Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreigner as a bus driver

Options
  • 05-01-2015 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello!

I would like to know, if there are any materials on the internet which help the foreigners to become a bus driver in Dublin? (Dublin Bus, Bus Éireann,etc)
    Currently I live in Hungary but soon I am going to move into Ireland and I really want to work as a bus driver. I have already found lots of information about how I can convert my driving license to irish one and how I can get cpc card, but I have not found anything about how I should learn the specific vocabulary related the job. Fox examples, the components of the bus and another specific word about being a bus driver in Ireland.

Could someone suggest me something?
    Thank you in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if many companies would be willing to hire a driver for public services who is a new immigrant. Not because they are an immigrant (Dublin Bus certainly has quite a few drivers who are immigrants) but they lack the experience of driving on the left and would have limited geographical knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MaciG

Thank you Viktor. So you would say, that I should try to find a smaller company in order to acquire some experience about driving left and than change to DublinBus.

Could you tell me some other companies in Dublin who applies bus drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Dualway
    Matthews
    Citylink (this would go from city to city)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭poggyone

MaciG wrote: »
    Hello!

I would like to know, if there are any materials on the internet which help the foreigners to become a bus driver in Dublin? (Dublin Bus, Bus Éireann,etc)
    Currently I live in Hungary but soon I am going to move into Ireland and I really want to work as a bus driver. I have already found lots of information about how I can convert my driving license to irish one and how I can get cpc card, but I have not found anything about how I should learn the specific vocabulary related the job. Fox examples, the components of the bus and another specific word about being a bus driver in Ireland.

Could someone suggest me something?
    Thank you in advance! :)

If you have a bus driving licence and CPC,Apply to dublin bus, if you are accepted they will teach you all the dublin bus specific knowledge you need.
    I am a dublin bus driver, don't mind what other posters here tell you, that are not dublin bus drivers.

"the experience of driving on the left and would have limited geographical knowledge." Don't mind this, you will be shown the routes, and the driving on the left is a adjustment you will make in a few hours.

Good luck in getting the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

poggyone wrote: »
    "the experience of driving on the left and would have limited geographical knowledge." Don't mind this, you will be shown the routes
    The problem there is the locations that aren't on the map, but that bus drivers will be expected to know, especially like Kelly's Corner, Leonard's Corner, etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_street_corners and the propensity to name stops after businesses or landmarks that are long gone or to create Dublinbusisms, e.g. Phibsboro or that there are four different Liffey Streets.

On this map: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,588882,739883,0,10 show me:
    Before Bridge
    opposite PLP A5
    15 metres from PLP
    30 Metres west of PLP35
    At 14 meters south of PLP109
    at apoint 15 metres west of plp10
    at PLP34 outbound
    At PLP54
    Crumlin Hospital
    South Park, New Road
    James Hospital
    Station, Maynooth Road
    Station, Custom Hse Quay
    Station, Carnlough Road
    Clontarf Dart Stn.
    Parkway Station
    Phoenix Pk Gate
    Rail Station, Main Street Bray
    Railpark, Maynooth
    Railway Station, Cherry Orchard Ave
    South Circular Road
    Boiler House
    Bridge, Valleymount Rd
    Williamstown Post Office
    Hart's Corner
    Phibsboro Shopping Centre
    North Richmond Street
    Killiney Shopping Centre
    Marlboro Road
    Stillorgan N11 (Subway)
    Monastery Corner
    Palmerstown
    George's Street
    Malahide Rd. (N32)
    Benson Street
    Amiens Street Station
    Collinstown Road
    Bangor Circle
    Gala Cinema
    Jury's Ballsbridge
    National Museum
    St. Margaret's Road
    Airport Runway
    An Post
    Arrivals Terminal
    Sandyford I.E.
    Bank Of Ireland, Dublin Road Balbriggan
    Carr Miles
    Church, Malahide Road
    Mount Argos Park
    Near N2 Finglas
    New Road
    Ninth Lock Road, New Nangor Road
    Old Airport Road
    Old Finglas Road
    Omni
    Opposite Dublin Airport, Dublin Airport
    Royal Dublin Society
    Roundabout, Malahide Road
    Rush Station
    Sean O'Casey, Summerhill
    Shelter near stop 347 (CX)
    Shopping Centre, Stillorgan Road
    Shopping Centre, Stillorgan
    Shopping Centre, Stillorgan Vlg
    Terminal Exit, Dublin Airport
    The Point Depot
    The Square Shopping Centre
    Town Centre, Rathmines Road
    Train Station, Summerhill Rd
    Perrystown

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭poggyone

Victor wrote: »
    The problem there is the locations that aren't on the map, but that bus drivers will be expected to know,

Who told you that?
    Drivers are not expected to know the names of every location they drive by.
    This aint the london taxi knowledge.

All new drivers will be only driving 3-4 routes in a depot, they will be given route training and then off they go, they will then pick up knowledge of street names as they drive the bus.

Drivers are only expected to get from A to B safely, its not a taxi service, if the driver knows the route area they will of course help out passengers who are looking for somewhere, just don't expect the driver to know where you are looking for.
    Google maps on your phone is your best friend when you are looking for somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I have noticed that questions like "Could you announce when the next stop is the Four Courts" doesn't work with foreign drivers. The automated announcement system says "Inns Quay". Who knew it was called that!

Hello poggyone!
    Thank you for your encouragements, it made me so happy :)
    Fortunately my visual memory is very good, so I can remember the paces easily where I was and how can exactly get that actual places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Poggyone is correct if your driving is good that's what they are really interested in, and whether you arrived in Ireland that morning or 2 years ago is irrelevant, you must have a decent command of English, but you don't need to know the city or its landmarks, you will never be asked that at any stage of recruitment, sure DB has Dublin born drivers that the first time they set foot in Tallaght was when they were sent out there by Dublin bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Hello poggyone!
    Thank you for your encouragements, it made me so happy :)
    Fortunately my visual memory is very good, so I can remember the paces easily where I was and how can exactly get that actual places.

Plenty of truck driving jobs here too give me a PM if you are stuck best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thank you Truckermal!

My main aim is to be a bus driver, but I have a driving license for lorry and truck so if I need help I will send you a mail. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Thank you Truckermal!

My main aim is to be a bus driver, but I have a driving license for lorry and truck so if I need help I will send you a mail. :)

No problem it might be easier to get truck driving job first as truck drivers are in strong demand here. Any questions and send me mail bring a few beautiful hungarian women with you..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

working dublin bus a few months now.

haven't a clue of south dublin but thats where i go anyway, haven't a bog where most places are unless theres a bus stop right at it !

no needed to know them and you do pick it up along the way.

Advertisement