Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going skiing alone ?

Options
  • 07-01-2015 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Im probably going to go skiing this year

unfortunately ill probably be going alone as friends are busy

is it a really bad idea to go alone as will be going to non english speaking country obviously, with v few irish around ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭enricoh

no, get a hostel though.
    try ucpa in france mainly french, hapes of swedish there too for some reason, loadsa honeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

aidanki wrote: »
    Im probably going to go skiing this year

unfortunately ill probably be going alone as friends are busy

is it a really bad idea to go alone as will be going to non english speaking country obviously, with v few irish around ?

I went for 5 days by myself a few years ago, didn't enjoy it at all. During the day it was fine, but as soon as the lifts close you're a loose end until the lifts open the following day, very lonely and boring. I did get to watch every episode of the IT Crowd though, so that's something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Plenty of options for group skiing out there, Warren smith courses, Ski club of Ireland, run trips. Chalet holidays are also an option!

You will have fun and meet people, that's what skiing is about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I love skiing on my own. I can go at my own pace, ski the runs I enjoy, start and stop when I want, eat when I want. And it's much easier to meet other people when you are on your own.

The only drawback is that packages seem to be based on two or more sharing, but as mentioned, hostels and UCPA and CIS etc are all great for singles.

By the way, I had a bad accident once when I was on my own, and I found that everyone was brilliant. They looked after me better than if I'd been surrounded by friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

going on my own soon, decided to do ski school so I will have people to talk to.

Bringing enough entertainment with me just in case I am back in the room at 7.30 every night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

I did it alone, had a fantastic time, best holiday I ever had! Did the ski school and met lots of people, loved the slopes in the day, then the food and crack at night and then sprung out of bed to be first on the slopes in the morning. Excellent fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

where woudl u all recommend for going alone ?

what places would u avoid ?

what places have lots of english speakers, ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

I went to Austria, can't remember the name of the resort now but no problem with english speakers, they all spoke it and happy to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭ko4jm6y9iwv2lc

I'm going skiing in Italy on my own next week. It'll be my first time skiing alone, but I've travelled by myself before, and enjoyed the experience. I prefer going with a group, but it's not always possible, especially when you book last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Highly recommend UCPA who are based in most French ski resorts. I book through www.action-outdoors.co.uk, make sure to change the currency to Euro as it is cheaper.

All your meals are included (the lunch and dinner buffets are epic!), all the gear is provided but you can bring your own, ski pass, lessons, accommodation and airport transfers. I booked for the 21st March and the package costs €670!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

went alone in the US once (extended work trip), the skiing was great and I would do it again if I had to, but definitely bring the laptop and your netflix subscription for the night time, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Soll, obviously! You will always find friends in the SalvenStadl/Umbrella bar ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

I've done ski chalets alone a few times, and it works really well. Everyone has to sit around the same dining table on the first night, so you get to know each straight away. Tend to get intermediate couples who are all looking for other people to ski with, otherwise they would be in a hotel.
    The only thing to beware of, is if an extended family group has most of the chalet.

aidanki wrote: »
    where woudl u all recommend for going alone ?

what places would u avoid ?

what places have lots of english speakers, ?

I have no german and have gone to austria 5 times, most people seem to have english. (I should really do something about that)

well soll and westendorf seem to have lots of irish and english.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

d2ww wrote: »
    I've done ski chalets alone a few times, and it works really well. Everyone has to sit around the same dining table on the first night, so you get to know each straight away. Tend to get intermediate couples who are all looking for other people to ski with, otherwise they would be in a hotel.
    The only thing to beware of, is if an extended family group has most of the chalet.

My self and 5 friends have a chalet booked and the other 2/5 rooms have been booked by 2 other small groups so should be interesting to see who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

The UCPA service looks really interesting. I've done plenty of piste skiing, might be interested in a beginner off piste course.

Gonna wait a few weeks and see where it snows.

Can anyone vouch for which courses are best for progressing off piste and where (I'm not ready for La Grave!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

d2ww wrote: »

I went with a crowd called Cold Fusion chalets over christmas, they are geared for solo skiers/boarders so there was no danger of being in with a big group or family. I have to say it worked really well (i've never done the chalet thing before so didn't know what to expect) and it was great to have people to ski with during the day and party with at night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

I go ucpa solo all the time now & love it!! Such nice and varied people.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Posted this on another thread
    not1but4 wrote: »
    I did a solo snow holiday last year but it was a DIY trip. There was other solo travellers in my chalet and met people in my lessons. Was a great trip all in all.

Here are some agents that cater for solo travellers;
    http://www.adventurebash.com/
    http://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/solo-ski-holidays
    http://www.singlesport.com/winter-holidays/
    http://www.pistepals.com/

A over on snowheads.com they organise trip for people on the forum so you could join them. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=108422

Don't get me wrong it was hard booking the flights and then getting on the plane but once I met everyone in my Chalet it was great. I would recommend getting lessons as its a great way to meet people.

I was planning on going solo again this year but after I had harped on about having a great time last year to my friends they wanted to join me.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rye_212

Just booked a week in Ellmau Austria by myself there on Crystal just now. They could only give me a twin room so got a spare bed. If anyone wants to join me, let me know. You just need to fly yourself to Innsbruck.

• Advertisement

rye1967 wrote: »
    Just booked a week in Ellmau Austria by myself there on Crystal just now. They could only give me a twin room so got a spare bed. If anyone wants to join me, let me know. You just need to fly yourself to Innsbruck.

Where are you flying from?

If coming from Dublin, Munich or Salzburg are easier airports :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rye_212

fannymagee wrote: »
    Where are you flying from?

If coming from Dublin, Munich or Salzburg are easier airports :-)

Sorry, yes, my mistype. Flying Dublin to Salzburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Quandary

I spent nearly 2 months skiing in California and the majority of time I was skiing on my own. Was staying with a friend who was working during the day so I used to just head off on my own to the back of the mountain and ski as much as i wanted to!

The evenings were different because I was with my friend and his mates but during the days I found skiing all day alone to be one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. I remember some mornings I would be among the first skiers to do one of the longer runs and used to sometimes stop for a break half way down. There would be no one else within sight and I was in complete silence while being surrounded by amazing scenery. It was the most content feeling I have ever experienced.

As long as you don't take too many silly risks and are a competent skier I would recommend skiing alone to anyone.

a bit different to op but just back from solo trip in soll (so loads of english speakers) and it was grand I did ski school so I had someone to talk to during the day. I didn't end up talking that much to people any way.

I found it enjoyable

sheesh wrote: »
    a bit different to op but just back from solo trip in soll (so loads of english speakers) and it was grand I did ski school so I had someone to talk to during the day. I didn't end up talking that much to people any way.

I found it enjoyable

Ah I didn't realise you we're alone, you should've said! But it sounds like you enjoyed it anyway, who was your instructor?! Hope they showed you a good time! (Interpret that however you choose lol!) ;)

Ah I didn't realise you we're alone, you should've said! But it sounds like you enjoyed it anyway, who was your instructor?! Hope they showed you a good time! (Interpret that however you choose lol!) ;)

Clea also had a private lesson with Marcus they both couldn't have been nicer.

BTW You don't know the name of the musician who does the live sampling with guitar trumpet and bass?

Aww love them. Soll's answer to Posh n Becks lol ;) Any further info on musician guy? Was it Patrick? Or Alex?

Aww love them. Soll's answer to Posh n Becks lol ;) Any further info on musician guy? Was it Patrick? Or Alex?

tall, beardy was doing apres ski in the restaurant/bar to the left of the Gondala station in a small tent during the week saw him in the red horse during the week as well.

Advertisement