Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take Action and stop homelessness!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think OP that your enthusiasm and ideas are commendable.

However I think you need to learn much much more about the issue before going down this route.

I dont mean to sound patronising but instead of assuming you know and understand what homeless people want and need you need to actively engage with them first.

If you set something up that ignores causes such as alcoholism, substance abuse and mental health then its pointless. You are ignoring a huge amount of the causes and consequences of mental health.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

They need a 'permanent' residency/postal address

The guy who died in Dublin had that. His parents bought it 2 or 3 times.

Its quite patronising of non homeless people who dont engage with homeless people on a regular basis to assume that they know all their needs.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Its quite patronising of non homeless people who dont engage with homeless people on a regular basis to assume that they know all their needs.

Yes, I know, but I was speaking purely objectively on how to get them off the streets for starters so they can get social welfare and go from there towards progressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

It's still amazes me that people blame Enda Kenny for this fellas death.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Well the overall aim of the plan is simply to provide warmth, shelter and food. But i completely agree with you all saying that these are 2 hugh flaws in my plan 1) it assumes these people are not addicted to any sunstance and are of a peaceful friendly nature, 2) these people are looking to get back on their feet rather than stay dependant on job seekers allowance.

I dont think that it is possible for me to solve these problems but as long as i know myself that they have the oppertunity to get back on their feet, that i am trying my best to help them and that they have no excuses as to why they cannot recover well, thats about all i can do.

• Advertisement

RoRo979 wrote: »
    Well the overall aim of the plan is simply to provide warmth, shelter and food. But i completely agree with you all saying that these are 2 hugh flaws in my plan 1) it assumes these people are not addicted to any sunstance and are of a peaceful friendly nature, 2) these people are looking to get back on their feet rather than stay dependant on job seekers allowance.

I dont think that it is possible for me to solve these problems but as long as i know myself that they have the oppertunity to get back on their feet, that i am trying my best to help them and that they have no excuses as to why they cannot recover well, thats about all i can do.

3 You are making assumptions about what is needed with a very basic knowledge of the issues or people involved

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Actually is there many people living on the streets that don't have severe social problems or substance abuse issues?
    AFAIK the homeless rate includes people already in temporary accommodation and the street sleeping rate is vastly lower (I have it in my head its aprox 100-200 but I'm not sure where that comes from).

Once people have a hostel place for a week straight I think they can access social welfare so somebody who is not accessing these things is highly likely to have severe problems other than poverty.

The issue IMO is the lack of wet hostels and safety in hostels, its not a very nice thing to say but it is realistic some of the people who are on the streets are dangerous people in certain situations I remember having a conversation with a older homeless man that had been cut up with a stanley knife by other homeless (in Smithfield)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

yipeeeee wrote: »
    It's still amazes me that people blame Enda Kenny for this fellas death.

Try reading the comments on breaking news.. according to them Kenny is to blame for everything.... crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

If trust wasn't an issue you could just let them live in your house. End all homelessness.

Advertisement