Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people more cowardly now?

Options
  • 10-01-2015 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

do we run away from fights and trouble? Is it all about being a cool hipster?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

No.

It's more about not getting my handsome face smashed in because some gob****e thinks he has absorbed all of moyross and is it's spiritual leader and will lead the revolution of knackers, after a bottle of linden village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Be a bit hard to run in them skinny jeans, I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Excuse me, I don't run. I glide away gracefully on my Segway, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

If your talking about physical fights then running away isnt cowardly, its smart. Nothing brave about being a thug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

I prefer to avoid fistycuffs. Iv had my fair share of it in the past but would never look for it.

There have been enough reports of a guy getting one punch and being fcuked up or dying after hitting his head off the ground. I don't want to be on either end of that scenario.

I'd obviously fight if given no choice but not as a result of drunken stupidity or casual misunderstandings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Set a girl getting clattered. You step in and confront the boyfriend. She turns on you :rolleyes:

It's not cowardly OP to walk on by, it's just experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What do you mean with the cool hipster rubbish?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

An old work colleague used always say, A good run is better than a bad stand, wise words I always thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

do we run away from fights and trouble?

I think it's the opposite. Today people run towards trouble, but not to help out or save anybody. But rather so they can upload their patheticness onto shyte sites like FB ect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

I'm a coward and I am very afraid to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've often come close to fistycuffs on nights out but I always do everything I can to avoid physical confrontation even if it means swallowing my pride. Simply not worth the bother. At worse, it could result in a few nights in Casualty. At best, you'll be fúcked out on your arse or into the back of a paddy wagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

yea its all internet warriors now, back in my day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Avoiding fights or trouble is not cowardly. Now, to the question. Yes people today are more cowardly than in the past. Now they are all bluster on the internet and afraid to be honest in real life. Today people bitch and complain online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Yes, they are more cowardly, mostly because they are more selfish.

Young men, especially.

It's to do with consumerism, the cult of "me". Any sense of loyalty, honour, community or personal dignity has been superseded by the classless worship of possessions and ostentatious posing on and off social media.

Combine this with the feminisation of almost every section of society and you'll see why we don't produce as many good men anymore. Men in general and positive male role models in particular have disappeared from schools and are disappearing from homes. As a result, we see a feral class of violent young men and another class of self-obsessed, smug physical and moral cowards with fewer striking the happy medium of something in between.

We are now producing generations of cowards in the West.

Or are we more enlightened? Have we reached a point where we realize there has been nothing gained from "winning" fights and that merely entering a fight makes everyone a loser from the outset?

Then again - with how the law has gone on things like self defense where people get attacked - kick the crap out of their aggressor - and then end up getting prosecuted in one form or another - is there even a point any more?

Anyway vague question vague thread - what are you REALLY asking us.

And - er - ya starting on me are ya bud ya wanna go do ya - do you want your go?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

I think if you're any way career orientated your hands are pretty much tied. Conviction for assault and the cost of a civil case could break you.

Wouldn't be one for mindless violence but if I saw somebody getting picked on or a friend getting hassled i'd be far more wary of the legal/career side of it than the physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

DeadHand wrote: »
    Yes, they are more cowardly, mostly because they are more selfish.

Young men, especially.

It's to do with consumerism, the cult of "me". Any sense of loyalty, honour, community or personal dignity has been superseded by the classless worship of possessions and ostentatious posing on and off social media.

Combine this with the feminisation of almost every section of society and you'll see why we don't produce as many good men anymore. Men in general and positive male role models in particular have disappeared from schools and are disappearing from homes. As a result, we see a feral class of violent young men and another class of self-obsessed, smug physical and moral cowards with fewer striking the happy medium of something in between.

We are now producing generations of cowards in the West.
    Oh for the days when men were men, and would bravely throw themselves in the path of bullets and artillery fire on behalf of some inbred aristocrats squabbling over some insignificant patch of land in central Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clermont1098

Anyway vague question vague thread - what are you REALLY asking us.

And - er - ya starting on me are ya bud ya wanna go do ya - do you want your go?

Why do you think I am asking you anything other than I did?

The last line sounds threatening. Or are you trying to mock a certain type of people? Either way it's in poor taste.

Why do you think I am asking you anything other than I did?

You missed my point. I asked you to be more specific about what you were asking. not "other" than "what you did".
    The last line sounds threatening. Or are you trying to mock a certain type of people? Either way it's in poor taste.

"taste" which may have been marred by your previous misconception alas.

• Advertisement

You missed my point. I asked you to be more specific about what you were asking. not "other" than "what you did".

"taste" which may have been marred by your previous misconception alas.

No. You asked what was I really asking. That means that you thought I didn't ask what I asked. Why do you think that?

Taste would be offended by a threat. Taste would be offended by mockery of people for their accents. I think so anyway.

That means

Do you want to tell me what I was asking before you stop and listen to what I am telling you I was asking.

Well in that case.... please tell me what I might think next... given you know my mind more than I do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Are people more cowardly now?
    I'm afraid to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

What's the story op? You wanting to start a fight club? Oh crap I just said fight club.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

1915 - a white feather: a mark of cowardice.
    2015 - a white feather: a cushion stuffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Once a group of men attacked and punched my wife over her retaliating to some lude comment on passing.
    We were attacked in the streets of NY by five of them.

Always thought I was a bit of a coward until then. I started punching for all I was worth after they struck her.

We got the **** kicked out of us . Both of us gave as good as we got. Would not think twice to do it again.

Things like this happen and when they do, you will shine through your fears.

It would have to be something fairly major like that, for me to unleash my Kung Fu on bad people.

Do you want to tell me what I was asking before you stop and listen to what I am telling you I was asking.

Well in that case.... please tell me what I might think next... given you know my mind more than I do :)

None of that makes any sense in connection to what I said. Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

50 years ago two reasonable men might have had a disagreement and sorted it out with their fists. Nobody would have been properly hurt - maybe a blood nose or a few bruises.
    Times have changed. Reasonable men don't fight anymore. If somebody comes at you with their fists raised you can't be guaranteed of your health the following morning. It makes sense to run and hide. It's not cowardice. It's sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

whupdedo wrote: »
    An old work colleague used always say, A good run is better than a bad stand, wise words I always thought

A wise work collegue of mine used to always love going to the other branch for a long stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Listen san in every county town around the country every weekend there's men squaring off with each other. Dreadful scenes fueled by alcohol, and from all walks of life, I've witnessed professional men getting sideways in a heated argument before outside our local Indian restaurant.

The Irish have a rep for being non confrontational, (bitch behind your back and not do anything) whilst sober, put drink into them and the true gael fighting grit comes out.

Advertisement