Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be shopping in the Sales tomorrow?

Options
  • 25-12-2014 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

I see the Next Sale starts tomorrow, probably at 6am or some other ungodly hour, I'm sure there will be plenty others too.
    Will you be heading to the shops?
    I will not be, for various reasons:

-I hate the crowds
    -I hate the consumerism, there's enough sales the rest of the year
    -The stock is usually rubbish that nobody else wanted, in either tiny or huge sizes that don't fit me
    -I hate seeing shop staff dragged to work so soon after Christmas (I was one of them for years), so I vote with my feet and stay home.

Thoughts?

Will you be going to the Stephen's Day Sales? 114 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    11% 13 votes
    Only if I am dragged in/Not sure/I will shop online
    88% 101 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Haha, nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flutterby80

I work in retail management so I'm back in at 8am tomorrow, absolutely dreading it :( The rest of my family will all be at home enjoying Christmas, it's time for a career change I think! I swear if I ever do get out of retail I will never go shopping on St Stephens Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Poor cnuts will be up at all hours in the morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

most people shop online now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

kneemos wrote: »
    Poor cnuts will be up at all hours in the morning.

The shop staff? Yep, and no public transport at that hour- many of them are teenagers or students who have no car and may not be able to afford a taxi- so their poor parents etc have to drive them in which means they're up at all hours too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

braddun wrote: »
    most people shop online now

Steam Sale is the only one I care about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Unless the pubs are selling free booze to the firstcomers then no. However I will be celebrating the end of enforced happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I work in retail management so I'm back in at 8am tomorrow, absolutely dreading it :( The rest of my family will all be at home enjoying Christmas, it's time for a career change I think! I swear if I ever do get out of retail I will never go shopping on St Stephens Day!

Been there, done that, not enough money in the world would get me to go back!

I might buy an xbox online if a good deal slaps me across the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

No ill be in bed hopefully sporting a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

I'm actually surprised people still do this stephens day/January sales business in the age of online shopping. All the bigger stores have websites so why not just buy there instead of searching for stuff they may or may not have on the shelves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

I have 6 euro for the next two weeks.
    So no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

ireceived emails from most of the big stores. Buy online today and collect from shop tomorrow. M&S offering 50% off. currys too. If you are going to buy, maybe better to check online first, I bet the best bargains will be gone before the store opens. I've got enough crap so I won't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flutterby80

theteal wrote: »
    Been there, done that, not enough money in the world would get me to go back!

I might buy an xbox online if a good deal slaps me across the face.

Do you mind me asking what you work at now? Desperately looking for ideas!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

6 a.m.? Fecking hell. Poor staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Maybe it's just me, but the sales never seem worth it? Most of the time, I feel like I'd be better off buying online anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yeah if they collect me and wheel me around the shop in a wheelchair i might buy something

Stephens Day ffs:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If its on sale its either trying to shift the last few in stock or same price as online. I might pick up a new laptop for my girlfriend online but I wont travel for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Do you mind me asking what you work at now? Desperately looking for ideas!!

I'm in IT support now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i did some sale shopping online already

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

theteal wrote: »
    I'm in IT support now

I used to be in retail, then I was in IT support, now I'm in software development. Each job has been less stressful than the previous job. I couldn't do anything customer facing anymore, it's a pain in the hole! Don't envy the staff tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Nope, I'll never entertain the between Christmas Day and New Year's Day sales. That week is for relaxation with loved ones, and nice brisk sea walks, cycles and hill-walking.

I also hate to see retail staff, who have been working hard in the run up to Xmas not get a proper break.

Magenta wrote: »
    -The stock is usually rubbish that nobody else wanted, in either tiny or huge sizes that don't fit me

Not strictly true, I find. There's lots of good stuff in sales but my rule of thumb is if I wouldn't have wanted it at full price, then I won't buy it at sale price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

c_man wrote: »
    6 a.m.? Fecking hell. Poor staff.

Some staff I knew before had to be in a 4am on St Stephens morning for the doors opening at 6 and 7am. Absolutely horrible. Doesn't make for much of a Christmas.

As for customers willing to hunt for a "bargain" at that hour, I have no words.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Some staff I knew before had to be in a 4am on St Stephens morning for the doors opening at 6 and 7am. Absolutely horrible. Doesn't make for much of a Christmas.

As for customers willing to hunt for a "bargain" at that hour, I have no words.

Not a word out of the Unions for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Ah but this isn't the public sector. We're talking about hard-working people on minimum wage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Don't have a clue to be honest. Not overly unionised work places maybe. Not actually breaching contract conditions could be another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

No because I was sensible enough to be able to do it all beforehand.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Don't have a clue to be honest. Not overly unionised work places maybe. Not actually breaching contract conditions could be another.

They used to be for the "working man"not just those that pay their membership.
    There is a fairly big and influential retail Union AFAIK.

Every single thing you said OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

On treble time, On the most boring day of the year. Work Christmas any year you can find. I'll sell it to you - be surrounded by friends, get paid heavy, and roll into the new year a richer* man,woman or elf. Simples.

Roll the little drunks.
    Play tricks on the confused junkies.
    *And do a creative float on the till. New year, new adventures, new beaches.

...and never ever apologise for getting caught. Its a side effect of a life well lived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I am working at 12.30 tomorrow, so kinda thinking of popping into town to see what it's like beforehand. I'll probably just see the crowds and be like nope...

Advertisement