Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in Poultry

Options
  • 10-01-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi, We are considering getting some hens for their eggs this spring. I was looking up online info on the departments website. I was wondering has anyone here ever registered for a flock number and if so is it worthwhile and are there annual inspections etc? And are there grants available for organic poultry farming or grant in general for a secure housing area. Finally, could someone inform me if there is legislation with regard to keeping a rooster. It would be on a small plot located on a beef farm and is approx. 250m from our neighbours house.

Any info is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

A rooster certainly won't need any legislation!
    It's been a couple of years since we had any but this Information Document download should let you know what's up. I'm pretty sure it's a one off inspection as the details are to be used in the event of disease outbreak eg bird flu.

Application form for flock number. You'll need to have that filled out and sent in regardless of having one or twenty hens. I'm fairly sure there's no grants etc for coops or fencing for them but it'll be a very small expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I registered my flock of 12 three years ago. I received my flock number and have never had an inspection or even as much as a phonecall.

Advertisement