Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2015 - entry transfers closed - do not request entries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Where abouts did you read about the minimum for raising funds was €200? Seem's a little mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Wow....can't see myself giving that kind of money. €100 is what I gave for past 5 yrs. if they won't take €100... That grand by me. I take wife off for slap- up meal instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Charities limited to 400 cyclists each this year so looking to collect a minimum €200 each, bit steep in my estimation

link or source ?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

One of the guys in the club had entry forms from a charity (Down Syndrome Kerry I think he said) and that's what he had been told was the requirement. Can't really blame the charities for trying something like this because they have had their number of entries halved so they're trying to take in the same amount of money. Usually just give the charity €100 out of my own pocket but can't see me dipping that deep. Don't believe in collecting money for doing something I enjoy. €25-30 is the standard for 130k+ charity sportives around here so could do 6/7 of those for the same money

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

There has been a lot of comments about the cost of this event over the last number of years but it takes a lot of planning,finance and resources to run such an event. Be it the advertising,customer service,route setup/signage,support services,food and water stops,ambulance,emergency control and entertainment along with the road closures.

A lot of effort,So only right that the charities get many thousands for the work.

That being said i hope there is not much of a increase in cost this year as it should be open to as many people as possible to enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cw girl

logik wrote: »

I assume that a spin class could be substituted for some of the shorter cycles during the week...at least until the evenings get longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    That being said i hope there is not much of a increase in cost this year as it should be open to as many people as possible to enjoy.

How much was it last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

cw girl wrote: »
    I assume that a spin class could be substituted for some of the shorter cycles during the week...at least until the evenings get longer?
    Yes, it will stand to you once the clocks change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    How much was it last year?

As far as I remember there were 3 options. 1.. You paid a fixed e70 fee and no sponsorship card was sent out. 2.. You don't pay a fixed fee but received a sponsorship card which obliged you to raise a minimum of e100. 3.. Registration directly with one of the nominated charities and raised as much as you could, this option meant you had no dealings with the Rok committee so you recieved the tags and wristbands you would need on the day prior to the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

I emailed one of the chosen charity's for this years cycle querying if there was a minimum amount that I would be required to raise,just received a reply that indeed there is,200 euro is the minimum required,reason was that the numbers the charity's are allowed are restricted this year,to be honest I'll have a rethink on doing it again this year,seems a lot to raise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

This has turned into such a ripp off event it sickens me, loved it but not anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

CB19Kevo wrote: »

A lot of effort,So only right that the charities get many thousands for the work.

No offence but the Ring of Kerry isn't the only cycling event where a huge amount of work is put into its organisation. Very few cycling events in Ireland have a surplus after taking out the costs. The ROK and maybe the An Post Series might be the only ones that have significant funds after costs to distribute. The ROK shouldn't take its situation for granted as its relatively unique as things go.

Take racing for example most clubs lose money on them and have to put in alot of work to organise the, even with racers paying multiple of what and ordinary leisure membership costs. Thats not talking about the smaller leisure events run around the country that attract very small crowds and rely completely on club volunteers to run with no significant sponsorship and have far more complex routes than the main road around the Ring. Many which when comparison is made with numbers entering require far more manpower in proportion to the ROK.

Nothing against the ROK, it generates huge funds for Charities and the Killareny area as while and is a great event. It just shouldn't take its numbers for granted.

Then again with numbers booking out in record time last year they can get away with it and I can understand their decision from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mamax

200 euro !!!
    What a piss take lol

Why not cycle the best sportive in Ireland http://tourdeburren.com/news/

Did this last year and it got my vote ! Top Class event

Am I missing something here? Why all the interest in charity entries as opposed to just buying an ordinary entry I'm not opposed to charity entries btw.

Mamax what's the TDB like? I just had a look at the website http://tourdeburren.com/ seems to be a fair bit of climbing on the 160km route. Reasonably priced though I'm considering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Am I missing something here? Why all the interest in charity entries as opposed to just buying an ordinary entry I'm not opposed to charity entries btw.

Mamax what's the TDB like? I just had a look at the website http://tourdeburren.com/ seems to be a fair bit of climbing on the 160km route. Reasonably priced though I'm considering it.

Everone should cycle in the Burren at least once

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/548819/301685.jpg

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/548819/301684.jpg

ford2600 wrote: »
    Everone should cycle in the Burren at least once

It does look amazing I just don't want my first time to be my last time if ya get me :D What's the turn out like? The thoughts of cycling in a mob at the ROK is putting me off anyway. Sorry for dragging thread off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It does look amazing I just don't want my first time to be my last time if ya get me :D What's the turn out like? The thoughts of cycling in a mob at the ROK is putting me off anyway. Sorry for dragging thread off topic.

Haven't done it for 2/3 years,used to go up every year. Route is lovely generally, limestone ledges meets the Wild Atlantic. Unique landscape really.

The crew is fine, usually experienced cyclists on longer route, very different from ROK. Route is nicer to, ROK as peninsula cycling in Ireland goes is only average(still some stunning sections but a lot of forgettable road).

Burren in lumpy continously without any major climb. Think I did it 3 times maybe 4, one of the better sportives.

It'll get you in shape for a nice quality sportive like Waterville 200...;)

Edit:photos above were taken on coastal road about 20km south west of Ballyvaughan last April. Once of nicest stretches of road in country to cycle that I have travelled

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Yes, Im afraid, you are missing something.
    Whether you register with a charity or sign up with R.O.K. organisation, you have to pay a minimum amount. Last year the minimum was 70 Euro.
    The talk is that this year the minimum will be 200 Euro.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Yes, Im afraid, you are missing something.
    Whether you register with a charity or sign up with R.O.K. organisation, you have to pay a minimum amount. Last year the minimum was 70 Euro.
    The talk is that this year the minimum will be 200 Euro.

:eek: that's a bit ridiculous. I'm headed to The Burren now so I'm looking forward to that. I'll cycle the ring another day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Yeah, seems to me, they're killing the goose, that lays the golden egg.
    I've been happy enough to pay for the past 4 years, and I even have my B+B booked for this year, but I won't pay 200Euro.
    I'll do the Tour de Conamara, instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mamax

The tour de Burren was voted the best sportive in Ireland last year and for good reason.
    Marshals excellent, food excellent, greate route, free tops and t shirt and ice cream at the end, I did the 96km last year and I'll be doing the 160km this year.
    Definitely the best day I had on the bike last year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

ford2600 wrote: »
    Haven't done it for 2/3 years,used to go up every year. Route is lovely generally, limestone ledges meets the Wild Atlantic. Unique landscape really.

The crew is fine, usually experienced cyclists on longer route, very different from ROK. Route is nicer to, ROK as peninsula cycling in Ireland goes is only average(still some stunning sections but a lot of forgettable road).

Burren in lumpy continously without any major climb. Think I did it 3 times maybe 4, one of the better sportives.

It'll get you in shape for a nice quality sportive like Waterville 200...;)

Edit:photos above were taken on coastal road about 20km south west of Ballyvaughan last April. Once of nicest stretches of road in country to cycle that I have travelled

I'll hopefully be in Clare for a few days over the summer and was looking for routes to go on a spin one of the days, just plotted one on strava taking in said road, looks great, looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

The list of charities is now posted on the ROK website: http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/charities/
    There are 9 charities listed so there must be a lot of direct entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

denismac wrote: »
    The list of charities is now posted on the ROK website: http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/charities/
    There are 9 charities listed so there must be a lot of direct entries.
    So the direct enteries might be €70 and no sponsor card again this year?

Last years cycle raised over 1.5 million,looks to me like they're aiming for the 2 million mark by setting the minimum at 200 euro,this years cycle would have been my 5th,always enjoyed it,great event,but this just smacks of greed to me,200 euro is a lot to raise for some people,especially if like me you try and do a number of charity cycles throughout the year,but I have no doubt they will still have no problem getting 10000 cyclists to do it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Last years cycle raised over 1.5 million,looks to me like they're aiming for the 2 million mark by setting the minimum at 200 euro,this years cycle would have been my 5th,always enjoyed it,great event,but this just smacks of greed to me,200 euro is a lot to raise for some people,especially if like me you try and do a number of charity cycles throughout the year,but I have no doubt they will still have no problem getting 10000 cyclists to do it again this year.

Would agree with this. It seems every year the cost to enter this event has risen and risen. I completed this last year but it was my last year, I wont be doing the RoK again. There are plenty of other charity cycles out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Don't know if they will get 10,000. @ €200 a head! I feel that there will be a major drop in numbers. They tried to charge €100 each last year and it was a PR disaster and the prices dropped to €70.

There are 3 of us in my family ... We won't be there if it's costing me €600. Am happy to give it a skip this year and transfer my attention to a new sportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

I was talking to someone involved in the organising committee of one of the charities, it seems that the ROK organisers have suggested the €200 minimum to them, not all the charities will follow this, the one I was talking to will ask for €100 as they see it as no more than €20 over what the ROK will be asking for registration this year.

The Console website:- http://console.ie/events/cycle-in-the-ring-of-kerry-cycle-2015-for-console/ even suggests that you can ride for free! Pay them €100, collect €100 and then keep it!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

lescol wrote: »
    I was talking to someone involved in the organising committee of one of the charities, it seems that the ROK organisers have suggested the €200 minimum to them, not all the charities will follow this, the one I was talking to will ask for €100 as they see it as no more than €20 over what the ROK will be asking for registration this year.

The Console website:- http://console.ie/events/cycle-in-the-ring-of-kerry-cycle-2015-for-console/ even suggests that you can ride for free! Pay them €100, collect €100 and then keep it!

It says 200 several times in that link?

• Advertisement

Console are looking for 100 to register plus another 100 from whatever sponsorship you raise,so you still end up paying 200 euro?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement