Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible to lose weight and use whey protein powder?

Options
  • 06-01-2015 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Between September and December last year, I wasn't as strict with my diet and gym as I normally am and put on quite a few pounds.

I started back with myfitnesspal yesterday and took a look at my calorie consumption.

Breakfast was a home made fritata with eggs bacon and veg along with an apple and a banana which comes to 508 calories

Lunch was soup from work (Leek and potato) and a ham and turkey brown bread sandwich with butter (I'll work on getting a better lunch next week)
    585 calories

Dinner was Brown basmati rice 125g
    2 chciken thighs
    Broccoli
    508 calories

Snacks were salt and pepper nut mix from tesco 294 calories.

This diet will more than likely continue in this fashion for the next while unless people can make some ideas, I'm a bit of a picky eater so I'm not mad about vegetables

I got to the gym 4-5 times a week at lunch during work.
    My plan is
    Monday run 6km
    Tuesday weights arms and chest
    Wednesday bootcamp class
    Thursday run 6km
    Friday Weights deadlit squats etc

MY question is about using whey protein powder. I used it before and I found it helped with keeping me fuller longer so that I wouldn't snack on crap but looking at my fitness pal 2 scoops along with 400mls of low fat milk is 440 calories

my question is, should I continue with the protein powder wile trying to lose weight or should I maybe drop it for 3 months or so lose the weight then reintroduce it when I want to build muscle ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Work out what you should be getting on board (here is one such means of calculating that).

You can judge whether or not the shake works for you but there is no reason why you can't use whey protein and lose weight. It's just a food supplement. If you want to reduce the calorie count on it, make it with water. Or half and half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Work out what you should be getting on board (here is one such means of calculating that).

You can judge whether or not the shake works for you but there is no reason why you can't use whey protein and lose weight. It's just a food supplement. If you want to reduce the calorie count on it, make it with water. Or half and half.

Ok based on my stats I can consume 2570 before exercise ans thus need to reduce my daily intake by 500 calories a day to lose a pound a week whci his roughly what my fitness pal has for to take in.

Ok looks like the figures are adding up for the moment.

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's also this calculator which I used if you want to cross check.

Advertisement