Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low sodium bread

Options
  • 05-01-2015 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to reduce sodium consumption. Discovered that bread is a sneaky culprit for it. Also discovered that low sodium bread does not seem to typically be available in the supermarket. Both salt and sodium bicarbonate make up the sodium in bread.

I like wholewheat; prefer 100% wholewheat breads. I don't like gluten free bread alternatives. At the moment I'm mainly substituting these Jacobs wholewheat crackerbread things - basically wheat versions of ryvita. These are nice, but would prefer low sodium bread as well.

Happy to try making bread myself as long as I can do so in the normal oven/baking tin etc - so if someone has tried a recipe and liked it please mention it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edit: Possibly I should have put this in the Food/Drink forum, rather than here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

A bit of research indicates that sodium bicarbonate probably doesn't have the same sort of effect on blood pressure as salt, though it was previously thought that it did. So I'll switch to look for low salt bread, rather than low sodium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I'm not sure of the sodium content in lidl's low GI bread, but its the only bread I'd go near tbh, my body seems to agree with it, not to mention it being a good source of complex carbs. Also its made fresh every day in the bakery, so its not heavily processed like other packaged breads in supermarkets.

Again I'm not sure of the sodium or any of the nutrional content in it, but might be worth reasearching.

They don't seem to list ingredients or nutritional info about it online. I've read that the salt content of bakery breads is usually higher than the others though.

I find it odd that there is so little focus on low salt products in the supermarkets etc.

Made a loaf with just wholemeal flour, buttermilk, bread soda, eggs and a very small bit of sugar. Result was surprisingly tasty.

No idea why low salt bread is not commonly available. If I can make a nice loaf of it the first time I've ever tried making bread then it's not too hard to make tasty low salt bread. Instead you just find low carb and low gluten bread on the shelves - of which the popularity of both is down to fads not science.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Instead you just find low carb and low gluten bread on the shelves - of which the popularity of both is down to fads not science.

Gluten-free bread is down to the number of coeliacs in Ireland.

Low-carb bread, not that I've seen it, is for people who want to reduce carbohydrate intake and still have bread.

Low-salt bread would be for people who want to reduce their salt intake without having to reduce/give up eating bread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2014/05/13/salt-is-good-for-you/

From a rather controversial figure, food for thought

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2014/05/13/salt-is-good-for-you/

From a rather controversial figure, food for thought
    Don't know of him. It's not relevant to me personally since he says:
    In reality, you can eat just about as much salt as you can stand – without harm. (Unless you have damaged kidneys and/or very high blood pressure)

and I do have very high blood pressure. I am concerned of the effect on this on my kidneys.

My understanding is that the suggested limit on salt intake is in order to try to prevent high blood pressure. He seems to support the notion that salt intake and blood pressure are linked.

I agree with him about the sodium thing. It is odd that sodium content is discussed rather than salt. As I said my own reading indicates that sodium bicarbonate has a negligible effect on blood pressure, even when loaded at high levels as a sports supplement (it counteracts lactic acid produced during exercise). Salt (as in sodium chloride) appears to be the culprit for increased blood pressure, not sodium. The comment he makes about saline drips is funny, but I would suppose that they are similarly salty to blood plasma...would be interested to know the reasoning behind it for certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Don't know of him. It's not relevant to me personally since he says:

and I do have very high blood pressure. I am concerned of the effect on this on my kidneys.

My understanding is that the suggested limit on salt intake is in order to try to prevent high blood pressure. He seems to support the notion that salt intake and blood pressure are linked.

I agree with him about the sodium thing. It is odd that sodium content is discussed rather than salt. As I said my own reading indicates that sodium bicarbonate has a negligible effect on blood pressure, even when loaded at high levels as a sports supplement (it counteracts lactic acid produced during exercise). Salt (as in sodium chloride) appears to be the culprit for increased blood pressure, not sodium. The comment he makes about saline drips is funny, but I would suppose that they are similarly salty to blood plasma...would be interested to know the reasoning behind it for certain.

I'm not saying he correct but just said I'd throw it out there.

Thankfully I'm in good health but have to watch my salt intake for a different perspective; most of what I eat is whole foods and the only products I eat with added salt are dairy(which I eat plenty off) and a little bacon.

I need to add salt to my diet. The human body doesn't run well with too low a salt intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

In my personal opinion there's a lot of people out there who convince themselves there coeliac, when infact there not, seems to be almost trend like at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

In my personal opinion there's a lot of people out there who convince themselves there coeliac, when infact there not, seems to be almost trend like at the moment.

People might think they have a gluten intolerance but being coeliac is a whole different ball game and no mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

@blatantrereg did you ever have any success finding a brand of bread in Ireland with low salt? I'm surprised to find there is about half a gram of salt in a typical slice, and eager to find a supermarket alternative with lower salt.

Any advice?

Advertisement