Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial cars/jeeps

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

corktina wrote: »
    that "only" needs to be emphasised....It has always been the case that you are not supposed to use a Commercial for anything else, never stopped me but then again.....The Gards never stopped me either.

There seems to be very few garda that have any interest in doing people for it. From there point of view it's a lot easier to do a someone for no tax or nct bald tyres etc. where as trying to prove someone is using a commercial privately is more difficult. As I said I've never heard of anyone been done it doesn't seem to be enforced once you go through the procedure to get the commercial tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

6 years and 160,000 miles in my commercial landcruiser. Countless Garda checkpoints... but all above board. Never asked about what I was using it for. That has included stops at all hours of day and night, and once we were going to a wedding in it. Gardai are stretched as it is, they don't care if Tommy is using the van to go for a pint of milk of a Sunday.

Never heard anyone ever have hassle over driving with commercial tax and Id know a lot of people with commercials from some used 100% for private use and commuting to those using it for their work but also as a private car (mostly farmers and tradesmen). Personally I wouldn't dream of paying private tax on something that could be taxed commercially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i bet you pay half fare on the bus too...(or would if you were not so tall

corktina wrote: »
    i bet you pay half fare on the bus too...(or would if you were not so tall

On the extremly rare occasion I use a bus I pay the cheapest fare I can get away with which is the student rate.

Paying the private rate of tax on a commercial vehicle is ridiculous in my opinion and the vast majority of people would agree with me on that hence why privately taxes commercials are a very rare beast on our roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

So in a perfect world, the seller would tax the vehicle for 12 months, about 5 minutes before he sells it to you?

That way you can evade the problem for a year?

The thing that gets me about this is that, I actually like jeeps. I like their look/appearance etc. but can't justify tax of over €1,000 for the sake of my taste in cars.

However, I actually am self employed. I'm a photographer.

It kills me to pay €710 per year on a 2 litre Peugeot 407, when I could have a jeep (that I'd much prefer) at €333.

My concern is that revenue will turn around and say "Sure you're not transporting enough gear/making enough money/travelling far enough" or some other reason to give me a hard time. :o

Or is it literally a case that once you're doing something (anything at all), even if you only get one job on per year, and it's in the next door neighbours house, and you get paid €3.50 for it, do you still get away with having a commercially taxed vehicle?

As a photographer you probably don't just have a camera, but tripods, other equipment, etc. Just have something in the back all the time :-)

The thing that gets me about this is that, I actually like jeeps. I like their look/appearance etc. but can't justify tax of over €1,000 for the sake of my taste in cars.

However, I actually am self employed. I'm a photographer.

My concern is that revenue will turn around and say "Sure you're not transporting enough gear/making enough money/travelling far enough" or some other reason to give me a hard time. :o

Revenue aren't at all bothered, you can fill in the form documenting your PPS number if you don't have a VAT number for your photography business. State on the form you are a photographer, Garda stamps it, job done. Off to the tax office.

Now the problem comes if you intend using the vehicle privately after making a declaration that you will use it 100% for business use.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

I know a tradesman driving his transit, who was stopped at a garda checkpoint, with his daughter in one of those baby seats in passenger seat. He had to remain there until his partner was called to collect their daughter in their car. This wasnt a school run, but they probably reckoned she was too young to be an employee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Augeo wrote: »
    Revenue aren't at all bothered, you can fill in the form documenting your PPS number if you don't have a VAT number for your photography business. State on the form you are a photographer, Garda stamps it, job done. Off to the tax office.

Now the problem comes if you intend using the vehicle privately after making a declaration that you will use it 100% for business use.

True. But the problem with that is enforcement. Virtually any journey he does would be easy to come up with a commercial reason: Meeting a client; picking up equipment; servicing the vehicle.

The Gards don't want to 17 rounds of angels on pinheads to make a case. That's why they wait outside schools for the Transits and 4x4s to drop the kids off. There's no amount of smart answers that will get you off of that.

I have heard of people done for it. I don't know the consequences. They're usually pretty quiet afterwards. I imagine its some sort of fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

True. But the problem with that is enforcement. Virtually any journey he does would be easy to come up with a commercial reason: Meeting a client; picking up equipment; servicing the vehicle.

The Gards don't want to 17 rounds of angels on pinheads to make a case. That's why they wait outside schools for the Transits and 4x4s to drop the kids off. There's no amount of smart answers that will get you off of that.

I have heard of people done for it. I don't know the consequences. They're usually pretty quiet afterwards. I imagine its some sort of fine.

Would depend on the job. As a musician, I drive my commercial at all times except normal working hours ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement