Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski lessons for kids in France

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Snowshoeing? Dog sledding? I've just discovered there's a chocolate place that lets you go in and make something (its linked on the les gets website).

There's a museum there, mechanical music I think. Might not be great for a 6 year old but if you've a week of mornings to fill, I'm sure you're looking for anything you can! There also used to be some sort of activity centre set up in the forest near the school, but it might be summer only. About half way up the main chair (chavannes?) If you look right you'll see a lake and a building, that's the school. Maybe Dave would know more. Is the ice rink still there? Although probably still not a great idea.

Would any of the schools take her for a mellow, simple private lesson, just so she can say she skied? Or even take her up yourself. Up and down the learners patch a few times would be relatively low risk, especially if you get those reins that people have. I hate to think of a kid going away and having to watch everyone else have all the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kayakswimkayak

Have looked into them all but none have suited time wise. Found a cheap alternative. Hurt my knee in a fairly innocuous fall so I'm on full time morning duty now and possibly afternoons. Life's a bitch sometimes. It happened less than a minute after we had left La Grand Ourse where we had figured out a plan to get her up the mountain on the last day. That looks scuppered now. Thanks for all your ideas and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Have looked into them all but none have suited time wise. Found a cheap alternative. Hurt my knee in a fairly innocuous fall so I'm on full time morning duty now and possibly afternoons. Life's a bitch sometimes. It happened less than a minute after we had left La Grand Ourse where we had figured out a plan to get her up the mountain on the last day. That looks scuppered now. Thanks for all your ideas and help.

Ah lad thats rough chin up and enjoy what you can

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

It's always the innocuous falls that catch you by surprise. Bad luck but keep the head up and enjoy the rest of the time away with the family - it's still a beautiful part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kayakswimkayak

Thanks to everyone for your tips and help. We actually ended up having a great holiday. We stayed in Chalet La Ravine in Les Gets with Suzi and Dave. They were amazing hosts. The accommodation was lovely, the food was brilliant and the service was top class. It was our first time in a catered chalet and I would highly recommend it. The kids loved it and can't wait to go back. Just trying to pick a date and it will be booked soon. Dave and Suzi really looked after everything and made the holiday so enjoyable. Two nicer more genuine people you won't meet. The skiing in Les Gets was great. My daughter's broken arm was a downer but we made the best of it. My fall was a pain but pain killers and knee straps work wonders especially when you haven't skied for years. The resort is perfect for families. The 4 year old got excellent training from ecoledeski360 and was showing off his skills on the last two days. He even skied down a blue run with his mum!

And to cap off the week we got skis/boots for the broken arm girl who had a brilliant last day. Up to Chavannes on the Saturday morning and a gentle two hour initiation into skiing with a strap around her and me walking up and down the slope/nursery area behind or in front pulling or dragging. Once she was settled we headed over to Mont Chery, got the gondola up, gently skied down to the chairlift, got the guys to slow the seat down, hopped on and the guys at the top were waiting for us to stop the lift if necessary. We then snow ploughed over to La Grande Ourse where Gareth had a super table reserved for us for a late lunch. When we finished lunch the place had emptied and the daughter got her own personal taxi down the slopes on the SKIDOO!!! It was perfect. She absolutely loved it. Would recommend every single part of the holiday to anyone else. Great place to go and less than an hour to Geneva on the way back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Ahh wow, that's amazing!!! So great to hear- well done for keeping the faith!! :-) xxx

Advertisement