Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local property tax 2015 & TV licence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Hi everyone, I've ended up in a situation that kind of relates to this and I'm looking for some advice.

We purchased a house in December and the sale closed 22nd December.

The LPT was paid by the vendor and we were not advised by our solicitor that we would have to repay this amount to the vendor.

Part of our contract of sale was that the vendors remove all furniture from the house. They didn't do this and when our solicitor contacted them about this matter they said that they paid the LPT when they didn't have to and that they'd pay for a skip but we'd have to pay them the difference of the LPT owed.

I'm absolutely furious about the whole thing. The vendors basically shook us down for an extra 2k to close the sale on the house, left all broken appliances in the house which we had to get fixed or replace and now this!

I'm adamant that I'm not giving them another red cent but just want to know where I stand legally. I can't for the life of me understand why our solicitor didn't advise us of this potential cost.

We're first time buyers and every penny we have left has been budgeted out for necessary works that need to be carried out on the property

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I've ended up in a situation that kind of relates to this and I'm looking for some advice.

We purchased a house in December and the sale closed 22nd December.

The LPT was paid by the vendor and we were not advised by our solicitor that we would have to repay this amount to the vendor.

Part of our contract of sale was that the vendors remove all furniture from the house. They didn't do this and when our solicitor contacted them about this matter they said that they paid the LPT when they didn't have to and that they'd pay for a skip but we'd have to pay them the difference of the LPT owed.

I'm absolutely furious about the whole thing. The vendors basically shook us down for an extra 2k to close the sale on the house, left all broken appliances in the house which we had to get fixed or replace and now this!

I'm adamant that I'm not giving them another red cent but just want to know where I stand legally. I can't for the life of me understand why our solicitor didn't advise us of this potential cost.

We're first time buyers and every penny we have left has been budgeted out for necessary works that need to be carried out on the property

I can sympathise with you. We closed early December and were left in a similar position.
    Vendor left food, rubbish, furniture, broken appliances, everything, he pretty much just packed a bag and walked away. The place hadn't been cleaned in ages.

We were initially raging and ready to go back to the solicitor, but at the end of the day all we would achieve is further frustration and at best the cost of a skip.
    We decided to write off a couple of days to cleaning and a few hundred euro to the cost of a skip and move on. It's too easy to let something like this take the good out of a new home and set you off on the wrong footing.
    We sold some of the stuff, gave a lot to charity and dumped the rest, then we just forgot about it. You've been through enough stress with the purchase and the move, give yourself a break.

I know we had the legal right to pursue the vendor but really it's just sometimes not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I can sympathise with you. We closed early December and were left in a similar position.
    Vendor left food, rubbish, furniture, broken appliances, everything, he pretty much just packed a bag and walked away. The place hadn't been cleaned in ages.

We were initially raging and ready to go back to the solicitor, but at the end of the day all we would achieve is further frustration and at best the cost of a skip.
    We decided to write off a couple of days to cleaning and a few hundred euro to the cost of a skip and move on. It's too easy to let something like this take the good out of a new home and set you off on the wrong footing.
    We sold some of the stuff, gave a lot to charity and dumped the rest, then we just forgot about it. You've been through enough stress with the purchase and the move, give yourself a break.

I know we had the legal right to pursue the vendor but really it's just sometimes not worth it.

If we had of known that they would come back looking for the money for the 2015 property tax we probably wouldn't have pursued the issue but our solicitor never advised us of that possibility.

Now we're stuck in a situation where we owe the vendors money even though they left us with a filthy dirty house full of junk. Even the attic is full of rubbish.

You're right about just suffering the cost, we've both agreed we'll just pay for the skip but I'm adamant I'm not paying the vendors any more money.

The whole thing is just so upsetting and has really left a sour taste to the whole experience :(

I hope you're all sorted with your house now and enjoying having it clean at last :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

IrishAlice wrote: »
    If we had of known that they would come back looking for the money for the 2015 property tax we probably wouldn't have pursued the issue but our solicitor never advised us of that possibility.

Now we're stuck in a situation where we owe the vendors money even though they left us with a filthy dirty house full of junk. Even the attic is full of rubbish.

You're right about just suffering the cost, we've both agreed we'll just pay for the skip but I'm adamant I'm not paying the vendors any more money.

The whole thing is just so upsetting and has really left a sour taste to the whole experience :(

I hope you're all sorted with your house now and enjoying having it clean at last :)

Unless you actually agreed to refund the LPT to them you do not have a liability.
    We agreed to repay it to the vendor and the guys that bought our house agreed to rebate it to us... But as my solicitor explained nobody was obliged to refund any LPT.

Instruct your solicitor to advise their solicitor that you are not repaying the LPT.
    Pay the cost of the skip yourself.

That's all you can do I think.

Advertisement