Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitfalls of buying a pre-63 property?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Does a pre 63 property have to be in continual occupancy to retain its status?

Do material alterations in a pre 63 property that is in multi units require planning permission, fire certification and a commencement notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It really depends on what you want to do with it.
    just saying that the property was refurbished some years ago - and was compliant with the regulations then.
    Then they'll have no problems producing the architect's, engineer's, electrician's and plumbers certificates and before & after drawings and photos? :pac:

Note that bed-sits with shared facilities are no longer legal, but studios are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joolab

The work was completed in the last year or two. I have checked with DCC Planning and Dublin City Fire Prevention Officer and there is no commencement notice, fire certificate, planning application and disabled access certificate for the material alterations which are significant.

I am bidding against an investor and I believe due to these anomalies he will have major issues. My intention is to return the 8 unit bedsit back into a family home. All advice would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

How old is the property? It may not be possible to get a fire cert but it may have been brought up to as close to spec as possible. For example, Georgian houses

What are your concerns about the commencement notice or lack of planning? Planning may not have been required for the works that were carried out?

What were the material alterations? Was it in fewer units?

Is the property listed? http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning-heritage-and-conservation-conservation/protected-structures If so, any changes (as opposed to routine maintenance) would likely need planning permission.
    Joolab wrote: »
    Does a pre 63 property have to be in continual occupancy to retain its status?
    Generally no. It would be more a matter of the use (residential -v- commercial, etc.) and the layout / structure. Changing from multi-occupancy to single occupancy and back to multi-occupancy might be a bit fuzzy.
    Do material alterations in a pre 63 property that is in multi units require planning permission, fire certification and a commencement notice?
    Probably yes. You would need to get professional advice as to what constitutes a material alteration in such a case.
    Joolab wrote: »
    The work was completed in the last year or two. I have checked with DCC Planning and Dublin City Fire Prevention Officer and there is no commencement notice, fire certificate, planning application and disabled access certificate for the material alterations which are significant.
    It is possible such documentation wasn't needed.

Do ask for architect's, engineer's, electrician's and plumbers certificates and before & after drawings and photos? Watch them squirm. :)

If converting back into a family home and it isn't listed, I understand that can be done without planning permission, but you will need to check this in detail. Alternatively, just apply for planning permission.
    I am bidding against an investor
    For all you know, this is a figment of the estate agent's imagination.

• Advertisement
Advertisement