Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Intake

Options
  • 01-01-2015 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm starting a 14 day programme on Monday just to give me a kick start into the new year and to get rid of the crap I ate during the Christmas.

I was just sent the diet plans for the course, the usual really. But one part of it, about water intake, has me confused.

It says that I should drink a litre of water per lb of bodyp weight, minimum.

Now, it doesn't state whether what length of time that is over, but the diet plan is a 7 day plan.

At 8st, I calculate that to be 112 lbs. Over 2 weeks that would make sense - 8litres. But this diet plan is meant for only a week.

My understanding of water is that it would be quite dangerous to be consuming 16 litres of water a day. Not to mention very difficult and time consuming!!

I will of course be able to ask about this on Monday but just looking for any help I can get now too
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

You'd never get 16L of water onboard in one day , you'll spend most of your time going to and from the jacks.

Specifying a water intake is a strange one. You should of course up your water intake if performing exercise but anything over a gallon seems excessive imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    It says that I should drink a litre of water per lb of bodyp weight, minimum.

Now, it doesn't state whether what length of time that is over, but the diet plan is a 7 day plan.

At 8st, I calculate that to be 112 lbs. Over 2 weeks that would make sense - 8litres. But this diet plan is meant for only a week.

My understanding of water is that it would be quite dangerous to be consuming 16 litres of water a day. Not to mention very difficult and time consuming!!

Definitely too much water; maximum would be 2-4l/day, depending on your weight and activity levels. For your weight, probably 2l/day would be max.

Drinking too much water can actually kill you - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

There must be some kind of mistake in that.
    2-4L / day is what you should be having really

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

At 8 stone why would you need to lose weight, or indeed follow a plan at all.

Just cut out the crap and you will be fine. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Yeah there must be a mistake, I knew that it was impossible for me to do this, was just wondering was this what everyone else was doing??

It's not long term, it's a 14 day kick start programme just to get me back into the swing of things since December, thats all. Then I will revert to normal - normal being pretty much the same thing but just not as strict on sugars and caffeine and not as many gym sessions.

I will just continue with the 4 litres a day and will clarify and let you know anyway what they say on Monday, just out of curiosity.

@meijin, yes I thought I had heard of that before alright!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

6'2 AND 13.5 stone

Probably drink about 6 litres a day. Is this ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Need about 2 litres water a day, if not in a hot desert, and healthy.

Too much and too little water are not good both.
    Control your food when on a water diet, no extra (or at all completely) salt and sugar and high potassium foods, enough proteins. Can eat everything but in a small amounts - do not stick yourself just for chicken and apples - different foods has different minerals and vitamins etc and our bodies need a variety of everything.

Not a professional advice. just information I read from the Internet recently.

Some people are overweight because their bodies hold too much water. Drinking some extra water flush youb body from exra salt and potassium and that helps to loose extra water from your body too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

al22 wrote: »
    Need about 2 litres water a day, if not in a hot desert, and healthy.

Too much and too little water are not good both.
    Control your food when on a water diet, no extra (or at all completely) salt and sugar and high potassium foods, enough proteins. Can eat everything but in a small amounts - do not stick yourself just for chicken and apples - different foods has different minerals and vitamins etc and our bodies need a variety of everything.

Not a professional advice. just information I read from the Internet recently.

Some people are overweight because their bodies hold too much water. Drinking some extra water flush youb body from exra salt and potassium and that helps to loose extra water from your body too.

You do realize the body is 60% water right...
    I'd reckon most people are overweight because their bodies hold too much fat , not water.
    Every system in your body depends on water. The Institute of Medicine determined that the adequate ontake for men is about 3L and 2.2L for women.. and that's without strenuous physical activity.
    You should drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and your urine is colorless or light yellow.

Advertisement