Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Reported Murdered at Charlie Hebdo by Islamists

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

TheChizler wrote: »
    Too early to call for definite yet but it sounds like this story could belong here unfortunately.

At least two gunmen have attacked the Paris office of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, killing a number of people, French media report.
    The BBC is reporting that twelve people have been murdered this morning. Here on the internet #jesuischarlie is trending. Other than that, I have no words than these.

333956.jpg

Here's Maryam Namazie on Charlie Hebdo:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/maryamnamazie/2012/09/20/bravo-charlie-hebdo/
    In a climate where Islamist murder, violence and intimidation is cowering many into silence and submission, Charlie Hebdo’s insistence on poking fun at Islam on par with all religions and its refusal to back down despite calls for censorship is one that will be remembered when Islamism is in the dustbins of history. French professor Marlière writes in the Guardian that the magazine’s aim to reassert its leftwing secular tradition in this climate is more anti-Islamic than anti-clerical. But anti-Islamism is this era’s anti-clericalism.

He adds that the cartoons are ‘unhelpful’ in a ‘climate of religious and racial prejudice’ but like the Guardian and many a liberal and post-modernist leftist, he misses the point. What is ‘unhelpful’ is Islamism’s murder and mayhem. Criticising Islam and Islamism is not about prejudice – that is Islamism’s narrative – which has been bought hook, line and sinker by those calling for censorship. In fact, in this day and age, criticism is a historical necessity and legitimate challenge to our era’s inquisition.

Also, what the professor and the Guardian seem to forget is that those most at threat of the Islamist herds are not satirical French publications or even US and French embassies worldwide but the many countless human beings living under Islamism and Sharia law – a lot of them Muslims – who daily face threats, imprisonment and death for their dissent from and criticism – like Saudi Hamza Kashgari, Indonesian Alex Aan, Egyptian Alber Saber and Pakistani Asia Bibi. When will the professor and the Guardian side with them? As the most wonderful Salman Rushdie says: we “need to be braver”. Yes, clearly we do if we are going to stop this barbarism once and for all…

As an aside, of course Charlie Hebdo’s cartoon is different from the despicable and racist Christian Right film, the Innocence of Muslims. But free expression is not just for those we agree with. And let’s not forget a bad film is just a bad film. The real problem that needs to be addressed head on is Islamism and censorship is the wrong response.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

It is being widely report that the gunmen shouted 'we have avenged the prophet muhammad' as they left. I guess this attack has nothing to do with religion...?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So are the gunmen on the run now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

This is what happens when you stand up for freedom of speech and refuse to cave in to Islamist threats. A very sad day for the families of the dead and for freedom of expression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Anyone see the video footage of them killing the policeman?
    The way they just drove in and took control of the street, casually killing anyone who was perceived to oppose them, was exactly the modus operandi of returned Islamic State veterans, and we know a large number of french nationals were/are recruited to IS. This is jihad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

MrPudding wrote: »
    It is being widely report that the gunmen shouted 'we have avenged the prophet muhammad' as they left. I guess this attack has nothing to do with religion...?

MrP

And of course Islam is the religion of peace, lets not forget.

My favourite response so far...

333967.jpeg

MrP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Calling a black person the 'N' word is in no way comparable to printing a cartoon.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

MrPudding wrote: »
    Calling a black person the 'N' word is in no way comparable to printing a cartoon.

MrP

Nor is the response generated.

That article is garbage, essentially blaming the victims for having bad manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Although, print a cartoon of Muhammad having sex with Jesus I doubt you'll have the likes of Fox News talking about how you are practicing your right to freedom of speech and there would plenty of comments about atheists acting like children thinking they are superior to theists and have no respect.

Of course any violent or threatening behavior is wrong and in no way can be justified for such a thing but you won't be making any friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think today more than ever the notion of the world being just and logical is playing on many people's heads. Some actions don't need any justification or reasoning. Maybe these do? I don't know, the point is though that lots of people first make that assumption and fit the narrative to fill it: Something bad happens, there has to be a reason, a justification for why. It's far more comforting a thought to think these killers had legitimate grievances than to consider the possibility that there were no grievances or motives with substance.

Hence, why you're seeing a whole load of victim blaming with vague justifications. Whether there are actual justifications or not I don't know. My one belief which I've always been religious about is that criticism and satire are sacrosanct. Nothing should be considered immune to them. It's probably the main reason why I got involved in this forum in the first place. Nothing here is free from criticism and mockery - and that's the way it should always be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

keane2097 wrote: »
    Nor is the response generated.

That article is garbage, essentially blaming the victims for having bad manners.
    I haven't decided if I like the argument, but I don't read it that way. Reprinting the cartoon - I.e. knowingly insulting hundreds of millions of people to make a point to a tiny fraction of their number - is not something which should be done lightly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I haven't decided if I like the argument, but I don't read it that way. Reprinting the cartoon - I.e. knowingly insulting hundreds of millions of people to make a point to a tiny fraction of their number - is not something which should be done lightly.

Curious, So do you support blasphemy legislation?

The very existence of this forum is offensive to potentially millions of Christians, should we close it?

The funny ha ha side of religion thread is without any doubt offensive to millions more, do you think it should be closed or people should not post in it?

Saying scientology is a scam is offensive to its followers, so we shouldn't say its a scam now based on your logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

We really have to sit down and understand what happened here today. People like us got murdered because they had the ability to print their ideas. The same people can come to us and murder us in cold blood for what we post in the funny thread. Noone in the right mind should accuse these people that they had it coming because of what they did. It's a disgrace in so many different levels to even notion something like this. There is and there should never be anything sacred in proper political and religious satire.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

AstraMonti wrote: »
    We really have to sit down and understand what happened here today. People like us got murdered because they had the ability to print their ideas. The same people can come to us and murder us in cold blood for what we post in the funny thread. Noone in the right mind should accuse these people that they had it coming because of what they did. It's a disgrace in so many different levels to even notion something like this. There is and there should never be anything sacred in proper political and religious satire.

It's very easy for these people to justify what they are doing is right, its easy when you claim God is on your side and you decide what God thinks and decides. All religions do this to one degree or another.

Oh no, I didn't mean the killers -those are brainless orcs with guns- I meant the "serious" press that in one hand condemn the killing but in other hand accuse the magazine for being dangerously provocative.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Curious, So do you support blasphemy legislation?
    not in the slightest. and you've twisted what i said.

just because it should not be illegal for me to walk around with a deliberately inflammatory t-shirt does not mean i *should* walk around with a deliberately inflammatory t-shirt, just as most people who post in the 'funny ha ha' thread do not post there purely as a means of causing offence.

in no way did i say that reprinting the cartoons whould be banned, and i'm kinda bemused that's the message you took from my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Rape jokes, shouldn't be illegal, but you should never EVER say one in front of a rape victim. There's a time and place for everything.

That's Magic's point, no?

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    Rape jokes, shouldn't be illegal, but you should never EVER say one in front of a rape victim. There's a time and place for everything.

Thats how I understood it too.

It is a time and a place type of thing. You should be able to put something up in the funny side of religion thread including a picture of Muhammad but I wouldnt start making jokes about a religion during mass. People will get pissed despite any freedom of speech you think your have.

Here's a list of links to condemnations of the Charlie attacks by islamic-controlled states + non-state actors. it will be interesting to see whether this list increases in size as time passes.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t9-R-BV_FuYGDOi0CHY4y12M9lI9Twd8CCySfsUZqgc/edit

robindch wrote: »
    Here's a list of links to condemnations of the Charlie attacks by islamic-controlled states + non-state actors. it will be interesting to see whether this list increases in size as time passes.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t9-R-BV_FuYGDOi0CHY4y12M9lI9Twd8CCySfsUZqgc/edit

heh, and there were people in another thread claiming that other Muslims would be celebrating such a thing.

Do we know what group these people were part of yet?

Turtwig wrote: »

yep, along those lines. pissing off hundreds of millions of moderate muslims to make a point to (insert figure here, i don't know how many would support death in response to printing cartoons) extremist muslims is not a response without collateral damage, if that's the right term to use.

actually, it reminds me of an argument which has played out once or twice in the photography forum - just because it should not be illegal to take photos in or near playgrounds doesn't mean you should enforce your rights by going to a playground and pointedly photographing the kids of complete strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I would personally hope most Muslims will understand that reprinting the cartoons is not simply about the content of the pictures/ spreading some message about Islam, but the principle of the thing.

These moderate Muslims that some people are so desperate not to offend, are they not moderate enough to look beyond their own beliefs for just a second, and realise that there is more to this whole thing?

heh, and there were people in another thread claiming that other Muslims would be celebrating such a thing.

Err, but some Muslims will be celebrating these deaths, so it's 100% correct to claim some will be celebrating

Cabaal wrote: »
    Err, but some Muslims will be celebrating these deaths, so it's 100% correct to claim some will be celebrating

Im sure there is probably at least 1 other happy about it but there was people claiming that it was something every Muslim approved of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It is a time and a place type of thing. You should be able to put something up in the funny side of religion thread including a picture of Muhammad but I wouldn't start making jokes about a religion during mass. People will get pissed despite any freedom of speech you think your have.
    In your example it's OK to mock the religion, IMO, but not the people themselves for going to mass. That would be going towards incitement to hatred.
    So that's not just "a time and place sort of thing" because that would imply that its OK to mock people behind their backs, but not to their face. Which would be a practical, but cowardly option. IMO time and place is a factor, but only for practical reasons. Being tactful is practical, but also slightly dishonest.

Whatever criticism or jokes you have of RCC or Islam, if it is valid, and someone asked you to repeat it, you should be able to say it in any company without being attacked.
    A cartoon of Mo as a paedo with his child bride is valid satire, but a cartoon of Mo shagging a donkey is not; it crosses a line IMO.

Of course, even if Charlie Hebdo ever crossed the line, the proper response would be a complaint under whatever incitement laws they have in France.

recedite wrote: »
    A cartoon of Mo as a paedo with his child bride is valid satire, but a cartoon of Mo shagging a donkey is not; it crosses a line IMO.

Well that's the issue I guess. Who decides where the line is? Where you set your line I might not set mine and vice versa. There is no single line that caters for all, and what offends an amount of people doesn't make it immediately immune to any level of satire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Standman wrote: »
    I would personally hope most Muslims will understand that reprinting the cartoons is not simply about the content of the pictures/ spreading some message about Islam, but the principle of the thing.

These moderate Muslims that some people are so desperate not to offend, are they not moderate enough to look beyond their own beliefs for just a second, and realise that there is more to this whole thing?

I was listening to Dr. Ali Selim on Newstalk earlier, and he certainly wouldn't accept that principal as it would seem to come above his own. He was basically saying that you can condemn religion all you like in books, but as soon as it's classed as mockery it's not all right any more and it is then provocation.

The difficulty is the principal of being able to poke fun at something that scares us/threatens us. We are not without fear, and poking fun is some measure of how civilised we are - how we are allowed in a democracy to speak our opinions and how the bullies respond. There is no need to poke fun at an element in society that we're not threatened by. If Dr. Ali Selim had his way seemingly we should consider the threat of death enough that it engenders respectful consideration of his religion at all times. I think that's the wrong way around though. Respect is earned by the renouncement of the threat of harm *.

He made one novel point though, and that was that he would like to be able to sue the cartoonists who disrespect his prophet. Sadly, that might work in this country :(

*Unfortunately and ironically, religions aren't great at preaching in a non-threatening, loving, harmless and shame free fashion.

Advertisement