Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pack a helmet or carry on?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Fattes wrote: »
    Natasha Richardson is an odd one, she refused medical treatment twice after the accident.

As a beginner helmets are more useful for stray skis and bumps from anything else

Yeah or some ape who thinks they can ski mowing you out of it while bolting through the beginner slopes showing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yeah or some ape who thinks they can ski mowing you out of it while bolting through the beginner slopes showing off.

First run a couple of days ago - I'm cruising at about 30-35 mph when guy passes me at speed in a flying wedge: downhill ski flat straight down the fall line and the uphill ski doing f'all. Utterly out of control.

I try to catch up with him but he simply has the weight advantage, about 240 lbs+ compared to my slight 157 lbs. By the time I get to him he has wiped out, yard sale all over the piste and there's four of us lined up to chew him out.

I swear if he'd hit a kid I'd have hit him with his own skis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

granty1987 wrote: »
    Repeating others now, but I think its possibly more important for beginners to wear it than advanced skiiers/boarders.

I would argue that wearing a helmet or not has nothing to do with your own ability. Beginner, intermediate or advanced the real issue is that you can't control the actions of every other rider on the piste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

MadsL wrote: »
    First run a couple of days ago - I'm cruising at about 30-35 mph when guy passes me at speed in a flying wedge: downhill ski flat straight down the fall line and the uphill ski doing f'all. Utterly out of control.

I try to catch up with him but he simply has the weight advantage, about 240 lbs+ compared to my slight 157 lbs. By the time I get to him he has wiped out, yard sale all over the piste and there's four of us lined up to chew him out.

I swear if he'd hit a kid I'd have hit him with his own skis.

"Yard sale" I'll be using that at the next available opportunity.

Sounds like he was skiing beyond his ability and couldn't stop.

Something like that happened me last year, I was going down a black, decided to take a rest halfway down, so I pulled over to the edge of the slope beside a marker and sat down. Next thing I know there was noise and a flash of light. Some great big clown, boarding beyond his ability lost control and used me to come to a stop. Luckily I was about the same size as him, and he hit me flat on my back, because if I'd been smaller, or if he'd hit me at an angle, her could have done some very very serious damage.

I didn't even know where to start giving out to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Very first ski trip I was on back in the 90s, one of our group was knocked over by an out of control novice on a red slope. She had to be airlifted to hospital then airlifted home for major surgery. The novice ski pole hit her face and punctured through her cheek. She lost part of her jaw and some teeth and has permanent nerve damage. She wasn't wearing a helmet but if she was the damage wouldn't have been anything like it was.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

cormee wrote: »
    Strange rule. I've been snowboarding well over a decade now and I've never seen, nor never had, a snowboard become detached.

Hi Cormee,

Actually seen it in Kitzbuhel this yr. Snowboard flying down slope and hammered into the safety net. Watched for someone to collect it eventually a slob being nice arrives down for it.
    My friend came this yr and we were standing deciding which lift to take when he fell over. I asked was he alright after he got up. He says yes. We get on the lift and off we go ski down the next run I and see he is slightly pale and repeating himself a lot. So I contact the medics. Mild concussion 2 days in hospital. He was wearing a helmet.
    Talking to the medics afterwards and they say the low pace falls are nearly the worst as if you are unable to protect your fall. If you are going at pace its more likely to be an arm or a joint that takes the brunt of the injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Very first ski trip I was on back in the 90s, one of our group was knocked over by an out of control novice on a red slope. She had to be airlifted to hospital then airlifted home for major surgery. The novice ski pole hit her face and punctured through her cheek. She lost part of her jaw and some teeth and has permanent nerve damage. She wasn't wearing a helmet but if she was the damage wouldn't have been anything like it was.:(

Wince....

Advertisement