Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coconut milk?

Options
  • 02-01-2015 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm wondering, when making up juices that contain coconut milk in the recipe - is this the coconut milk I get from a tin in lidl/Asian stores?

Made up a juice with 200ml coconut milk (half a tin) and it just didn't taste right. Could be the other ingredients though, so going to try a recipe with fruits I've had before but just don't want to be opening loads of tins of coconut milk and wasting it.

Thanks

Bananaleaf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi

I'm wondering, when making up juices that contain coconut milk in the recipe - is this the coconut milk I get from a tin in lidl/Asian stores?

Made up a juice with 200ml coconut milk (half a tin) and it just didn't taste right. Could be the other ingredients though, so going to try a recipe with fruits I've had before but just don't want to be opening loads of tins of coconut milk and wasting it.

Thanks

Bananaleaf

When you say it didn't taste right, in what way do you mean?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I tried coconut milk that wasn't in a curry once and it was awful
    The people who say it's great in hot choc must be mental. imo :p

Maybe you just didn't like it
    but yea that's what they mean

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

Hi

Thanks

Bananaleaf

Could this be what the recipe means?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

When I say it tasted wrong, it tasted only of the coconut milk. Very watery and really strongly tasted of coconut! But tasted like dirty dish water (or what I imagine dirty dish water to taste like)

Little Lion woman, yes, I think that IS what they mean, because it had coconut milk (or almond) iive seen alpro almond milk, but never coconut. The mention of almond had me wondering whether or not I was using the right stuff.

To the shops! (Tomorrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

When I say it tasted wrong, it tasted only of the coconut milk. Very watery and really strongly tasted of coconut! But tasted like dirty dish water (or what I imagine dirty dish water to taste like)

Little Lion woman, yes, I think that IS what they mean, because it had coconut milk (or almond) iive seen alpro almond milk, but never coconut. The mention of almond had me wondering whether or not I was using the right stuff.

To the shops! (Tomorrow)

coconut milk is readily available in health food shops it comes in a carton similar to the almond milk. You will def find it in dunnes but I see it is a special buy in aldi from tomorrow. The thicker can based variety is not what you are looking for it is a thicker consistency, the required coconut milk is lighter

• Advertisement
Advertisement