Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenstar vs. Panda for waste collection

Options
  • 05-01-2015 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

Hi all, got a leaflet in the door today saying that Greenstar are expanding into Clonee for waste collection. The offer is the first six months free (tying you into a 18 month contract however) and they guarantee they will beat any standard local rate (which is a bit vague).

Does anybody in D15 have collections from Greenstar already? I know at the moment I pay €110/year standing charge with Panda and then €8.60 per black bin lift, however Greenstar change I think by the light and then charge per kg after that. They also charge a standing charge for the brown compost bin as well? Any info would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

Arciphel wrote: »
    Hi all, got a leaflet in the door today saying that Greenstar are expanding into Clonee for waste collection. The offer is the first six months free (tying you into a 18 month contract however) and they guarantee they will beat any standard local rate (which is a bit vague).

Does anybody in D15 have collections from Greenstar already? I know at the moment I pay €110/year standing charge with Panda and then €8.60 per black bin lift, however Greenstar change I think by the light and then charge per kg after that. They also charge a standing charge for the brown compost bin as well? Any info would be great.[/quote
    Have you looked at city bin? They are €20 a month with no bin tag and collect same frequency as panda.. Would recommend them very good customer service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Arciphel wrote: »

Does anybody in D15 have collections from Greenstar already? I know at the moment I pay €110/year standing charge with Panda and then €8.60 per black bin lift, however Greenstar change I think by the light and then charge per kg after that. They also charge a standing charge for the brown compost bin as well? Any info would be great.

In very happy with City Bin in D15 at the moment. Is that in your area? I just pay €20 a month. No €110 yearly fee or tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭djmj

City Bin (240) = Panda (110) + 15 black bin (8.60)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

djmj wrote: »

It's more than 15 bin tags a year though isn't it, suppose it depends on how often you put out the black bin, ours is out every week so for us it was twice a month, so 24 tags. Also aren't they €9 now?! Have to say half of it is the convenience of not having to go out and buy the tags.. Half our local shops
    Were always out of stock so you would be driving around searching for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Thanks for the replies lads, was getting fierce lonely in here on my own!

Here is what Greenstar are offering at the moment...

U38pxA2.png

I rang Panda today to ask them what was the plan with regard them continuing to charge just per lift or would they be changing to a weighed service also. They told me they will continue to charge per lift unless the government makes them charge by the weight, but I understand legislation to that effect is already in the works coming from the EU, similar to when they were told they had to charge 13.5% VAT on waste collection services.

In the end Panda told me they were going to cut my yearly standing charge from €110 to €55 for this year to keep me with them, this is a 12 month contract and the charge per bin lift of the black bin remains €8.70/left and brown and green bin will continue to be free. They also said they might shortly be starting glass collections at the kerbside as Greenstar offer this service but do charge €5 for it at present...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Interesting about the glass collection. My parents are in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown and also use Panda. They've been able to put glass into their green bin for several years. I never really understood why it's not available in Fingal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

djmj wrote: »

I'd use the black bin a fair bit more than that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭dodzy

Panda, just called them. €55 half-yearly fee waived. 2 complimentary bin-tags on their way in the post.

UPC saving secured.

FBD Home insurance reduction.

Next stop - Leccy & Gas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

According to new legislation, ALL refuse collection companies will have to charge by weight from the 1st of July 2015 according to this :
    greyhound.ie /pay-weight-legislation-july-2015/

So it would indicate that Panda and City Bin would have to follow suit.

Has anyone any further information on this?

dodzy wrote: »
    Panda, just called them. €55 half-yearly fee waived. 2 complimentary bin-tags on their way in the post. ...

Did Panda advise you of anything in relation to pay-by-weight from July?

I called Greenstar and 'Mary' was very definite that all companies would be changing to this due to legislation and that Greenstar would be the cheapest - guaranteed (yes it would be an 18 month contract - the first 6 months would be free, then a standing charge of €87 for the next 12 months and the remaining fees outlined in post #6)

• Advertisement

ejabrod wrote: »
    Did Panda advise you of anything in relation to pay-by-weight from July?
    nope

I'll be calling them tomorrow.

Just wondering, it's €110 for the year and as you said in your post they waived €55 for the half year, do you have to pay for the other half and if not why not? (would tie in with a new pricing structure from July)

just a thought

ejabrod wrote: »
    I'll be calling them tomorrow.

Just wondering, it's €110 for the year and as you said in your post they waived €55 for the half year, do you have to pay for the other half and if not why not? (would tie in with a new pricing structure from July)

just a thought

They waived half of the yearly fee, which is due end January plus 2 tags which will see us out till end get, so I'm happy enough. She wasn't budging on the total fee waiver but was sound to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Panda dropped the yearly fee from €110 to €55 for us too. Only rang up and bargained because of this thread so thanks guys :D

Also got a 50% reduction in my home insurance renewal with Aviva....

Next stop UPC although I'm still on a €8 discount a month from last year

They waived half of the yearly fee, which is due end January plus 2 tags which will see us out till end get, so I'm happy enough. She wasn't budging on the total fee waiver but was sound to deal with.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at - the fee you will now pay will be €55 which should be you paid until the end of Dec 2015 BUT if a new pricing structure is introduced (as a result of pay-by-weight) it would make sense that you are being charged only €55 as the new structure would take effect from July.

This is just one perspective/opinion. Will ask these questions tomorrow when I call Panda

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@CAH2011, if you do represent the company you're claiming to, the please contact hello@boards.ie before posting on the site again, thanks.

CAH2011, as you're posting on behalf of a company I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to refrain from posting any further until you have obtained a Verified Rep account. Please contact the office at reps@boards.ie in order to do so. Should you post again before obtaining the account I'm afraid I'll have no option other than to siteban you. Thanks in advance for your understanding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

SNAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Moved to Fingal CC from DLR in October and had Panda in DLR. I was quite surprised when I had to buy bin tags! Why can't they do direct debit/billing like other areas? Quite annoying, as others have said, I had to drive around 4 shops in D15 before I could buy one!

At the moment with Panda, I paid the €110 in October for the year... and in the 3 months, I have had the black bin out twice. So in a quarter, I'd say 2 lifts would be average. Might put it out a bit more often in the summer due to smells/flies etc. So say 10 lifts @ 9.35 + 110 = 203.50, which is still cheaper than City Bin. Greenstar sounds interesting though. Will wait, as I paid the 110 up front at the time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think Panda are in the process of tagging the bins so that people don't have to use bin tags. We haven't had to buy tags in a long time.

• Advertisement

I have just called Panda in relation to this and the advise I have been given:

-the pay-by-weight legislation has not been enacted yet and may never be (it probably will be as the draft is in line with EU requirements).
    -Panda will not be charging for the brown (compost) bin.

They have no pricing structure (that they would tell me) in place in the event that pay-by-weight in introduced. This is hard to believe because the equipment changeover takes time to implement so a pricing structure would be one of the first things that would have to be decided upon .

• Registered Users Posts: 45 zoid

woohoo love this thread!

staying with Panda as they offered to match Greenstar's offer. Thanks for the suggestion guys!

UPC next :-)

Got the bill from Panda today. €55 due end of month and no bin tags despite last weeks phone concession. Tail wagging dog. Tools. Phone again tomorrow :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Panda do conduct non tag charging in Fingal. Ring Panda customer service & ask if yer bins are tagged & can you switch to non tag charging. Did it 9 months ago been fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

zoid wrote: »
    woohoo love this thread!

staying with Panda as they offered to match Greenstar's offer. Thanks for the suggestion guys!

UPC next :-)

Did you treaten to leave them or what way did you put it for them to give you the offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

wawaman wrote: »
    Did you treaten to leave them or what way did you put it for them to give you the offer?
    When my OH rang, just mentioning the Greenstar offer and they will half your yearly fee

Got the bill from Panda today. €55 due end of month and no bin tags despite last weeks phone concession. Tail wagging dog. Tools. Phone again tomorrow :mad:

UPDATE: Onto Panda first thing. Apparently the bill generated before I made the call last week. They have assured me that the bill I have received for €55 is currently ZERO on their system (so waived) and that they are in the process of posting out complimentary tags to "all the people who rang up" so I should receive them over the next few weeks.

UPC was the same. The bill had generated before I secured the reduction so it will show from next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 zoid

wawaman wrote: »

I just mentioned the greenstar offer we received and they thanked me for calling them first and offered to match it.

UPC reduced our bill by €8/month and its a better package. the unlimited 240mb + phone. they had just sent us a letter saying the charges were going to go up by €2/month but that's weird since they had a better package than the one we were on which was cheaper... i'm glad i called them so thanks again guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

Panda now appear to have Pay by weight prices available.
    They do appear cheaper than Greenstar (if you get the 6moths free from them.

It appears BOTH GreenStar & Panda will charge lift & weigh for BOTH Black & Brown bins.

I'm not sure what the weight of an average bin is.....but on my calculations (using a 40Kg in each bin I put out) this Pay by weight system is going to mean €€€€€€ for the bin companies.

• Advertisement

GAFF wrote: »
    Panda now appear to have Pay by weight prices available.

I can't see anything on their website. Got a link?

Advertisement