quite heavy shall we say!! I feel like I've a lot wind/cramps shall we say.

What is happening??? Withdrawal?

I went cold turkey about a year ago and just went back on the sweets after 3 weeks just to ease the pain!! As a background I eat a lot of crap! Over Christmas I might have being averaging a litre of coke a day, 5 packs of crisps, 2 bars of chocolates, sweets and 3 full on meals!

Anyone know what is happening? What should I do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I've gone cold turkey from coke, crisps, chocolate, etc in the last 48 hours.

I feel all bloated and my toilet is quite heavy shall we say!! I feel like I've a lot wind/cramps shall we say.

What is happening??? Withdrawal?

I went cold turkey about a year ago and just went back on the sweets after 3 weeks just to ease the pain!! As a background I eat a lot of crap! Over Christmas I might have being averaging a litre of coke a day, 5 packs of crisps, 2 bars of chocolates, sweets and 3 full on meals!

Anyone know what is happening? What should I do??

Go to a doctor if it's bad. What's your food like now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

How much were you eating to cause a reaction like that? That sounds like overly extreme withdrawals I would have thought. Better off as the above poster said going to the doctor with symptoms like that. After three weeks you shouldn't have been experiencing withdrawals like that even, after 48 hours. What was your diet like recently before you went cold turkey (breakfast, lunch dinner)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

How much were you eating to cause a reaction like that? That sounds like overly extreme withdrawals I would have thought. Better off as the above poster said going to the doctor with symptoms like that. After three weeks you shouldn't have been experiencing withdrawals like that even, after 48 hours. What was your diet like recently before you went cold turkey (breakfast, lunch dinner)?

Maybe I have exaggerated withdrawal sympthoms - I just feel bloated/cramps yet I would have thought I would have the opposite - lighter so to speak.

I'd be murder for sweet rich in fat type foods.

I'd have cereal for breakie, maybe toasties for lunch followed by 5 custard creams, can of coke, 2 packs of crisps and about an hour later maybe a Crunchie and a glass of coke. I'd have a big ol dinner heavy followed by similar in terms of sweets again maybe with vienetta.

I've being doing this since I can remember although it wouldn't be as heavy usual to be fair - I just really tucked into the sweets at Christmas!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Peeky Max

Go to a doctor if it's bad. What's your food like now?

Go to the doctor for a few heavy poos and farting cos he has given up junk food??? No wonder the medical services are over run !!

Peeky Max wrote: »
    Go to the doctor for a few heavy poos and farting cos he has given up junk food??? No wonder the medical services are over run !!

"If it's bad".

I never suggested what he was suffering from at the minute was bad enough to warrant it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Your gut bacteria is trying to rebalance. Take a good probiotic , which should also help the cravings while your good bacteria establish themselves again. Im speaking from experience!

"If it's bad".

I never suggested what he was suffering from at the minute was bad enough to warrant it.

Even suggesting a visit to the doctor for a few wang wangs is ott.

Even suggesting a visit to the doctor for a few wang wangs is ott.

The OP said they were in pain for 3 weeks.

If someone is genuinely in pain for 3 weeks, going to the doctor isn't a terrible idea.

maggiepip wrote: »
    Your gut bacteria is trying to rebalance. Take a good probiotic , which should also help the cravings while your good bacteria establish themselves again. Im speaking from experience!

Sounds good - have not eaten again since 1:30 today and I don't feel hungry and my stomach feels heavy/bloated.

Normally I would have gone through a lot of snacks in the afternoon yet I feel worse now! It's like my system is saying "Being healthy is not cool - give me some junk food"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If someone is genuinely in pain for 3 weeks, going to the doctor isn't a terrible idea.

That was last year op is only off the junks this time for won days

• Advertisement

No they said they had "wind/cramps".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Sounds good - have not eaten again since 1:30 today and I don't feel hungry and my stomach feels heavy/bloated.

Normally I would have gone through a lot of snacks in the afternoon yet I feel worse now! It's like my system is saying "Being healthy is not cool - give me some junk food"

Your system kind of is saying that at the moment because all the bad bacteria want to be fed so youre craving. It s a bit more complicated than that but thats the jist of it. Seriously try a good probiotic "udos choice"is excellent, expensive but think of all the money saved on food! Most cheap probiotics are useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I went cold turkey about a year ago and just went back on the sweets after 3 weeks just to ease the pain!!
    He shouldn't be still exhibiting those kind of symptoms after three weeks of giving up junk food. "Ease the pain" to me suggested that he was experiencing considerable uncomfortable symptoms. So I agree with Alf that going to the doctor might be a good idea, just to get himself checked out, in case there is an underlying issue that just coincided with his symptoms or whether it really is just his body clearing itself after all that bad food. However I would seriously doubt you would continue to have symptoms like that after 3 weeks. But he could have meant that he just gave into cravings and that he wasn't physically uncomfortable.

Last year.

Have you anything useful to add for the OP?

So I just had a 12 inch 4star pizza and a can of club organge - I feel much better. Must people would feel the other way around if you get me.

I genuinely did have cramps 3 weeks in - nothing severe enough to make me go to the doctor but I genuinely didn't feel right without crap food in my system. To be fair I've being eating like this for 25 years or so!

I only came on here just to get more insight really...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi op it will hit your body.

Have you now cut out meals?
    Are you heavy if you don't mind me asking?

I done this about 2 years ago and was getting headaches and all as I was a sugar junky.
    I am a big coke drinker and have been get my head around it last few weeks and have been weaning myself off over time as in cutting down slowly.
    I am back drinking more water and eating breakfast as never really had any previous, while trying to get use to and wanting to eat more meals like lunch and dinner as I would also miss quite a lot and just eat absolute rubbish.

I would say don't just stop right away try working on it a bit slower.

Hi op it will hit your body.

Have you now cut out meals?
    Are you heavy if you don't mind me asking?

I done this about 2 years ago and was getting headaches and all as I was a sugar junky.
    I am a big coke drinker and have been get my head around it last few weeks and have been weaning myself off over time as in cutting down slowly.
    I am back drinking more water and eating breakfast as never really had any previous, while trying to get use to and wanting to eat more meals like lunch and dinner as I would also miss quite a lot and just eat absolute rubbish.

I would say don't just stop right away try working on it a bit slower.

No still eating full proper meals so to speak - just not following up with a pack of custard creams!

Shockingly I am quite thin - simply don't put on weight.

I think I will try come of it gradually!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

maggiepip wrote: »
    Most cheap probiotics are useless.

Any evidence probiotics cheap or expensive have any affect?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Fairly sure this is a troll thread that everyone is going daft over!! 😆

No I was being 100% serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Aggy13

Hi.I suggest eat more vegetables, exotic fruits and drink two liters of mineral water a day.You be fine in the next two or three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I wish I saw this when it was first posted.
    Heavy poo's and gas are usually signs of pretty bad constipation, thats what i was told when this happened to me at least. I said to my GP that I was having fairly big ones but not regularly and he told me thats a classic sign.
    To deal with this you need to see a Doctor, OTC laxatives don't work for this.

Advertisement