Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Think I just hit a cyclist. But I'm late for work so had to drive off lol."

Options
  • 07-01-2015 4:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭

From Newstalk

"A stockbroker has been fired after a Twitter joke backfired.

The man, named as Rayhan Qadar, posted the tweet at 8.30am on Monday under the Twitter handle Ray Pew.

He wrote: "Think I just hit a cyclist. But I'm late for work so had to drive off lol."

http://www.newstalk.com/Stockbroker-fired-after-Twitter-joke-backfires

Right it was a stupid joke, not funny, (well not very funny) and in poor taste.

But did the muppet deserve to get the bullet from work over it?

Seems to me like his employers were just waiting for any excuse to get rid of him and the eejit handed them their chance on a plate.

As for that other trollop at the end of the article -

"In 2013, Emma Way, from Watton, Norfolk, was convicted of failing to stop after a collision and failing to report an accident after she tweeted about a collision with a cyclist.

She tweeted: "Definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier. I have right of way - he doesn't even pay road tax!"

Well she deserves everything she gets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,024 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bit of a contradiction there?

Guy hits cyclist, doesnt stop - unlucky to lose job.
    Woman hits cyclist, doesn't stop - "deserves whatever she gets"

:confused:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Same lad would probably think saying he'd a bomb in his bag at an airport is funny too.

Neither are jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Same lad would probably think saying he'd a bomb in his bag at an airport is funny too.

Neither are jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You started a cyclist v motorist thread,do not pass "GO" do not collect €100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Nope man told joke got fired

Woman hits cyclist...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

He made a joke on twitter and got fired. She actually hit a cyclist, drove away and then she was blaze about her actions on twitter afterwards and was convicted.

You shouldnt get fired for making distastful jokes, but you should be convicted (and possibly go to jail) for hitting a cyclist and leaving the scene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

He didn't actually hit a cyclist according to the piece, he just cracked a 'joke' about doing so.

She, on the other hand, was convicted on two charges resulting from her actual collision with a cyclist causing him minor injuries and damage to his bike.

No contradiction there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You're wrong and need to be told continuously.
    The internet needs retribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just a joke, no reason to fire the guy. I can see the funny side of it as well. If he was rushing or late to work or something, and made a joke about it, i can see the funny side of it.

But then again, sometimes people don't know when you're joking or being real on the internet, so it's one of those things you have to be weary of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Think I just hit a cyclist. But I'm late for work so had to drive off lol.

Self important f*ck. The cyclist could of been his gaffer. Not that's important. It's basic human empathy to check on and ensure the person that you hurt is ok. A few weeks ago I was teaching my nephews and my lad how to cross the football. I launched one and hit a women in the back. I sprinted after to see if she was ok. "I'm so sorry let me walk you home."

I put a €150 voucher for Fire, beside the Mansion house, in her letter box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Self important f*ck. The cyclist could of been his gaffer. Not that's important. It's basic human empathy to check on and ensure the person that you hurt is ok. A few weeks ago I was teaching my nephews and my lad how to cross the football. I launched one and hit a women in the back. I sprinted after to see if she was ok. "I'm so sorry let me walk you home."

Read it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,024 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He didn't actually hit a cyclist according to the piece, he just cracked a 'joke' about doing so.

She, on the other hand, was convicted on two charges resulting from her actual collision with a cyclist causing him minor injuries and damage to his bike.

No contradiction there at all.

Fair enough, my bad - I thought they'd both hit people.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Made in bad taste, but did he deserve to get fired? No imo., unless as OP says they were hunting for his head already.

If a comedian pulled this joke on opening night of a set of gigs would the theatre cancel the remaining shows? Would they flock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Seems like overkill and he'd have good grounds for an employment tribunal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If a comedian pulled this joke on opening night of a set of gigs would the theatre cancel the remaining shows? Would they flock.
    If it's Dapper Laughs he gets his awful show on ITV cancelled and cries on Newsnight wearing a turtleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Thinly veiled 'chatted up a woman in the park' and 'I has money after Christmas' post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Seems like overkill and he'd have good grounds for an employment tribunal.

Not really.

A few months a managing director of investment management firm in London got nailed by the British regulator after he admitted dodging train fares for years.
    The U.K. Financial Conduct Authority banned Jonathan Burrows from all regulated financial-services work, saying he “lacks honesty and integrity” after cheating to pay less for his commute.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-15/former-blackrock-managing-director-banned-for-evading-rail-fares.html

This stockbroker has to sell himself and sell his company. If they reckon he is a liability he'll get the chop. And if they don't sack him the regulator may do it for them

The guy in the OP posted a lame joke on his personal Twitter account. You're comparing him to someone who actually ripped off over 40K off the transport system. I personally see a chasm of difference between an ill judged gag and several years of systematic theft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Maybe they Fired him for alwaya being late.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

kneemos wrote: »
    The internet needs retribution........

......and thanks whoring attention seekers.

• Advertisement

Looks like it was more down to him bringing the company into disrepute. I do think it's harsh, given that it was a gag tweet on his personal Twitter account. But this serves as a good reminder to keep your work and private life separate, even online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

why is it so difficult for people to understand how twitter works? are people so retarded that they think they can say whatever and get away with it?

stupid thing what your man said, don't think he should have been fired unless as mentioned the company were looking for an excuse but you can't say those things on twitter and expect just a giggle back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Think it's more to with the fact that the company has a certain reputation, brand, image etc it wants to project and he damaged it with his ill thought joke.

Plus you'd have to say that it showed poor judgment and would you really be trusting someone like this to manage your money, make trades and provide advice?

Finally, the growth in cycling means a lot of people who have taken or returned to the activity are fairly affluent (look at the cost of some of the bikes people are riding for leisure), so there's a fair chance that a good chunk of the firm's client base would regard themselves as cyclists - not a clever move to go around making jokes about your clients!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

How on Earth was that supposed to be funny? How were people supposed to know it was a joke? The "lol?"

What? Why would you do that? It was just a football. Children get hit in the face by them all the time.
    Is this also a joke?
    What would I get if you bumped into me on the street, €20 for HMV?

Also: "I'm so sorry, let me walk you home?"
    *shudders*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's been a crackdown on the financial centre in the UK. remember yer man that got fired and banned for life for fare dodging on the train.

In the current climate any stockbroker / trader that dirties their bib will get the book thrown at them, mainly to deflect critism from the sector re the financial stuff that really matters.

major bill wrote: »
    why is it so difficult for people to understand how twitter works? are people so retarded that they think they can say whatever and get away with it?

Yes. Frequently. People post rape and death threats to celebrities all the time. There are entire websites devoted to the sh*t that people post on Twitter, like teens posting pics of their first credit card without blurring the name and numbers.

People have this really bizarre idea of "freedom of speech" and honestly believe the have the inalienable right to say what they like, whatever crap comes into their heads at any time, without censure. Freedom of speech, innit. Forgetting that with rights come responsibilities, and that anyone can read what you say and weigh that against you.
    How on Earth was that supposed to be funny? How were people supposed to know it was a joke? The "lol?"

Yep, that's how some people think. "I posted lol so it was clearly a joke." In the age of instant, universal communication, communication skills are becoming a lost cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Way-hay! You put fire in her letterbox, eh?! Saucy.

Oh and don't be teaching the kids any kind of sports if that's the way it's gonna be.

It's basic human empathy to check on and ensure the person that you hurt is ok. A few weeks ago I was teaching my nephews and my lad how to cross the football. I launched one and hit a women in the back. I sprinted after to see if she was ok. "I'm so sorry let me walk you home."

Your story reminded me of this, which is one of the best things I have ever read and might give you a giggle too.

http://imgur.com/r/4chan/3YdJs

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Three pages of replies and no one has commented on the guys Twitter name yet. Ray Pew, really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Plates wrote:
    Three pages of replies and no one has commented on the guys Twitter name yet. Ray Pew, really?

Well spotted....didn't notice.

Advertisement