Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Partymack

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Depends on who you buy it from, freetv.ie flash them (flashed mine) with a customised version of OpenATV.

Thanks Alias but I'm interested to know what it actually comes shipped with... Before Freetv (or whoever) flashe's it?

Anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Partymack wrote: »
    Thanks Alias but I'm interested to know what it actually comes shipped with... Before Freetv (or whoever) flashe's it?

Anyone know ?

The manufactures own website has Openatv 4.2 as a download so I would assume this will be the standard image that it ships with.

A lot have updated to 5.0 I think and another popular image is the HDFreaks one, which I am running myself. Both are Enigma 2 images which is the only one that these boxes run on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Thanks Zardoz,

I need the RF input though for Saorview and as I'm on Wexford I also pick up UL Freeview of my mast. I use the UK Mast signal as my second feed for UK channels when recording something on SAT. I don't use the second sat feed.

Btw.. Think your an AA 2 user - have you moved to the Optimuss and if so what's the general impression?

I have a Technomate Nano 3T which is the same receiver as the Optimuss OS3 plus but has a different bootloader.

I havent used the Nano 3T much but from what I have ,its a very nice receiver.
    Fast,stable,runs big plugins like TSMedia and Mediaportal much faster than the Alien 2 .
    For general tv browsing and viewing/switching channels there is very little difference between the receivers but recording is better on the Nano 3T and things like Crossepg runs faster and it boots in ~45 seconds.

The only drawback with the Nano 3T is the SD picture quality ,its not as good as the Alien 2,but few receivers are .
    For a Mips based receiver the picture quality is good, but I still have an Alien 2 as my primary receiver for the time being ,simply due to the fact that the SD picture on it is better than the Technomate and its noticeable on a 50 inch set.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Is anyone else finding this OS3+ very unstable?
    I've got mine just about a week and I find I have to reboot it a number of times each day. So much so that it's almost unuseable! Also I note that the CPU temperature settles around 70 deg.. I would have thought that a bit on the high side? I'm actually thinking of returning it.
    Surely that can't be normal....or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Had a lot of trouble with Open ATV 5 lately and my so sooking at trying the latest HD Freaks image but there are 4 listed all with the same date on them, anyone know what the difference's are?

http://images.hdfreaks.cc/optimussos3plus/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

superg wrote: »
    Had a lot of trouble with Open ATV 5 lately and my so sooking at trying the latest HD Freaks image but there are 4 listed all with the same date on them, anyone know what the difference's are?

http://images.hdfreaks.cc/optimussos3plus/
    The bottom one is newest. The date is in the name with the build number before it.

peking97 wrote: »
    I've got mine just about a week and I find I have to reboot it a number of times each day. So much so that it's almost unuseable! Also I note that the CPU temperature settles around 70 deg.. I would have thought that a bit on the high side? I'm actually thinking of returning it.

Is your fan spinning? Mine wasn't for months until I investigated and found the wire feeding it was caught in the blades preventing them from spinning. I've had plenty of trouble with my box too but's its hard tot tell whether its the box or the ****ty images available for it. Every image I try i have issue's.

Next box I buy I'm just going all out for a Vu with well established firmware's.

What image are you running on the machine?

I know initially there was a few problems with them crashing etc. which seemed to be a combinations of the image itself and various plugins causing problems. I found the cooltv guide gave me trouble, so I removed it.

There does not seem to be as many problems since updating the image to the latest version of Openatv 5.0 or the HDFreaks 5.1 (although there server appears to be down at the moment). I have been running HDFreaks for the last number of weeks and I think it crashed once, down to an plugin I downloaded I'm assuming.

I would advise getting a copy of the latest image and flashing this onto the machine, there are instructions for this earlier in the thread, and do a clean install. I would also remove any plugins that you do not use, some are just duplicates of what the basic image can do anyway and not really required.

CPU temperature is about right, mine fluctuates around the 70deg. You can increase the fan speed in the settings.

The bottom one is newest. The date is in the name with the build number before it.

There's two dated 15/7/15 though. One with the number 121 in it and the other says 124 so there must be some difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

There's two dated 15/7/15 though. One with the number 121 in it and the other says 124 so there must be some difference.

Yeah the 124 one is the newer version probably with an extra update or two.

• Advertisement

THE ALM wrote: »
    What image are you running on the machine?

I would advise getting a copy of the latest image and flashing this onto the machine, there are instructions for this earlier in the thread, and do a clean install. I would also remove any plugins that you do not use, some are just duplicates of what the basic image can do anyway and not really required.

Well I was running the openATV 4.2 image from freetv.ie where I bought the box but I took your advice and loaded the HDFreaks 5.1 (124) image and it updated fine but when I came to the clean setting-up procedure it crashed, twice!
    Once during the DVB-T manual scan and again at some point during the second attempt...can't remember exactly.
    I'm beginning to wonder whether I've got a hardware problem on the box.
    Any ideas?:confused:

PS just noticed there is a ver 126 from HDF so maybe will try that next.

Well I was running the openATV 4.2 image from freetv.ie where I bought the box but I took your advice and loaded the HDFreaks 5.1 (124) image and it updated fine but when I came to the clean setting-up procedure it crashed, twice!
    Once during the DVB-T manual scan and again at some point during the second attempt...can't remember exactly.
    I'm beginning to wonder whether I've got a hardware problem on the box.
    Any ideas?:confused:

PS just noticed there is a ver 126 from HDF so maybe will try that next.

Never had a problem with a scan. Do you clear before the first scan and then set it to NO to scan the second frequency?

I noticed there is a ver. 127 and I will be giving this a go in the next few days.

Do you clear before the first scan and then set it to NO to scan the second frequency?

Yes I do. I tried it again a second time last night and all ok so far...fingers crossed!

Looks like I spoke too soon....two more crashes this morning and now it looks like it's stuck in a bootloop! (if that's the correct term).
    Getting seriously frustrated with this box at this stage.
    Just as an aside why are there so many images for it?...when I check on OpenATV website there appears to be an image for almost every day of the week!...what's all that about?:confused:

Looks like I spoke too soon....two more crashes this morning and now it looks like it's stuck in a bootloop! (if that's the correct term).
    Getting seriously frustrated with this box at this stage.
    Just as an aside why are there so many images for it?...when I check on OpenATV website there appears to be an image for almost every day of the week!...what's all that about?:confused:

I'm using AA2 with OATV5 and they do nightly upgrades which patch bugs found during the previous day and also to make tweeks and enhancements.

You can do a nightly upgrade of just the patches but I find it's better to just reflash to the full updated image once a month or so. That way instead of bolting on all the patches (patchwork quilt?) you have all the patches as part of the source code.

Any former AA2 users here who have upgraded to optimuss 3 and are happy with the decision? I'm tempted but prefer the look of the physical box the AA2 comes in and also like the fact if family are doing a lot of complaining I can always revert to boring old spark.

Thanks for the info...is there, by any chance, a Spark image for the OS3+ ?

I'm using AA2 with OATV5 and they do nightly upgrades which patch bugs found during the previous day and also to make tweeks and enhancements.

You can do a nightly upgrade of just the patches but I find it's better to just reflash to the full updated image once a month or so. That way instead of bolting on all the patches (patchwork quilt?) you have all the patches as part of the source code.

Any former AA2 users here who have upgraded to optimuss 3 and are happy with the decision? I'm tempted but prefer the look of the physical box the AA2 comes in and also like the fact if family are doing a lot of complaining I can always revert to boring old spark.

I have both boxes and as far as images go the AA2 is miles better. The Hyperion 4.5 image is bullet proof, haven't had many issues for months now but the box itself is painfully slow compared to the OS3+.

Thanks for the info...is there, by any chance, a Spark image for the OS3+ ?

No spark image for this box, just runs on emigma2.

Do you have any plugins installed?

Do you have an hdd/usb attached?

Where do you save epg data to?

Do you have two sat feeds and a soarview antenna connected?

I think if you download the latest openatv or hdfreaks image and unzip that onto a usb. Then in system settings do a factory reset.

I would then install whatever image you have downloaded and DO NOT restore any settings that may have been saved.

Before any channels are scanned can you go through menus etc. without the box crashing?

No spark image for this box, just runs on emigma2.

Do you have any plugins installed? Yes but just the ones that come as part of the image

Do you have an hdd/usb attached? Yes 2.5in WD internal 500GB SATA

Where do you save epg data to? HDD

Do you have two sat feeds and a soarview antenna connected? Yes. Two separate feeds from an octo LNB plus a UHF feed from Saorview antenna

I think if you download the latest openatv or hdfreaks image and unzip that onto a usb. Then in system settings do a factory reset.

I would then install whatever image you have downloaded and DO NOT restore any settings that may have been saved.

Before any channels are scanned can you go through menus etc. without the box crashing?

See my answers above. Will try as you suggest and revert.
    Thanks for all the help!

See my answers above. Will try as you suggest and revert.
    Thanks for all the help!

Similar set up to me with a wd internal drive only I save the EPG to a usb dongle plugged into the rear, don't think this should make any difference.

• Advertisement

I have both boxes and as far as images go the AA2 is miles better. The Hyperion 4.5 image is bullet proof, haven't had many issues for months now but the box itself is painfully slow compared to the OS3+.

Its strange that the Optimuss images are so unstable.
    As I previously said I have the Technomate Nano 3T ,which is the same receiver but just a different bootloader and although I dont use it that often I havent had it crash yet even during setting it up.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Its strange that the Optimuss images are so unstable.
    As I previously said I have the Technomate Nano 3T ,which is the same receiver but just a different bootloader and although I dont use it that often I havent had it crash yet even during setting it up.

I've switched to HDfreaks now and all good so far after a couple of days constant use. No end of issues with OpenATV images both 4.2 and 5.0. Not many crashes as such but box freezing up and requiring a switch off to reset was the frequent one, I'd re flash to the latest image and still have that problem along with other ones like harddrive issues, then the latest image was constantly crashing on me. I hated OATV on the Alien too but its all that was viable on the OS3+ for a good while.

Fingers crossed for HDFreaks lasts the pace.

I've switched to HDfreaks now and all good so far after a couple of days constant use. No end of issues with OpenATV images both 4.2 and 5.0. Not many crashes as such but box freezing up and requiring a switch off to reset was the frequent one, I'd re flash to the latest image and still have that problem along with other ones like harddrive issues, then the latest image was constantly crashing on me. I hated OATV on the Alien too but its all that was viable on the OS3+ for a good while.

Fingers crossed for HDFreaks lasts the pace.

I have found the same and since switching to HDF I think I have had a problem once or twice.

Thanks Superg - I'm surprised there is such a thing as less stable than AA2!!

The extra speed of the box is tempting me tho - as you say the AA2 is very slow to do everything.

Thanks Superg - I'm surprised there is such a thing as less stable than AA2!!

The extra speed of the box is tempting me tho - as you say the AA2 is very slow to do everything.

Your mistake was to keep using Openatv for so long on the Alien 2 .:)
    Openatv make good images in general but they have struggled with their images for the SH4 based receivers as opposed to Mips based receivers.
    The SH4 images are based on Graugans Yocto layer .

Hyperion images are far more stable and less bloated .
    A properly configured AA2 with a light skin is not slow for general tv viewing and channel browsing.
    Its slow to run larger plugins and multi tasking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Similar set up to me with a wd internal drive only I save the EPG to a usb dongle plugged into the rear, don't think this should make any difference.

Read somewhere its better to save epg and picons to usb rather than hdd. It's saved the hdd from spinning all the time

Zardoz wrote: »
    Your mistake was to keep using Openatv for so long on the Alien 2 .:)
    Openatv make good images in general but they have struggled with their images for the SH4 based receivers as opposed to Mips based receivers.
    The SH4 images are based on Graugans Yocto layer .

Hyperion images are far more stable and less bloated .
    A properly configured AA2 with a light skin is not slow for general tv viewing and channel browsing.
    Its slow to run larger plugins and multi tasking though.

Yep I'd probably agree. I tried Hyperion (May have been one of your images) but I didn't like the look and feel, icons and general confusing nature of menus. Damned stable tho.

OATV ain't stable but nobody has Better look and feel and logical layout of menus. Ironically (being German) it is it's reliability that let's it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭red bellied

GY A1 wrote: »
    Read somewhere its better to save epg and picons to usb rather than hdd. It's saved the hdd from spinning all the time

The hard drive is only used to download the epg data, its then cached in internal memory to populate the guide.

Over a week now with HD freaks and zero problems, a welcome change from Open ATV.

And yes I am aware this post is the kiss of death to that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Over a week now with HD freaks and zero problems, a welcome change from Open ATV.

And yes I am aware this post is the kiss of death to that :D

Can you please tell us what your exact setup is? ie. what version of all your plugins you have and where you have crossepg rinning from etc. I can't seem to go a couple of days without a hiccup so i'm going to start from scratch today.

Advertisement