Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a New VW Passat - advice needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

OP, the only way you will find out if the dealer is offering you a good trade in price is by doing a bit of leg work I'm afraid and visiting other dealers.
    If they ask you what you have been already offered tell them a slightly better figure than what you have really been told. If they match this or go slightly better than you know there is room for manoeuvre. If they can't match this figure or come close than the original price might not have been so bad after all. there will come a point when the sales guy will really have given you his best shot.
    With regard to the car itself, if you are using VW finance it might be worth looking at a high line spec as I think VW offer lower interest rates on the higher specs to get people into them.
    If most people buying now go with the higher spec in a few years this will be more sought after and comfortline may not hold its value relative to highline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

Decoda wrote: »
    Hi,

I was thinking of trading in my existing Passat so visited my local VW dealer this morning. After a sit down with the salesperson I was hoping for some feedback from the forum. I have to admit that I always hate buying a car and would be the first to admit that I am not the best at dealing with sales people.

The car I was trading in is a 2011 VW Passat 1.6 Bluemotion Diesel comfortline with metallic paint and 121,000 kilometres. Dealer described it as being in good condition with good bodywork, drives well with a full VW service history at this garage.

The car I was hoping to trade up to is a new VW Passat 2015 1.6 Diesel comfortline with metallic paint. List price of €32,253 ( incl met. Paint and dealer delivery)

The dealer would like €19,250 with my existing car to complete the deal. To me this meant he was giving me €13,000 for a 2011 VW Passat. Do you consider the trade in value of my own car as being fair?

When I said I wasn't happy with the trade in value he had given my car he turned his computer monitor toward me and said that they always use Carzone.ie as a means of assigning a trade in value. Sure enough there was a number of cars similar to mine at €13,000 but a lot more around €16k to €16.5k which is where I thought I was regarding the value of my car.

Am I mad to be expecting this kind of money for a 4 year old car with 120,000 kilometres?

Thanks for reading

DC

Getting my Golf serviced tomorrow will ask salesman for a figure based on your details .. they have 16 sold for january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Given they know your car and have serviced it, this sounds around 2k too much to me to change.

If you are anywhere close to the west of ireland then: if previous form is anything to go by: you won't get a better deal on a new VW anywhere in Ireland than a certain county Galway dealer. Known to undercut every other dealer in the country. Especially when you are trading like for like.

My dad bought a golf recently and both the galway dealers wanted 2-3k euro more than he got one for all were demos same spec year. The one he bought from is 170 km from us and no other dealer could come within 1500 euro of them straight deal no trade in. I went to drop him to collect it and I met several different people collecting their new Vw all from different counties some 2 hours away and they all got the best deal of this dealer they told me some of the trade in values they were getting and I couldn't believe some of the values.

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Given they know your car and have serviced it, this sounds around 2k too much to me to change.

If you are anywhere close to the west of ireland then: if previous form is anything to go by: you won't get a better deal on a new VW anywhere in Ireland than a certain county Galway dealer. Known to undercut every other dealer in the country. Especially when you are trading like for like.

I wouldn't go near them from what i have read about them here ..

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

yes,a look at their 2nd hand stock reg plates show this.heard that they sold nearly as many in Clare as sole vw trader in county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

noelf wrote: »
    I wouldn't go near them from what i have read about them here ..

They're not building the car for him though. My uncle bought a new car there about 9 years ago and they actually lost it. (They have fields upon fields of cars and kept all the keys in the boot of one car) They looked for it for hours and it didn't turn up. In the end I think they de-regged the original one and regged a different identical one. That said he saved €1000 by going with that dealer.

If its cheaper then who cares about customer care. The warranty is redeemable in any dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Yeah,the fields were some sight alright.But I think they built a huge concrete lot and its a bit better organised now.Notwithstanding their turnover,they were in a widely reported court case about 3 years ago for allegedly misrepresnting previous damage to a car they sold.

Way undervalued according to my local dealer ..subject to timing belt being done and no issues with clutch and flywheel €14000 plus subject to negotiations if you need anymore details just let me know ..

Advertisement