Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's so great about Australia?

Options
  • 28-12-2014 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

I never got it. Ridiculously expensive. Devoid of any meaningful culture. Uncomfortably hot. Crawling in biting insects. Humourless and arrogant locals.

I spent a month in there eight years ago and I have absolutely no desire to ever go back.

Other than the possibility of getting a mediocre job what is the attraction with the place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

He won the Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I never got it. Ridiculously expensive. Devoid of any meaningful culture. Uncomfortably hot. Crawling in biting insects. Humourless and arrogant locals.

I spent a month in there eight years ago and I have absolutely no desire to ever go back.

Other than the possibility of getting a mediocre job what is the attraction with the place?

It's like anywhere else, it's what you make of it. Been in Brissy for over 2.5 years. Would have to call you out on humourless and arrogant locals. I've met some lovely people down here. Maybe you were spending too much time pissed in the backpackers bar when you last visited :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Warm. English speaking. Less taxes than ireland. Bloody beautiful mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

The barrier reef, the White shark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Less taxes than ireland.

*ears perk* Oh yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Summer Bay, ya flamin' galah!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Mainly the Irish bars and the constant Facebook updates to inform everybody that you have left the country.

But most importantly the surprise return home where a person can record themselves surprising mammy on video for the ****load of Facebook likes. That's where the serious Facebook likes are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Knifey spooney !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Ruu wrote: »

I killed a flamin galah once.it flew into my wind shield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The reason Australia appealed so much was because of their strong economy, which weathered the recession very well (being that it relies heavily on natural resource exploitation). Its also english speaking, developed and has a pleasant climate.

Importantly, it is also far away (so it is exotic but without being so - if you know what I mean) and work visas are easy to come by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

It's a pineapple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I have traveled quite a bit and lived In oz and Canada. I would put Melbourne on the top of my list for best city I have ever been too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

I love Australian people! They just cut through the nonsense and get to the bloody point a lot quicker than most. No chit-chat, no foreplay, straight to business. Some people find that "rude" or "abrasive" or something. Not me, I find it refreshing and a nice change of pace.

The weather is just stunning.

Scenery in some areas is simply breathtaking.

The only downside for me is the animals, particularly those of the snakes and spiders bent. I was there about 3 years ago, and one morning when I was wandering to the bathroom after getting up, this thing about the size of my head with eight big long legs appeared out of the bath. I screamed like a girl and legged it out of the house (in my underwear), hyperventilating and nearly crying. I'm not normally scared of spiders, but this was no spider. T'was a remorseless killing machine. My relatives got a good laugh out of it, but I never felt sheer terror like it in my life. Never ran so fast in my life either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

no history

uv sun cancer

lack water

all population been in prison or had ancestors in prison

snakes and poisonous spiders also saltwater crocodiles

24 hours to get there-why would you bother

high taxes

auusis are racists

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

See below.
    braddun wrote: »
    no history
    Tell that to the aboriginal people

uv sun cancer
    Wear a hat and sunscreen

lack water
    Plenty of water all around the edge and " tropical " north

all population been in prison or had ancestors in prison
    Lol, about 20-25% of current population immigrated here. To get in they had to be smarter than you chief...

snakes and poisonous spiders also saltwater crocodiles
    Not in my house

24 hours to get there-why would you bother
    People queue for one direction tickets for longer. Watch a few movies, have a beer and a nap.

high taxes
    Higher wages

auusis are racists
    Some, but no more than than the pig ignorant type of which plenty in Ireland too.

It is what it is, some people travel the world in reverse to live in places like.... North Dublin or portlaoise... Go figure!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Had composed an earlier post but lost it. Summary
    Pros: (no particular order and I am male and it was 1988 )

Weather
    Food
    Beer
    Wine
    Easiness of finding well Paid work. Work ethic about 0.1 ( on the Dexter bip index) of at home.

Beautiful people
    Frankness. No doubt where you stood
    Coober pedy.
    Drive through bottle shop

Cons
    No culture. No nice pubs. Anywhere. I was all over.
    Low emphasis on Education overall. Surfer dude rules.
    Insects
    Multicultural difficulties in communication. Actually I was part of that. Failed ever over several months to articulate 'Burger' or 'milk' ( tried to order both together once in Townsville in a chipper and left with something totally different ) without success.
    First long away trip like many Irish people. All memories are fond ones.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Never been.

BUT

Had a voluptuous Aussie girl grab me one time and say "You're moine layta, sweetie".
    And hers I was, "layta".
    Tarty black mascara, upper arms like a docker and a tattoo on her arse....rocked my world, did she.

That's my only experience of Australia and a good one :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

For me, the best thing about Australia is how it took away a huge number of the c*nts that used to live around home. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

On the plus side Australia is on the otherside of the world but not to overtly generalise most Aussies I've met are arrogant arseh*les ime ..,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

It takes away a good few a**holes who I might have to put up with in NZ if Australia didn't exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I went up to an open day about Australia in the Citywest hotel during the summer, they really talked it up and made it an attractive place to live all right but it seemed to be the 20 to 35 year age group with professional qualifications that they were seeking.

No room for me over in aussieland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

JaseHeath wrote: »
    I love Australian people! They just cut through the nonsense and get to the bloody point a lot quicker than most. No chit-chat, no foreplay, straight to business. Some people find that "rude" or "abrasive" or something. Not me, I find it refreshing and a nice change of pace.

The weather is just stunning.

Scenery in some areas is simply breathtaking.

The only downside for me is the animals, particularly those of the snakes and spiders bent. I was there about 3 years ago, and one morning when I was wandering to the bathroom after getting up, this thing about the size of my head with eight big long legs appeared out of the bath. I screamed like a girl and legged it out of the house (in my underwear), hyperventilating and nearly crying. I'm not normally scared of spiders, but this was no spider. T'was a remorseless killing machine. My relatives got a good laugh out of it, but I never felt sheer terror like it in my life. Never ran so fast in my life either.

Sounds like you stumbled upon a huntsman , and yeah, they're a scary looking Bastard, but relatively harmless.

For me, I would possibly put Australia as the best Country in the world to live, great climate, strong economy, low (ish) taxes, great public transport in the cities, great beaches, great people (aussie women are horny as hell)

Lived in the northern beaches part of Sydney for a few years, spent a year in Perth/Melbourne and travelled the country with work, would go back in a heart beat (wife won't though)

Australia ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

braddun wrote: »

auusis are racists

And Irish people aren't of course. One mention of 'Roma', 'Travellers' (or even 'English') on Boards and stand back and wait for the shower of invective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I love Aussie women but a lot of the men are @rseholes.Not sure why there is such a difference in the genders but it is definitely there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's the easy option, people are genearlly too lazy to learn a second language so that only leaves US, Canada, UK, Oz and NZ. UK economy is not so hot, US & Canadian visas are hard to get, so that leaves Oz and NZ. NZ doesn't have as many options as Oz, so that is where most go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Skippy, the bush kangaroo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,827 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ruu wrote: »

And women like you?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

When the are falls out of it like it did here for the poles etc all said asreholes
    will be back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Must be all them sexy big bicep'd kangaroos.

Advertisement