Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's this diet plan?

Options
  • 11-01-2015 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I'd try and add in more veg there somewhere. Maybe a homemade or veg soup for lunch? carrot and celery sticks as snacks and another veg with your dinner, preferably a green veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Thanks for including how many calories you need to stay under to lose weight, helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Why choose low fat yogurt for breakfast?
    Seems to be very high carbs...Musili for breakfast, a wrap and 3 pieces of fruit for lunch, all high in sugar!!
    I think more protien at breakfast and try loose the wrap at lunch, try a chicken and avacado salad, chicken and veg stir fry...that kind of thing!
    Also Id be having one piece of fruit at lunch! Berries would be better again, blueberries or raspberries!

I'm sure others will have better advice, but that's just what I noticed quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Whats that meant to mean? Just asked for advice on my idea for a diet plan if it was healthy or not and all you have to contribute is sarcasm..

What are we supposed to tell you about your diet for losing weight if we can't even tell if the diet will help you lose weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Maybe for dinner you could do stir fry's, introduce a lot of veg and have whatever meats you want, chicken, beef, pork, fish, duck etc. (all with visable fat removed).

Also for lunch have salads some days instead of wraps all the time.

Make your own soup also, loads of veg chopped small, with dried soup mix (lentils, pearl barley etc), soak the soup mix first, sweat off the veg, add the washed soup mix, add in chicken/veg stock. Will hold for a few days and very filling and almost fat free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Will do thanks. But overall is it a good diet to loose weight. Im back football training aswel.

It's only a good diet if the portion sizes are right.

It looks fine, and you're probably doing enough to lose weight but if you're eating too much you still won't lose weight. You'd be surprised how quick the calories will clock up in spuds, nuts and oils for example, even though they're all traditionally 'healthy' foods.

Find out how many calories you need to meet your goals and adjust your portions accordingly. Still though, I'd be surprised if you're overdoing it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

OP, use something like this to work out what you need to lose weight:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Then use MyFitnessPal to calculate how much that diet would give you. Portion sizes determine how good it will be for losing weight.

• Advertisement

Whats that meant to mean? Just asked for advice on my idea for a diet plan if it was healthy or not and all you have to contribute is sarcasm..

You're kind of asking the wrong question. You're diet's probably healthy, in that it won't kill you and you'll probably feel fine while you're on it, healthy is a very loose definition for a diet.

However, a healthy diet is not necessarily the same as one designed to help you lose weight. They'll usually be similar alright, but they aren't the same thing.

If you want to lose weight then it's more important to come up with a calorie controlled diet of good food, and base it on things like your age, height, weight and activity level. That's what will determine your weight.

Cheers. The portions aren't too big but I am a big guy, 6ft 2 and 23 stone. I play football most nights, walk about 5 kms a few nights and Im constantly on my feet with work. My biggest vice was the drink and takeaways. Hopefully cutting them out will help big time..

You're a big guy, and fairly active. I'd be shocked if you're eating too much tbh. Still though, look up your calorie requirements (using Alfs link above), it's always useful to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭AnimalChin

It actually looks as though you're not eating enough going by what you've told us.

Go to that Scooby website and check your calorie requirements...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I just get overwhelmed a lot of the time by everything. There's so much to take in and try and grasp.

Just break it down to what calories should you be eating and how much you are eating. The diet, as you've listed is fine - I'd tweak a few things in an ideal world - but for now it'd ok so just look at the calories you need and what you're consuming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I just get overwhelmed a lot of the time by everything. There's so much to take in and try and grasp.

There is an excellent sticky thread on this forum, Nutrition 101, well worth a read.

I can recommend the myfitnesspal app/website for tracking food.

My own thoughts are that, while you'd probably lose weight on that diet, it looks quite miserable and you could probably get much better "value" for your calories. But if you read the thread mentioned above you'll hopefully find some ideas.

Best of luck with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Hi guys. I'm trying to get some weight down for a wedding in March. Im off the drink, fast food and fizzy drinks so thats helping. This is my diet plan I've come up with. Let me know what you guys think. Cheers:

BREAKFAST
    1 low fat yoghurt
    1 bowl of muesli with milk
    Lemon and hot water first off

SNACK
    Almond nuts during the day

LUNCH
    1 wrap with salsa, chicken, a slice of Edam cheese and a tomato
    1 banana
    1 apple
    1 orange

DINNER
    1 chicken breast with a bit of olive oil and some random spices cooked in the oven alongside some carrots and potatoes.

I drink about 3 litres of water a day and have a very physical job in construction.

Any tips or advice are very welcome. Cheers lads..

Sticking to being on a diet is unsustainable over the long term. You don't need to count calories. All you need to do is remove or limit grains and sugar. That includes the cereal, wrap and fruit. Essentially eat a low carb diet.

Never choose low fat anything. For example eat full fat Greek yogurt instead if low fat yogurt.

You really shouldn't need to snack if you eat real full fat foods.

Download myfitnessapp and make sure you eat under 150 grams carbohydrates daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Be mindful of products that say low fat especially yoghurt because it often means it's loaded with sugar more so when there is fruit included. Try Liberte yoghurt instead which has more protein (9g per 100g) and far less sugar (3g per 100g) with zero fat. One piece of fruit a day is enough. Fruit depending on the type can be quite high in sugar try as someone else suggested berries. Any product think that has over 5 grams of sugar should be limited.

Replace the potatoes with sweet potatoes and ditch the wrap you could easily make up a lunch with those things in the wrap without the wrap and add in more chicken. :) Be careful of muesli as well especially if shop bought as it can contain unwanted added ingredients like excess sugar and salt. Also if the muesli contains dried fruit you are added even more sugar to your diet. Why not try porridge with nuts instead? Alternatively, make home-made muesli. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭AnimalChin

This is what the website gave me

I'd guess you're consuming about 1800 at most on the what you posted.

So given what you're eating and your strenuous job, you'll definitely lose weight....

...it looks like you're living on a huge calorie deficit. Aim for about 500-750 less than what your total days calories should be.

Having said that, there are more than one ways to skin a cat and you could take some of Bruno's suggestions onboard and just limit grains/carbs and be a bit less strict with calories...

Just my two cents.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Peeky Max

Hi guys. I'm trying to get some weight down for a wedding in March. Im off the drink, fast food and fizzy drinks so thats helping. This is my diet plan I've come up with. Let me know what you guys think. Cheers:

BREAKFAST
    1 low fat yoghurt

SNACK

LUNCH
    1 banana
    1 apple
    1 orange

DINNER
    1 chicken breast with a bit of olive oil and some random spices cooked in the oven alongside some carrots and potatoes.

I drink about 3 litres of water a day and have a very physical job in construction.

Too much sugar not enough calcium. Try adding low fat cheese and sardines instead of so much fruit.

Peeky Max wrote: »
    Too much sugar not enough calcium. Try adding low fat cheese and sardines instead of so much fruit.

Yes eat cheese but eat full fat. Low fat cheese shouldn't exist. It didn't exist before the 1960s / 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

BREAKFAST
    1 low fat yoghurt

SNACK

LUNCH
    1 banana
    1 apple
    1 orange

DINNER

Breakfast:

Full fat yoghurt
    Porridge and berries
    Eggs 2 of them. Scrambled, boiled, poached or omelet with leftover meat, pepper and tomato. Pair with grilled bacon/ meat from leftovers.
    Leftovers from last nights dinner in general.

Not all at once obviously. Vary it and mix it up.

Lunch:

Ditch the wrap make a salad with some spinach leaves or any geeen leaves you fancy. No dressing outside some yoghurt, herbs and lemon juice (Homemade). Add more way veg to it.

Fish of any kind. Especially fish steaks. They're expensive but generally I'd get 3 meals from a €11-12 Tuna steak. Makeral, sea bass, cod etc. No batter, no Donegal catch. From your local fish mongers/market.

Soups buffed out with lentils. Literally idiot proof. Make a batch on Sunday and freeze for the week. If you dont like lentils pair it with some other meat/protien source.

One piece of fruit. Preferably berries.

Dinner:

Meat/lentils/Quinoa pair with at least 3 veg of the leafy green kind. Vary it up. Chicken every night is boring. All meat is fine Lamb/beef/turkey/pork*/fish. Pair with Kale/Cabbage/broccoli/spinnich/Pak Choi plus other veg. Lashings of ground black pepper if you cant stomach the tastes. Lay of the spud if you can. Brown pasta, brown rice if you must. Not great for weight lose but hey we're not all perfect.

Cook in coconut oil over olive oil. Its calorie dense so go easy but it's better for you then most cooking oils.

Bars/crisps/sweets/beers all fine in moderation. Are they great for you? No. Will one Mars bar a week make you fat? No. Dont go mad.

Water spread out over the day not all at once.
    Walking with a view to running. With all respect you seem a little heavy for running, you cause yourself impact injurys. Staying injury free is vital to losing weight. Start slow and build towards an achievable goal. Eg running one mile continually this time next year. With smaller goals in between.

THE most important thing in losing weight is running a calorie deficit as people have already pointed out to you.

Everyday wont be a good day. There are days where you just cant be arsed and cave to a curry and a night infront of the telly. Dont throw it all away after that happens. Get right back on the horse the next day.

It was brave to admit that you have a problem. Hopefully you can start here and now with a healthy lifestyle that you can stick to. Don't think of it as just losing weight until March and then falling into bad habbits again. Good luck! :D

*try and get organic eg nitrate free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Peeky Max

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Yes eat cheese but eat full fat. Low fat cheese shouldn't exist. It didn't exist before the 1960s / 1970s.

Of course it does. Analyse feta vs Camembert

Peeky Max wrote: »
    Of course it does. Analyse feta vs Camembert

You said eat low fat cheese which implies buy low fat versions of cheese. There is no reason to pick one over the other. Eat all cheese. Don't eat low fat versions of anything.

Advertisement