Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

The dartboard method of career selection ? For every one person that by accident found out they liked the subject, I'll show you a dozen that left their IT course or profession.

I don't think anyone here expects the OP to simply take the suggestions here and fill in his CAO without further research. He wants to know what areas offer good jobs prospects.

Any ideas yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Who Knows?

What about a career in: http://79.170.40.241/vocations.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Hey OP, as cheesy as it may sound, have you ever done one of those online career quiz things to see what your strengths may be?
    Myers and Briggs is a good one..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Go into something in the digital industries as this is where the most opportunities are at the moment and growing.

I have been studying with Digital Skills Academy for the past 2 years and would advise you to look at some of the stuff they are doing. This what I am doing at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Who Knows?

Don't go into the digital world for jobs. It is becoming the new construction world - every rushing for the same opportunity. This will also crash (into min wage) soon! Do what you enjoy! Take off the "career" lens and looks at it through a different lens - what would you like to wake up doing?

• Advertisement

Who Knows? wrote: »
    What about a career in: http://79.170.40.241/vocations.ie/

Would he not need, you know... A nod from God. A vocation as it were?

Pretty much guaranteed a job to be fair. Might want to wait to see how the auld celibacy thing goes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭alistair spuds

smcgiff wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here expects the OP to simply take the suggestions here and fill in his CAO without further research. He wants to know what areas offer good jobs prospects.

Any ideas yourself?

Yes first and foremost he needs to determine what jobs are available closest to, or at least somewhat semi-related to, his own interests. Shopping by salary and job availablity only is a very bad mistake. Unless you want to be stuck studying for, and doing a job you have little interest in for years.

I know its after hours and maybe you're just trying to take the piss out of the OP, but throwing out useless advice like "you should be a programmer . + 1", without knowing any of the OP interests, is about as poor advice as you can give.

I know its after hours and maybe you're just trying to take the piss out of the OP, but throwing out useless advice like "you should be a programmer . + 1", without knowing any of the OP interests, is about as poor advice as you can give.

I'd like to think my AH replies are distinguishable from the serious advice. I've already got into a mind numbingly stupid argument on AHs already in the last few hours so I'm going to leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

I agree completely. It's like someone going into a taxi and saying "I want to go somewhere nice."

So I think the OP is really not going to get too far until he starts thinking about what might be of interest. It's just not possible to do career planning without doing this work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

theres jobs goin in london bus, you just have to pass the driving and do the test , easy money

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

You have a degree. Why can't you study further from that rather than starting all over again? You could even do a medical post grad course.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

theres jobs goin in london bus, you just have to pass the driving and do the test , easy money

But you'd have to do shift work and I don't think fuzzy likes doing shift work.

Advertisement