Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poultry breed availability and cost in the Dublin region

Options
  • 09-01-2015 12:32pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello, I am looking to get hold of a wide variety of Chicken breeds, not for breeding myself but to get blood or meat samples from. All the shops I go to don't have much information on the actual breed or maybe I am missing something. Are their any farmers/breeders who I could buy samples from or who sell chickens for consumption?

For example:
    White Recessive Rock
    Chinese Xinghua
    Silkie fowls
    Cornish broilers
    Short-Leg Yellow
    Red Jungle Fowl
    White Leghorn
    Brown-egg dwarf
    Green-legged Partridgenous

Although to be honest, I would be interested in any and all breeds once I could get a large enough selection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MmC1980

some of them breeds hard to come across. Try carmels poultry outside edenderry and al poultry in collen both within an hour of dublin. probably the best route would be poultry.ie or fowl.ie full of breeders. what are ur plans, u just lookin for differant flavors

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cheers. Alas no. I am doing genotype testing and need different breeds to see if my experiments work. Basically looking at the DNA to see reported differences and see can I see them.

Hence why even just blood would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The chicken in shops are most likely commercial hybrids. I'm not sure on this but I think the gentics of them is subject to a type of copyright
    Ya could try some of the summer shows if that's not too late

ganmo wrote: »
    The chicken in shops are most likely commercial hybrids. I'm not sure on this but I think the gentics of them is subject to a type of copyright
    Ya could try some of the summer shows if that's not too late

Alot of them would be but I won't be mapping out enough information for that to be an issue, I wanted to just check that an experimental method I am trying out works. Since these differences are noted in scientific papers for certain breeds it just simplifies my test if I can see can I get similar results without having to test alot of store samples to see can I see one difference which is unlikely as I presume (rightly?) that most will be quite similar breeding lines with few phenotypic differences, I might pick out that right spot in the genome to see one of these random nonsense mutations but I don't want to waste a load of time in case I am not lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

By 'get hold of' do you mean to take samples from, or do you intend to purchase?
    It might be easier to do the former if you ask enough people nicely.

Not sure I want to know what you are going to do with them if you purchase them!

• Advertisement

El Kabong! wrote: »
    Not sure I want to know what you are going to do with them if you purchase them!

Nothing weird, just testing a sample taken from the chicken and analysing the DNA. Easier if I get a sample of meat or blood so from a lazy perspective would prefer not to get a live chicken.

Aside from this, I managed to get sorted so thanks for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

CramCycle wrote: »
    Nothing weird, just testing a sample taken from the chicken and analysing the DNA. Easier if I get a sample of meat or blood so from a lazy perspective would prefer not to get a live chicken.

Aside from this, I managed to get sorted so thanks for all the help

Wouldn't feathers do the job? Just as a matter of interest!

Shrap wrote: »
    Wouldn't feathers do the job? Just as a matter of interest!

They would, but the extraction process is not as clean, quick or easy. It often happens in these types of experiments that samples from feathers is problematic at best but still doable and I would have looked at it if the other samples were not available.

Advertisement