Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Stevens day and Boxing day

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

c_man wrote: »
    Well before that, we'll have to talk about this "The South" business

Think he means the free state, and if he does he is way off the mark, we are in both the free state and The South and we say Boxing Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Think he means the free state, and if he does he is way off the mark, we are in both the free state and The South and we say Boxing Day.

I bet that "practicing atheist" guy from yesterday also calls it Boxing Day :pac:

I bet that "practicing atheist" guy from yesterday also calls it Boxing Day :pac:

Ha, it's amazing how many people forget about how atheist they claim to be when you take St Stephen away from them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

Catch yourselves on.

It's 26th December.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Why do people have such a problem with people calling it 'Boxing Day'? The UK is a different, mostly non-Catholic country, and Donegal, where it's also used, has strong ties to Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

The Free State ended in 1937. The name of this country I'm in is Ireland or in the Irish language Eire. It's time you caught up.

The Free State ended in 1937. The name of this country I'm in is Ireland or in the Irish language Eire. It's time you caught up.
    If Oscar Wilde were alive today, he'd probably have to put a :p after every sentence he bleeding wrote.

If Oscar Wilde were alive today, he'd probably have to put a :p after every sentence he bleeding wrote.

No he wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Éirinn go Brách!!

• Advertisement

No he wouldn't.
    Yes he . . oh

Yes he . . oh

Good man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

kneemos wrote: »
    Say Boxing Day in the South and you're always met with an immediate chorus of Stephens Day.

You should try saying it in Londonderry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Why do people have such a problem with people calling it 'Boxing Day'? The UK is a different, mostly non-Catholic country, and Donegal, where it's also used, has strong ties to Scotland.

We don't have to copy everything they do in the UK.

You do know that Ireland is a different country than the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's not the UK so why would anybody call it Boxing Day?

lertsnim wrote: »

Its called Boxing Day in many countries apart from the UK but I wouldn't get upset about it if an Irish person used the name.

Anyway, when I was a kid we never called it St Stephen's Day, Boxing Day or the day after Christmas.

Down our way it was called Lá an Dreoilín. And a much nicer name it is too.

To wind people up possibly. Maybe. Hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

Everyone knows the correct name for the day is actually Stephenses Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well before that, we'll have to talk about this "The South" business

The most Northenly part of Ireland is in the south :-)

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g186601-d522471-r131141047-Malin_Head-County_Donegal.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Because they do? Why not ask a Donegal person why they say it? There must be some reason, and I'm sure it's a valid one.

• Advertisement

Because they do? Why not ask a Donegal person why they say it? There must be some reason, and I'm sure it's a valid one.
    Because we're thran!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Because we're thran!

Trannies?

Call it a kilt all you want-it's still a tartan skirt.

Why not ask a Donegal person why they say it?

Because they'd probably tell you.

Life is short enough.

crockholm wrote: »
    Trannies?

Call it a kilt all you want-it's still a tartan skirt.
    Naw, thran. As in stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well they have an Orange Hall and do the march so maybe thats how they started calling it Boxing Day.

Well they have an Orange Hall
    There's quite a few of them actually, as there are in Cavan and Monaghan and even Dublin.
    and do the march so maybe thats how they started calling it Boxing Day.
    Yes, there is a march in Rossnowlagh every year, and although the vast majority of Donegal people don't bother about it and it always passes of with incident, the fact that there aren't 160,000 people at it would suggest that we don't 'do' it.

Both of those things have fcuk all to do with why we call the 26th Boxing Day.

Advertisement