Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

My road- "racing" bike doesn't have reflectors but I have 3 front lights and 2 rear, can I be fined??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

LpPepper wrote: »
    My road- "racing" bike doesn't have reflectors but I have 3 front lights and 2 rear, can I be fined??

I hope they'd apply alittle common sense here. As I have lights and reflective clothing...is not having these little sh*tty reflectors an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Second thought, what if you have no lights, no reflective clothing, no reflectors and say caught breaking a red light, all at night time. Obviously this person would be a tool but are the fines cumulative?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,047 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tomasrojo wrote: »
    An American friend of mine told me about a protest in which the police were taunted by doughnuts on fishing lines.
    Montreal possibly. I like that they took nibbles out of them, as if to suggest the cops don't mind spitty seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Am I seeing things here or while the eager Gardai are handing out leaflets(before the fines) you can see two trucks parked in the cycle lane off-loading goods?

2yyzfbs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Am I seeing things here or while the eager Gardai are handing out leaflets(before the fines) you can see two trucks parked in the cycle lane off-loading goods?

That is more than just a little bit sicking. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You can, but via a court appearance, not by a fixed-charge notice.

Remember, the top half of the Garda leaflet is horse **** that has nothing to do with the fixed-charge notices. Things become a lot clearer then.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Second thought, what if you have no lights, no reflective clothing, no reflectors and say caught breaking a red light, all at night time. Obviously this person would be a tool but are the fines cumulative?

I think you would be charged multiple times, but actually only twice, as reflective clothing and reflectors are not part of this fixed-charge notice business (the former won't ever be, unless they change the regulations; reflective clothing is not legally required as of now).

That is more than just a little bit sicking. :(:(

Balance.

unbalanced-scales.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

2yyzfbs.jpg

You can unload on a broken line cycle track for up to 30 minutes
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin/where-park

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I was out for a spin on my bike this morning, headed out towards Navan. I was just at Kentstown. There are pedestrian lights, at the school, which is just outside the village. The lights were red for me. There was nobody in sight, so I slowed down and cycled through the lights. Next thing a Gard appears from behind a bush and stops me, he frightened the life out of me. He asked for my name and address, which I gave him. He said he didn't believe me, and asked for identification. I had none. He said, that I had given him a name, which he believed to be false or misleading and that he was confiscating my bike. I asked him how I was supposed to get home(I was about 20Kms from home) He said, that he didn't care. He took my bike, using some force, and threw my bike into the back of his jeep.He told me, that I could collect my vehicle from Navan Guards Station, if I produced proper identification. He told me that I would also have to pay 40 Euro for going through the red light. He fecked off with my bike. I had to ring the wife to come and collect me.
    WTF

serves you right for going through the light.

lennymc wrote:
    serves you right for going through the light.

Is it Friday??

Is it Friday??

It doesnt matter what day it is. If you break the law you should accept the consequences.

lennymc wrote:
    It doesnt matter what day it is. If you break the law you should accept the consequences.

How far back have you read the thread??

far enough to know eamonator deserves what he got. Its people like him give me a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Lumen wrote: »
    Montreal possibly. I like that they took nibbles out of them, as if to suggest the cops don't mind spitty seconds.

mmh, the chocolate one looks tasty.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    mmh, the chocolate one looks tasty.

im surprised you have the nerve to show yourself here.

PS.i know its Friday. im bored. Ill stop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

I like that idea of treating red lights like Stop signs - it strikes me as a good idea if cyclists can clear a junction ahead of cars, it gives the cars a clearer line and puts the cyclist at less risk.

Yes, the "Idaho Stop" should be brought in here instead of this sh*te of fining cyclists for passing a red light..
    Cyclists here should approach each traffic signal, foot down, full stop, in the advance cycle boxes in the city centre, let's see how that would improve the flow of city traffic.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I was stopped one evening many years ago for having "too many lights" on my bike. I had two front and two rear.

I kid you not.

roverrules wrote: »
    You can unload on a broken line cycle track for up to 30 minutes
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin/where-park
    True. But the Gardaí don't care about the ones with continuous lines either:
    http://freethecyclelanes.vool.ie/

Also:
    http://www.dublincycling.ie/cycling/garda%C3%AD-urged-make-cycle-lanes-and-tracks-safe-use

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

True. But the Gardaí don't care about the ones with continuous lines either:
    http://freethecyclelanes.vool.ie/

Also:
    http://www.dublincycling.ie/cycling/garda%C3%AD-urged-make-cycle-lanes-and-tracks-safe-use

I have no argument about parking unloading on cycle lanes being abused but I draw the line ( get it! ) at people having a poke at Garda for not enforcing something that isn't actually an offence, unless they put a stop watch on it

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Tony EH wrote: »
    I was stopped one evening many years ago for having "too many lights" on my bike. I had two front and two rear.

I kid you not.

Haha, that's crazy... Lights are much more effective than hi-viz jackets in my opinion. Flashing lights draw much more attention, though some out there seem to think that a hi viz vest alone with no lights in the dark is safe!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Didn't happen.

Hook, line and sinker :O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

gadetra wrote: »
    Hook, line and sinker :O

Mod voice: You are no longer allowed to mod.

If ever there was a more inflammatory gutter journalism at it's best, George Hook style article, then this is it!

http://jrnl.ie/2246289

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I look forward with interest to all the complaints from motorists whose journey times have increased because of all the cyclists clogging up junctions, resulting in only one or two cars to getting through on each light cycle.

Tenzor07 wrote:
    If ever there was a more inflammatory gutter journalism at it's best, George Hook style article, then this is it!

Yeah. I often wonder why they give Arron McKenna column space.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I often wonder why they give Arron McKenna column space.

Apart from his fancy vocabulary, his rant in the journo could have been written by a 1st year school kid! :(

Advertisement