Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do when you have a cold?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Nurofen Cold & Flu, water, fancy tissues and sleep. I'm not one for infecting the entire office when I'm smothering so I'll stay at home and recover quickly. Anyone get the flu jab? So far so good here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

SMJSF wrote: »
    I've had the cold/flu/cough that's going around for the passed 2 weeks.... nothing has worked- tried paracetamol, lemsip, cough bottles, flu tablets, vitamins.... and I still have it :-(

Try manuka honey. You can get a jar of it in health food shops or some chemists. A jar of manila honey comes in different strengths like 20 or 100 and more different strengths. A small jar - it can be expensive like 20 euro and depending on strength, more. But it is good powerful stuff.

Stick in a teaspoon and pick up a teaspoon of honey and suck on it. It is great for sore throats and coughs. There was cold doing the rounds here too but I got manila honey and I didn't suffer from the cold. It didn't develop into a full blown cold. I find the worst part of a cold is the thirst that accompanies it and no matter what I drink, it doesn't go away.

For a blocked nose, get olbas oil (spelling?) and put a drop or two on a tissue and place it near the bedside where you sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Iv been dying of a cold since xmas eve. Iv beej to the gym 3 times and out hunting twice one of which i hiled 2 mountains over the day. I normally just bitch and moan alot but ic 2 weeks off work so im making the most of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 flyingdoctor72

Forget the chemicals, they're only good for putting more money into rich men's pockets, you need to go natural i.e. Fruit & Veg for vitamin C plus Echinacea & garlic - they can reduce the length of a cold/flu but if you have them regularly anyway you will very rarely get ill in the first place, I do and I honestly can't remember the last time I had a cold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I'm always eating oranges and bananas and onions an garlic and all sorts of fruit and I get a major cold once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

Forget the chemicals, they're only good for putting more money into rich men's pockets, you need to go natural i.e. Fruit & Veg for vitamin C plus Echinacea & garlic - they can reduce the length of a cold/flu but if you have them regularly anyway you will very rarely get ill in the first place, I do and I honestly can't remember the last time I had a cold

Whats the secret?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've started eating a lot of garlic and onions as well and I haven't had a cold like I normally would have by now. Really seems to help
    Not scientific proof of course...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    I just get on with things and try not to disgust people with my germiness. Vitamin C helps a good bit. And good old lemsip.

Never mind the lemsip. Make your own hot lemon. The juice of half a lemon and hot water. It always works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Actifed + lemsip and get on with it.

I've only one rule when I'm sick, leave me alone cos I'm a terrible patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muslimstudent

I usually take flu tablets, paracetamol & lemsip to eliminate the symptons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I sneeze and cough for a few days.
    It's the traditional thing to do when one has a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Get into bed fully clothed. Dont get out if it gets a bit warm. Stick/sweat it out of ya. Did that the other day. Sheets, covers, tracksuit all SOAKED when i woke up. But i was brand new. Had a couple of hot whiskeys before bed to get the ball rolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

thestar wrote: »
    do you take medication such as paracetamol/uniflu?

Nope, too often they just mask the symptoms.

Old wisdom prevails here: chicken noodle soup and vitamin C. Stay away from dairy as it will make you congested.

Try and get Vitamin C in the powder crystal form, not tablets.

I agree with what Michael Savage has to say about Vitamin C here and here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Hot whiskeys and spliffs

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Complain and feel sorry for myself, I'm not a patient patient...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

I usually take flu tablets, paracetamol & lemsip to eliminate the symptons.

Paracetamol & lemsip ???

There's paracetamol in lemsip already. If you're taking them together or in a short space of time its a paracetamol overdose. Its too much work on your liver and you may end up dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I man the **** up and cut some turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Alcohol actually helps.

I'm just getting over a seriously bad chest infection and cold. All Christmas Day I was sleeping, drinking cups of tea, using VapoRub etc...but then it got to 10pm and I thought "Feck this" and opened the wine.
    After two glasses, I felt better.
    I told my GP yesterday and he nodded and said "Yeah I have heard that."

So get yourself some booze my friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Actually, the power of prayer is most efficacious for colds, I find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I dose myself with Lemsip and carry on as normal.

You mean taking a bite of turf doesnt cure it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Keep yourself very well hydrated. Use paracetamol to manage your temperature and ibuprofen if you get a pain in your head. Pseudoephidrine is great for a clogged nose but may stop you sleeping.

Vitamin c, ecinachea, garlic are all bull**** and have been proven so. Don't waste your money.

Ask your pharmacist, describing your symptoms in detail and they'll point you in the right direction, referring you if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muslimstudent

Paracetamol & lemsip ???

There's paracetamol in lemsip already. If you're taking them together or in a short space of time its a paracetamol overdose. Its too much work on your liver and you may end up dying.

My post was not clear actually.
    I don't actually take them everything together at the same time.
    Thanks for your advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I havent had a cold for years, but anytime I do feel the very start of something coming on I just drink hot water and lemon and it doesn't get a hold. Prevention is better than cure with these things, everyone always wants a magic cure once they are ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Sweat it out. Only works for some people mind, but for those who do it's a pancea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

SMJSF wrote: »
    I've had the cold/flu/cough that's going around for the passed 2 weeks.... nothing has worked- tried paracetamol, lemsip, cough bottles, flu tablets, vitamins.... and I still have it :-(

You know those words I've bolded aren't interchangeable terms right?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Day nurse and night nurse are my pharmaceuticals of choice. Day nurse if I've stuff to do. Its only covering up symptoms but gives an hour or 2 of relief to get me out of my self pity pit. Night nurse makes you sleepy but also decongests and suppresses cough. Again only covering up symptoms but I think getting a good unbroken nights sleep is half the battle of recovering quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Currently have the makings of a sore throat developing. Tried the honey and lemon Strepsils and they do sweet FA so I made up a proper hot drink of sliced lemon and a bigass dollop of squeezy honey in a mug of boiling water. Much more effective and tastier!
    I also stocked up on Sudafed tablets as my sinuses were playing up and so far, I feel reasonably good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If I have a really congested / blocked nose, i.e. if it feels like I have concrete up my nose, I find that Sudofed Nasal Spray is amazing. It instantly clears my nose. I find that pseudoephedrine tablets don't have any effect on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Currently have a cough and a bit of a cold. Mostly complaining about that fact, but I take the Panadol berry drink, and peach and raspberry Hall Soothers and have been snacking on lots of bananas and berries. Usually I can ward off the beginning of a cold and be fine, but it's completely got me this time :(

Also everytime I get a cold or the flu I get very melodramatic and always think "oh no, what it never leaves and I'll always feel this way" :p

Advertisement