Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Souped up avensis

Options
  • 03-01-2015 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

seen this yoke for sale on donedeal where he describes it as top spec . gone through a few adds and seen a lot of avensis described as top spec without basics like climate control , cruise control etc . so what is so good about these cars that makes them worth a few hundred more than another car of the same year?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-toyota-avensis-1-6-top-spec/8380880

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

3 out of the 4 wings aren't straight. It looks like a dog of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

Looks like there was a taxi sticker taken off one of the doors too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Damien360

Complete with rear spoiler for speed !

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

I know its probally a heap but was using it as an example of how he described it as top spec. the car is as basic as they come but from more ads ive viewed its seems to be common to describe a 1.6 strata as top spec and ask a premium for it . but are these cars worth the extra money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I just can't understand why someone would put a spoiler on a 1.6 Avensis.

• Advertisement

Veloce wrote: »

to make it go faster :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Veloce wrote: »

I remember those spoilers fitted to quiet a few Avensis back in the day. I wonder were they an official part that Toyota offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

That's nothing, if I can I'll try to get a pic of a 1.6 petrol Avensis I see around. 2007, slammed to the ground, white, 18" rims, and a full body kit on it.... woman 40ish from the Pakistani community drives it, so not the typical stereotype you'd associate with one.... if there is a stereotype with that type of Avensis :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Says in the add. "No stupid questions"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

visual wrote: »
    Says in the add. "No stupid questions"

Ah now, there's no such thing as a stupid question :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's glossed up poverty spec, the 1.6 was never sold in the UK, they had T-Spirit for top end spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

T4 and T-Spirit are the top specs on the UK Avensis. But I don't think they came with a 1.6, only the bigger engines. The T-Spirit even has heated leather!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

no avansis is ever top spec

that's what I mean the brits got to buy the top spec like t spirit t4 etc but what do we have here but the dull old stratas or auras or the very odd luna . would it be worthwhile going over to uk to import one ; like the newer spec tr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

My one is an '05 T4 hatchback D4D. Climate control, heated mirrors, auto dim rear view mirror, auto wipers, block heater, sat nav, 17s, and probably more i can't think of. The T spirit gets even more kit. UK import of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Top spec must mean the 5 door saloon.
    Never actually seen one myself but the seller has it listed as such.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That spoiler was actually a dealer fit afaik but Colm could probably confirm. Shocking all the same, someone must have found then stockpiled in a warehouse or something and sold them on to dealers. Alloy wheels look like they are from a UK spec Avensis.

1.6 was never available in the UK and only the base Aura and next up Strata trim were sold with it here. It's as high spec as a HD ready TV these days.

my brother got a year old avensis, nice car. It feels really bad compared to my lexus though. He did go for a good spec (i believe) but no sat nav, no leather, no auto anything, no Xenons, certainly no hot and cool seats, It did have a rear camera though (no sensors however). He could have got a nav unit but decided not to.

I don't think any Avensis in Ireland will ever be a high spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote: »
    That spoiler was actually a dealer fit afaik but Colm could probably confirm. Shocking all the same, someone must have found then stockpiled in a warehouse or something and sold them on to dealers. Alloy wheels look like they are from a UK spec Avensis.

1.6 was never available in the UK and only the base Aura and next up Strata trim were sold with it here. It's as high spec as a HD ready TV these days.

Yep, dealer fit. Think those alloys are too. We used to have to buy a certain amount of accessories per year so some dealers went nuts on base spec cars putting spoilers, front fogs, wind deflectors, leather interiors, wheels, lowered suspension etc on them to meet quotas and thus rebate. This car stinks of this.

There were 2 spoiler choices on that model, both were hideous.
    This is the other one:
    04.jpg

That's most likely a base Aura model that's been specced up.

You can clearly see the taxi sign glue and aeriel hole in the rear quarter panel too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

we had one new in 2006, got rid of it within 12 months, horrible vehicle

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Top spec meaning tinted, electric windows, alloy wheels and radio with CD player in this case, I bet you.
    Also, no pics of interior to show off said top spec, very strange.

Hachiko wrote: »
    my brother got a year old avensis, nice car. It feels really bad compared to my lexus though. He did go for a good spec (i believe) but no sat nav, no leather, no auto anything, no Xenons, certainly no hot and cool seats, It did have a rear camera though (no sensors however). He could have got a nav unit but decided not to.

I don't think any Avensis in Ireland will ever be a high spec.

In all fairness though, there really is no comparing a Lexus aimed at the premium market with a large size family saloon. The standard spec on a Lexus at one time would shame it's German rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I don't know what it is about this current avensis, but it just doesn't do it for me. I always forget about it when mentioning large family cars. I think it has fallen behind the likes of the insignia, passat and mondeo in terms of styling and technology..

The current Avensis was the poorest one so far imo. It was obviously built to a budget but the competition offers so much more. Even new players to the market like the Hyundai i40 had more thought put into them. I think buyers of the current one are mostly Toyota loyalists who tend to upgrade every few years, now the car won't give them much trouble and if it does they know Toyota's good after sales care will sort it. Toyota really need to up their game with the new one though as trading off their reputation or after sales no longer cuts it.

Wouldn't really see the Mondeo as a styling icon, the last one's interior packaging was terrible and the exterior styling really aged quickly imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The current Avensis is nice enough with spec, the leather seats are exceptionally nice but the Terra spec is an extremely depressing place to be and damages the models image badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭kirving

Some people are complete chances and try to sell it as top spec, others probably genuinely believe that a CD player and front fogs means top spec, and haven't a clue what Xenons even are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The words top spec and Toyota Avensis do not belong in the same sentence.
    That one looks like a dog. Ho interior pics,no no.plate pics no paper on the screen,oh I nearly forgot No time wasters.
    Defo a taxi I'd say. Even has a hole where an aerial was on the rear o/s quarter panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

hoodrats wrote: »
    avensis ... what is so good about these cars that makes them worth a few hundred more than another car of the same year?

i would have to say, imo the mk1 and mk2 Avensis seem to sell for a bit less than their German counterparts, mainly due to the Irish car buying public's massive attraction to German cars and the fact that most of the Avensis are only 1.6 petrol, with diesels being the rarity, not the norm

it's also worth mentioning that "top spec" in Ireland usually means electric windows, front fogs and alloys. most people think that that is as good as it gets unfortunately.

that said, i would have to say that the Avensis would be a much more stress free ownership experience than a similar aged diesel VW imo and for that reason they should hold money ok, but really they don't seem to.

i'd have to agree that the mk3 Avensis is a dose. i've ever only seen a handful of privately owned ones on the roads. if the state didn't buy a fleet of them in 2011 they would be a total disaster, the estate actually looks ok and can carry that front end, but the saloon is very ungainly.

yeah, the specification of the lexus made me buy it in the end (14 speaker Mark Levinson head unit is probably the best available anywhere), that and its reliability. As for the Avensis, the only top spec i could make out from my brothers car is the aux/usb connectivity.. !, and elec windows, rear camera. It had bog standard a/c also.

Is climate control not standard on other marques in Ireland? I cant see anyone in the uk buying a saloon car without climate control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 backslapper

That's nothing, if I can I'll try to get a pic of a 1.6 petrol Avensis I see around. 2007, slammed to the ground, white, 18" rims, and a full body kit on it.... woman 40ish from the Pakistani community drives it, so not the typical stereotype you'd associate with one.... if there is a stereotype with that type of Avensis :confused:

One pic i'd love to see

Advertisement