Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas special 2014 Part 2 (28th December)

Options
  • 28-12-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,414 ✭✭✭✭

F48UrO.jpg
    The conclusion of the two-part special in which Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May take three used, V8-engined sports cars on a gruelling road trip covering 1,600 miles through Patagonia to the world's southernmost city. Having encountered stunning landscapes, mechanical mishaps and dreadful roads on their journey through Argentina, the trio's adventure is brought to a dramatic climax by a terrifying turn of events.

Radio Times

Rate tonight's episode 41 votes

Excellent
    0% 0 votes
    Above average
    14% 6 votes
    Average
    31% 13 votes
    Below average
    39% 16 votes
    Terrible
    14% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

another injury for May on one of these specials

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Tis like a "best of" really.

Cow on car roof - check
    Horses called Tesco/Burger - check
    Falling off same - check
    Horn hooked up to brake - check

Generally enjoying this, but it's very much lacking original jokes

Sad sad situation - check

One wheel hard lock and the other one straight - check

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

scary stuff now

Yep; incredible.

Utter scumbags

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

True men making it out of that hell hole. Fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Not a great special overall. Feel that probably had a lot to do with the reaction to the plates cutting the journey short. They had to put to much filler in to do a two hour special after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Above average for me. I forgot the episode was even on & only stumbled across the very start if it last night. I enjoyed both parts, more so than any of the recent specials. The set pieces & scripting was kept in the background which I prefer, & the scenery was stunning. Scary ending :eek:

"Is the 2CV out there?"
    "No"
    "Whew; for a second I thought we were in trouble there"

:p

Saw the suggestion elsewhere that the specials had become Palinesque travelogues. They have in a way, and I like them like that. Everywhere can't have the North Pole's danger or the Chilean dune finale or a bike crash. The Burma one has grown on me, and the Middle East one I think is very underrated; I've always enjoyed that one.

This had its moments - the border crossing, the beaver talk, the camp at Tierro del Fuego. The finale obviously. I think it needed more jokes and humour to go with the amazing scenery and the adventure. Maybe a stronger route flow.

Not a classic special. But enjoyable enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

How did the 3 of them make it out of the hotel? I got lost in the chaos of the ending.

A bit better than last night's episode. Interesting to see the story from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The ending with the crew was very scary and if it was a publicity stunt (I think it was) It went very bad and they were lucky to get out. I do not think anyone thought it would go that far. Was there any reaction by the Argentinian government to what happened. The ending with the 2 could have been cut me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Set up..

EB_2013 wrote: »
    How did the 3 of them make it out of the hotel? I got lost in the chaos of the ending.
    In real life, I think they were flown out.

But they came up with an alternate escape ending for the programme based on the Butch Cassidy link (which I didn't really follow unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Very enjoyable episode tonight apart from the scary end. I think they had to space the whole thing out a bit because of the incident at the end which meant the first episode contained less quality content.

I don't actually think the number plates made a massive difference, I think those idiots would have caused trouble anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,414 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think those idiots would have caused trouble anyway.

Which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Which ones?

The people who egged and threw stones at the crew.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

thelad95 wrote: »
    I don't actually think the number plates made a massive difference, I think those idiots would have caused trouble anyway.

Have to agree, if you're that unpopular just based on your nationality and the police lead you into it, plate or no plate the mob have their way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't really know what to make of the end, too much dash cam footage (not that I expect them to jeopardise their safety) to know what's true. I think the scarier bit was at the hotel.

The talking point should be the night skies of the camp at Tierra del Fuego. Stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tonight BBC screened the episode of Top Gear in which Clarkson and the whole crew were told to get out of Argentina.

I use to like Clarkson before his little Englander stuff got in the way - slagging off other countries and cultures and extolling the virtues of Britain at other's expense. It gets tiresome.

He denies the number plate on his porsche used in the episode was a reference to the Falkland's War. It was just a chance number plate.

Since we are not all completely stupid let us consider the chance that this is a number plate a British TV show with him in charge happens to end up with.

http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Media/Pix/pictures/2014/10/21/1413903116329/Top-Gear--Jeremy-Clarkson-010.jpg

He put his crew in physical danger with this stupidity.

Even if he was genuinely telling the truth and didn't know you would think he would take one look at the plate and realise how well it would go down?

The BBC are putting up with a lot of heat because of him and I can't see him lasting much longer in the roll.

The straw must be breaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pretty crap special from top gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Could never see the attraction of this show, 3 unfunny men driving cars just doesn't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Fairly sure the whole thing was scripted but carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dempsey wrote: »
    Fairly sure the whole thing was scripted but carry on...

Of course. But them getting kicked out was hardly scripted. Unless the stone throwers are extras.

Unless the intention was to get kicked out of course which would not actually surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

IMHO the reg was completely intentional, although it's really clutching at straws. "N982 FKL" is subtle, in fact I wouldn't have noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Makes for good Chrimbo telly, wot! Snortt...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I am a little amazed that they actually thought they could go close to the Falkland Islands and think they could just do their ignorant Top Gear routine (and be rude and racist, but its okay because we are being funny) and get away with it. This when there has been an stirring up of emotions by the Argentinian government as well recently.

There is no excuse for the way the people reacted to their presence. But surely one of the crew of 31 had to have had second thoughts about this whole concept?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i don't know, i think no matter what Clarkson does or says now he's under the microscope he's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't

they have shown that reg on the car was registered to that car in the 90's, so unless they paid it's previous owner lots of cash to buy that car specifically, we have to assume none of them spotted it,

its not that hard to assume really, since the internet started to allow millions of us to analyze photo's/playback video footage, things have been spotted that were never noticed before, how often have we seen stills from movies from the 90's and gone "wow i never noticed that before"

its very reasonable to believe if a cast and crew of 100+ (and editors and directors) failed to spot the actor from 300 (or braveheart or whatever it was) wearing a digital watch that a crew of 30+ didn't spot a reg that referenced a war.

as for Clarkson, the Daily fail this morning is pulling him up on being "Racist" again for asking hammond "was the bridge straight?" in last nights episode???

it's getting beyond ridiculous, if he was anyone else (some of whom have said worse in their attempts to be funny) nothing would be said about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭Enzokk

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i don't know, i think no matter what Clarkson does or says now he's under the microscope he's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't

they have shown that reg on the car was registered to that car in the 90's, so unless they paid it's previous owner lots of cash to buy that car specifically, we have to assume none of them spotted it,

its not that hard to assume really, since the internet started to allow millions of us to analyze photo's/playback video footage, things have been spotted that were never noticed before, how often have we seen stills from movies from the 90's and gone "wow i never noticed that before"

its very reasonable to believe if a cast and crew of 100+ (and editors and directors) failed to spot the actor from 300 (or braveheart or whatever it was) wearing a digital watch that a crew of 30+ didn't spot a reg that referenced a war.

as for Clarkson, the Daily fail this morning is pulling him up on being "Racist" again for asking hammond "was the bridge straight?" in last nights episode???

it's getting beyond ridiculous, if he was anyone else (some of whom have said worse in their attempts to be funny) nothing would be said about it.

Very true, although the program, and Clarkson, do have form regarding stunts that they pull. If this was isolated I would have agreed that it was a mistake. But them referencing that Argentina is in dispute with Chile regarding some other islands just confirms that they didn't just forget about the Falklands.

I think that they negative publicity they received about the "slope" line made it easier to forget if they ever had a discussion about the number plate. Surely they could have had the plate replaces with another one and if they got pulled over it would be explained why it is not the registered plate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

man98 wrote: »
    IMHO the reg was completely intentional, although it's really clutching at straws. "N982 FKL" is subtle, in fact I wouldn't have noticed it.

It wasn't intentional, The Mirror found the ad where the car was bought weeks before the start and no reg could be seen in any picture.

In all honesty, it was a mob looking to throw stones and eggs based on nationality. A number plate had nothing to do with it.

Advertisement