Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitfalls of buying a pre-63 property? [Old thread]

Options
  • 24-05-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Going to look at a (multi-unit) pre-63 property early next week with a view to buying. I'm aware that regulations have changed in recent years. I asked the estate agent to confirm if the property is fully compliant - but they are non-committal in answering that directly - just saying that the property was refurbished some years ago - and was compliant with the regulations then.

From the description, it seems to satisfy the minimum standards as outlined here (not sure about separately controlled heating but will check that out when viewing).

I need to get up to speed on what to look for before viewing. Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Has it been fire proofed? Central fire alarm system installed? What level of refurb? Is it very old? Checks for dry rot etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Like any old house ,it,ll need a full structural survey.
    it ,ll probably have low levels of insulation.
    Does it have modern electrical wiring, smoke alarms.
    IF you are thinking of buying it, you,ll need to get a survey if your offer is accepted.
    Be wary many old houses ,have cracked ,or damaged tiles , on the roof,
    which can cause leaks into the attic ,
    which can cause damage ,after a certain amount of time.
    A tiny hole in one tile can cause a large leak when it rains.
    Have all the windows been replaced with modern pvc units.

Are sofa,s chairs made of materials that are fire resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

garhjw wrote: »
    Has it been fire proofed? Central fire alarm system installed? What level of refurb? Is it very old? Checks for dry rot etc?
    Won't know until I view it I guess. Was refurb'ed in 2002 and compliant at that point - to what extent, I'm unsure. Is a terraced property - old (100+ years) and ber exempt.
    riclad wrote:
    IF you are thinking of buying it, you,ll need to get a survey if your offer is accepted.
    I think this is the way I'll have to approach it i.e. any offer subject to full survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Won't know until I view it I guess. Was refurb'ed in 2002 and compliant at that point - to what extent, I'm unsure.
    I'm that as a "no, but I'm not admitting it's a no". It'd be foolish for someone to lose the pre-63 rights, as it's my (limited) understanding that it does give them a lot of leeway in terms of regulations should they keep the pre-63 property thing.

Oh, and consider this; if it were
    Was refurb'ed in 2002 and compliant at that point
    do you really think that it would not, therefore, be sold as a pre-63 property? I think legislation came in recently (last few months) about it, and I'm guessing someone doesn't have the funds to update it, so selling it off as is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

the_syco wrote: »
    do you really think that it would not, therefore, be sold as a pre-63 property? I think legislation came in recently (last few months) about it, and I'm guessing someone doesn't have the funds to update it, so selling it off as is?
    It is being advertised as a pre-63. However, whether it continues to be compliant following recent changes I'll have to get to the bottom of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think the difference for pre-63 property, is it did not have to comply with certain fire regulations, re windows, doors, exits, etc. which apply to property built after 63.

This meant a pre-63 house could have more rental units in it, versus a house built in say 1965. I think all flats now come under the new regulations brought in to force about 2 years ago, e.g. each rental unit must have its own bathroom.

A pre-63 house will have many defects, e.g. maybe dry rot, rising damp low levels of insulation, old single pane glass windows.

A good surveyor will find these flaws, and give you an estimate as to how much it, ll cost to fix them, and bring the house up to a reasonable standard which will allow the house to be rented out or lived in by the buyer.

The good thing about old houses is in general the walls tend to thicker, the rooms may be bigger, e.g. ceilings higher than a modern semi-d house.

The rules re rental properties and rental units have changed a lot since 2002.

It used to be in Dublin you could buy an old house relatively cheap, i.e. one that needs major repairs, renovation, ie one that needs 20k plus of repairs to be carried out.

I'm not sure if this is still true considering the rise in Dublin prices in the last year.

Is it compliant in in terms of letting it out as a rental unit, if you are buying this house as an investment, or do you intend living there yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BenIrishHome

Makeorbrake, did you buy this pre 63 in the end? Interest in hearing how you got on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

riclad wrote: »
    I think the difference for pre-63 property, is it did not have to comply with certain fire regulations, re windows, doors, exits, etc. which apply to property built after 63.
    In planning permission terms, as they were subdivided already, they could retain that status. Newly subdivided properties needed planning permission, but development standards generally prevented such small units.

Advertisement