Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael O Leary

• 09-01-2015 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

Saw on the sky taskbar that he's on the Late Late to night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Part of the knew cuddly image?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Don't forget the free advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

roundymac wrote: »
    Saw on the sky taskbar that he's on the Late Late to night.

Again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

I loved what the band done at the end of his intro music. a bit of the 'arrived on time' horn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

It's an over simplistic interview (as well as side stepping mentioning the Waterford Embraer 110 reference)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Classic O'Leary, just said to Tubridy.

"Children are a bit like f*rts, you can just about tolerate your own!"

And he's just given everyone in the audience a free return flight to one of their twice a day business destinations

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Classic O'Leary, just said to Tubridy.

"Children are a bit like f*rts, you can just about tolerate your own!"

And he's just given everyone in the audience a free return flight to one of their twice a day business destinations

But they have to pay their own taxes :pac::pac:

I'd love to see a really good in depth interview with MO'L - I'd say it would be fascinating.

Hopefully at some time in the future he'll do a proper book.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

man98 wrote: »
    It's an over simplistic interview (as well as side stepping mentioning the Waterford Embraer 110 reference)

Would you expect more with Shrubbery doing the 'interview'

(in what looks like an attempt to mimic the Leno/O'Brian set from the US)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭KnotABother

I was interested when Tubs asked about if he was "proud Ryanair was Irish". It was quite obviously a question swerved by MOL but none the less it was interesting to see it put to him.

Had he said yes it would rail rather interesting against their cockpit hiring policy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Google Ryanair millionth passenger and she, Jane okeefe was dealt with
    By MOL and how the court came out on her side, he cannot change, but FR is bigger and better than MOL

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

What's this Waterford Embraer 110 you speak off?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Well using Google
    We are told this was their first plane and base , wasn't it Waterford Luton?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

A319er wrote: »
    Well using Google
    We are told this was their first plane and base , wasn't it Waterford Luton?

Yea I see that, there's a link to a recent Twitter #throwbackthursday, just wondering what the poster meant. I only half listened to the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I think it was plain to see that MOL was clearly there to try and advertise the business service rather than anything else. Tubridy brought it up at the start and again at the end before he gave away the free flights. I like how MOL immediately mentioned that the free flights were not to the Canaries, as if anyone was gonna think they were gonna get their summer holiday flights off him!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

That's the second or third time he's been on the Late Late, last time he was on he was slagging off his pilots calling them glorified taxi drivers FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭billie1b

roundymac wrote: »
    That's the second or third time he's been on the Late Late, last time he was on he was slagging off his pilots calling them glorified taxi drivers FFS.

I know a good few pilots who call themselves the exact same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

McWotever wrote:
    Yea I see that, there's a link to a recent Twitter #throwbackthursday, just wondering what the poster meant. I only half listened to the interview.

Ryanair had very very humble beginnings to Gatwick, eventually spreading out with ATR 42-300s from everywhere to Luton. Early 90s when MOL got to work was then they went 737-200 only (maybe a few BAC 1-11s).

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Johnny901

Ryanair had very very humble beginnings to Gatwick, eventually spreading out with ATR 42-300s from everywhere to Luton. Early 90s when MOL got to work was then they went 737-200 only (maybe a few BAC 1-11s).

It was the BAC 1-11 that really got Ryanair going. They had to fight hard to get approval from the Department for Transport (or whatever they were called at the time) to operate jets. Up to that point it was Bandeirante (15 seater) and HS748 (44 ? seats).

I thought it was a bit mean spirited of MOL to go onto the Late Late Show and limit the tickets, how much profit did they make in 2014 ?

Pity Tubbers didn't seek his views on the IAG bid for Aer Lingus.

Johnny901 wrote: »
    It was the BAC 1-11 that really got Ryanair going. They had to fight hard to get approval from the Department for Transport (or whatever they were called at the time) to operate jets. Up to that point it was Bandeirante (15 seater) and HS748 (44 ? seats).

I thought it was a bit mean spirited of MOL to go onto the Late Late Show and limit the tickets, how much profit did they make in 2014 ?

Well anytime some wants to give me a free ticket and limit the destinations, they should feel free.

Tubbers is far to lightweight to ask about the IAG bid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

The way the audience were cheering and whooping I got the impression they think business class on Ryanair is a lot more than what it is, which as we know is basic stuff like ability to change flights, priority boarding, seats near the front etc., not quite champagne service, lie flat beds, executive lounge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Ryanair had very very humble beginnings to Gatwick
    I believe that they lost something like 900k in their first year of Waterford operations, so if Bonderman / MOL didn't show up, the airline would now be part of Irish aviation history like Avair.

billie1b wrote: »
    I know a good few pilots who call themselves the exact same thing
    Self praise is no praise!!!!
    Johnny901 wrote: »
    Shrubbery doesn't do hard questions.....he wants to be liked far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Bonderman had nothing to do with it. MOL was given the job by Tony Ryan, to save the airline, as it's "traditional" methodology was soaking money up, so MOL went and studied the existing "low-cost" airline set-up and saw that Herb Kelliher's Southwest had the best set-up and crucially, the one most likely to succeed, so he went and met HK, who freely gave him advice and he copied it, lock, stock and barrel, except for two things critical to Southwest's success; good relations with staff and the public, especially a sense of humour. MOL has finally realised that treating people (staff and public)with respect gains the airline genuine respect, as opposed to just contemptuous tolerance.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Bonderman had nothing to do with it. MOL was given the job by Tony Ryan, to save the airline, as it's "traditional" methodology was soaking money up, so MOL went and studied the existing "low-cost" airline set-up and saw that Herb Kelliher's Southwest had the best set-up and crucially, the one most likely to succeed, so he went and met HK, who freely gave him advice and he copied it, lock, stock and barrel, except for two things critical to Southwest's success; good relations with staff and the public, especially a sense of humour. MOL has finally realised that treating people (staff and public)with respect gains the airline genuine respect, as opposed to just contemptuous tolerance.

regards
    Stovepipe

Indeed, from reading a book on FR I believe Bonderman came into things down the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'd love to see a really good in depth interview with MO'L - I'd say it would be fascinating.

Hopefully at some time in the future he'll do a proper book.
    He did a cracking interview on The Business show on radio one. It wasrepeated over Xmas, really entertaining stuff

Yeah the radio interviews tend to be good with him, The Late Late Show is an absolute embarrassment.

He did a cracking interview on The Business show on radio one. It was repeated over Xmas, really entertaining stuff

I watched one on youtube a while back...it was at an ATC conference hosted by the IAA...he spoke for about an hour. Highly entertaining and illustrative even if you aren't a fan. I'll try find it when I get the chance.

Tenger wrote: »
    I watched one on youtube a while back...it was at an ATC conference hosted by the IAA...he spoke for about an hour. Highly entertaining and illustrative even if you aren't a fan. I'll try find it when I get the chance.

This? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

fr336 wrote: »

Isn't that the one where he said "only bullocks go by boat" :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement