Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a stone gone...

Options
  • 08-01-2015 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Ok - new year, new health kick!

Currently 5 ft 2, approx 10 st 5lbs - if I got to 9.5 stone, I would be happy.

Diet currently
    - fruit/ yoghurt - breakfast
    - fruit / yoghurt / diet coke - lunch
    - Veg / Potatoes (standard dinner) - Dinner
    - 2 cups coffee / tea per day
    - About 1 litre of water

2 young kids and a husband that works shifts - so very little time for structured excercise - other than the running around and numerous trips up and down the stairs at home.

If I continue as is - reasonable to shift the weight? Anyone have any recommendations for home excercise / dvds?

Maura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's a bit meaningless without portion sizes, especially in relation to dinner.

You could try using MyFitnessPal to plug in what you've listed and see what it gives you in terms of calorie consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Like Alf says it's all about the numbers. You need to know how much you're eating in relation to your daily calorie needs. Myfitnesspal is brilliant for this. Download it, plug in what you're currently eating and see how it comes out. You need to be honest and accurate to get the benefit though. There is some work involved initially with logging and weighing but after a week or so everything you usually eat will be there in 'recent foods' and it's easy peasy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

mauraf wrote: »
    Ok - new year, new health kick!

Currently 5 ft 2, approx 10 st 5lbs - if I got to 9.5 stone, I would be happy.

Diet currently
    - fruit/ yoghurt - breakfast
    - fruit / yoghurt / diet coke - lunch
    - Veg / Potatoes (standard dinner) - Dinner
    - 2 cups coffee / tea per day
    - About 1 litre of water

2 young kids and a husband that works shifts - so very little time for structured excercise - other than the running around and numerous trips up and down the stairs at home.

If I continue as is - reasonable to shift the weight? Anyone have any recommendations for home excercise / dvds?

Maura

Are you a vegetarian. I don't see any protein in there at all except maybe form the yogurt? By dinner time have you basically only had fruit and yogurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Serious lack of protein from lean meat there. I'm just assuming you are not vegetarian. Portion sizes are vital in losing weight. Especially where potatoes are involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Regarding exercise that is achievable with young kids I find the 30 day shred on U Tube great for days I can t get out and its only 20 mins, the kids join in too.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

mauraf wrote: »
    Diet currently
    - fruit/ yoghurt - breakfast /Sugary carbs
    - fruit / yoghurt / diet coke - lunch Sugary carbs/aspatame
    - Veg / Potatoes (standard dinner) - Dinner Carbs
    - 2 cups coffee / tea per day With sugar?
    - About 1 litre of water

Eat eggs or porridge for breakfast. Stirfry chicken with veg, and eat more of that and less spuds. Eat nuts, seeds, and unprocessed foods. Ditch the sugar free fizzy drinks. You wont miss them.

There are so many workouts on youtube I wouldnt know where to start. Search for bodyweight exercises, find one you like and think you can do, and link to it here for opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bogmailer

MauraF,

If you really want to lose weight there is no reason to cut down on what you eat. You just need to chane your diet as follows:

Don't eat:
    Bread, Pasta, Potatoes, Rice, Cereals, Sugary Drinks (including fruit juices), Beer, Cakes & Biscuits

Do Eat as much as you want:

Meat (including the fat), poultry, eggs, cheese, coarse vegetables, fish.

Avoid eating large amounts of fruit also as fruit is full of fructose.

The logic here is simple: It is carbohydrates (particularly refined carbs) that make you gain weight not fatty foods.

If you do this the weight will fall off you and you will not feel hungry.

For more info google "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Gary Taubes and read some of the articles about this excellent book. If you want you can then read the book. Will change how you see food forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Ealasaid

Oryx wrote: »
    Eat eggs or porridge for breakfast. Stirfry chicken with veg, and eat more of that and less spuds. Eat nuts, seeds, and unprocessed foods.

I'm going to try and do this as I need to lose at least a stone too. Not the porridge bit as I can't stand it and don't really like nuts either. But want to eat chicken, fish with veg and no potatoes.

It's the evenings I find hard though, like now, I want to eat something whilst online, maybe I should be exercising instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

bogmailer wrote: »
    The logic here is simple: It is carbohydrates (particularly refined carbs) that make you gain weight not fatty foods.

Great pass me the 5, 000 calories worth of cheese please

Advertisement