Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent free flights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Someone I know did this last time around. When trying to book they were told that the only flights available were to London Gatwick or stansted (can't remember) and no other locations, and it was going over at 6am or something like that, and returning at 7am. These flights would have been very cheap anyway. Not worth it imo.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

I also saw this and thought it required further checking as it includes taxes and the flights all over Europe.
    That fact it included all taxes looked appealing to me.
    You need 10 tokens (assume cost of €22 minimum) from the Indo/Sunday Indo (up to 26th) and an entry form.
    Send the 10 tokens and entry form off and receive a voucher to book a return flight.
    It doesn't mention anything else on the form but I assume you would have to book the usual early departure flight out that nobody else wants and if you wanted to travel on a weekend, there is a supplement?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I wouldn't buy that rag for all the tea in China.

Considering its the largest selling daily paper in Ireland a lot of people do buy it and I'm sure they are more interested in the free flights rather than why you choose not to buy it.

Constructive posts only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Free outward only? Rubbish bargin so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

degsie wrote: »
    Free outward only? Rubbish bargin so.

Not for someone planning a trip anyway. They do save.

Not all bargains suit everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Not for someone planning a trip anyway. They do save.

Not all bargains suit everyone.

Definitely, this is a good deal for me. Some people just like being negative I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Can't find the Ts&Cs for this anywhere. Anyone help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Definitely, this is a good deal for me. Some people just like being negative I guess.

Why is it a good deal for you though? Do you know where youre going, what day etc. already. A one way free flight to london (for €22 euros!) at a time of their chosing ... hmm you might get cheaper on ryanair at your own chosing
    I spse the devil's in the detail, so id rather see the t&c first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Is it not for a return flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Is it not for a return flight?
    Well the headline in the link below certainly says so ("Get Your Free Return Flight") There's no link to the T&C's though which I would be looking to see before doing anything with this.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/exclusive-content/get-your-free-return-flight-30889326.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/free-flights-terms-and-conditions-30900291.html

The Devil is in the details. Looks more like a travel lucky dip to me. Fine if you travel alone and can go at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

You have to give three alternative destinations and three alternative months for travel and if you don't show up for the flght you're given there's a 85 quid 'admin' fee.

So basically they pick the flight for you and you have to go.

Not for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How dare they offer a free flight. Assholes! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 conorbarrett2

Anyone any ideas how I can get Saturday's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Tazz T wrote: »
    You have to give three alternative destinations and three alternative months for travel and if you don't show up for the flght you're given there's a 85 quid 'admin' fee.

So basically they pick the flight for you and you have to go.

Not for me.
    **** me that sounds ****e. I'm collecting them but I only have a couple of set dates I can go. Who can go on any date in a month that they choose? Did you need to get a voucher in yesterday's Sunday independent?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone any ideas how I can get Saturday's?

ask a newsagent if they've any left out the back, they might not have sent the barcodes back yet

I looked at the T&Cs and decided this isn't for me- having to give them three alternative destinations and three alternative months you can travel makes it too much of a lucky dip for me tbh. Might suit those who buy the paper everyday but if you don't do that I don't think this is worth the hassle compared to just shopping for cheap flights yourself. This offer seems more like a bottom feeding exercise to fill airline seats that would have gone unsold in any case

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

A second passenger may travel with the voucher holder for €99 return, plus
    airport taxes and any applicable handling fees. Any additional passengers will
    pay the standard airfare and taxes that apply at the time of booking.

That's not cheap!
    €99 plus taxes & Fees :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

That's not cheap!
    €99 plus taxes & Fees :eek:

Thats bloody expensive if you book the DUB LDN route! Is there any chance they would give you the same dates if you sent off together? Or are they making their money off people who cant travel together??!?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

househero wrote: »
    Thats bloody expensive if you book the DUB LDN route! Is there any chance they would give you the same dates if you sent off together? Or are they making their money off people who cant travel together??!?

good point, the T&Cs don't seem to mention anything about if you send in two sets of tokens together if they will give you both the same flight options. Probably not unless they explicitly say so and they don't. So it looks like €22 to buy the papers to get the free flight and a further €99 to take a partner. It might still be worthwhile for the likes of Rome, Barca etc but if two of you had to get to London Stanstead at 6 in the morning for the return flight then you've been had by this scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I did an application last year. Got a return flight to Oslo. Didn't bother going though as the dates didn't suit me. I'll probably chance it again this year. We buy the newspaper daily anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 cavanman..

househero wrote: »

You won't get the same dates, even if you request it, I've tried it before. Like a previous poster said, it suits someone travelling alone, who's flexible with dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Probably an idiot but on the forum you send in that is on the Independent, it doesn't let you pick three destinations? Do they send the application then VIA post?

dogcat wrote: »
    Probably an idiot but on the forum you send in that is on the Independent, it doesn't let you pick three destinations? Do they send the application then VIA post?

Yeah you send away the tokens first, and then they send you an application form.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Conte

The Terms and Conditions on the form on the newspaper says

Full Terms and Conditions can also be found at
    *Irish Independent website link*

The 'also' in that line to me implies that all the T&Cs were already disclosed on the printed form.
    A case for the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland in my opinion.

I would never buy the Irish Independent normally so I feel a bit cheated to be honest after buying 10 copies of it. I didn't even read it. I just cut out the tokens and dumped it.

in my experience, all these newspaper flight deals turn out to be a bag of poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

I used this before and went to Edinburgh last year for a few days with the same offer.

It probably suits those with flexibility of decision-making timewise and maybe better if travelling alone, as the flights I was eventually offered were the 3rd choice in terms of location and timescale.

But I was able to accumulate most of the tokens for the current offer without buying an Indo, personally.

However, having said all that, I'm one token short! :(

So...if anyone has and can spare just one of token #s 1, 2, 6, 7 or 9 - I'll take it please!

(I can get 2 more from someone who has them all).

Btw, I'm assuming there were 12 in total between 10 - 23 January, and didn't include Sunday Independent?

I am missing #6 but I got token #11 instead so I hve 10 so it's grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Gergiev wrote: »

But I was able to accumulate most of the tokens for the current offer without buying an Indo, personally.

However, having said all that, I'm one token short! :(

So...if anyone has and can spare just one of token #s 1, 2, 6, 7 or 9 - I'll take it please!

(I can get 2 more from someone who has them all).

Got sorted overnight - full complement now...

Has anyone got a response back yet?

• Advertisement

No response yet.

Advertisement