Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2015 ideas: DEADLINE Tuesday 6pm!

Options
  • 23-12-2014 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Fast approaching.

Firstly any google sheet whizz volunteers willing to step up and manage it in 15? I'll help out but just don't have the time this year. Mossym did a lot of work on it last year.

Secondly what would you keep and what would you drop?

Thirdly, new ideas? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Fast approaching.

Firstly any google sheet whizz volunteers willing to step up and manage it in 15? I'll help out but just don't have the time this year. Mossym did a lot of work on it last year.

Secondly what would you keep and what would you drop?

Thirdly, new ideas? :)

nice try mike. new ideas. right. lets get it straight from the start. we are not counting the following

-burpees
    -planks
    -press ups
    -rowing miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Drop all that S/B stuff and put in K, MTB , ABS (Vertical ascent / drop) instead!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

SBR outdated?

Lots of folk on here now doing TDAR

TDAR challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

SBR outdated?

TDAR challenge?

SBR peeps still here when the TDAR resolutions end in a happy meal fest.

Being serious whatever about Tri being a fad and short retention rates........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Don't wish to put the cat amongst the pigeons, but Oct-May numbers > Oct-Sept numbers > Jan-Dec numbers. There's a noticeable drop-off in people updating after the Tri season has finished. I think the SBR challenge would be more useful as a precursor to the Tri season, rather than a Calendar ranking.

• Advertisement

SBR outdated?

TDAR challenge?

Honestly, how many ar's are posting to the forum on a regular basis, ie daily/ weekly? 2? 3? Not counting the what shoes should i wear random posters?Really think there is mass there for that?

mossym wrote: »
    Honestly, how many ar's are posting to the forum on a regular basis, ie daily/ weekly? 2? 3? Not counting the what shoes should i wear random posters?Really think there is mass there for that?

MS folk. Lots. There is a national series for it.
    Bigger events coming to the country
    2015 we make this place more accepting of messing :p

This forum started with a few tri heads and a bunch of random what wetsuit, wheels random posters, and look at the fine bunch we now have!

Hell we have even pinched Jogging forum regulars, swimming forum regulars and a half dozen of tunneys alter egos ;)

I'm not proposing a fundamental change to the SBR. I set the first one up. I like it!

I'd suggest simplifying it. Fewer columns and data entries, more auto fills and calcs. New metrics like vertical mts

Perhaps a 'not just an SBR challenge' thread :D:p

MS folk. Lots. There is a national series for it.
    Bigger events coming to the country
    2015 we make this place more accepting of messing :p

This forum started with a few tri heads and a bunch of random what wetsuit, wheels random posters, and look at the fine bunch we now have!

Hell we have even pinched Jogging forum regulars, swimming forum regulars and a half dozen of tunneys alter egos ;)

I'm not proposing a fundamental change to the SBR. I set the first one up. I like it!

I'd suggest simplifying it. Fewer columns and data entries, more auto fills and calcs. New metrics like vertical mts

Perhaps a 'not just an SBR challenge' thread :D:p

Vertical MTS to the overall calculations and I fear a lot will walk away.

I fear the messers have delusions of grandeur.

tunney wrote: »
    Vertical MTS to the overall calculations and I fear a lot will walk away.

I fear the messers have delusions of grandeur.
    None of the additional columns contribute to the main SBR calc

So, any constructive ideas? Want to evolve/manage the 15 version?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A bar of chocolate every day column to add to your overall points to help me regain my love of the cocoa bean. I'm still broken since the bloody vice challenge...perhaps christmas will fix me! :eek:

• Advertisement

None of the additional columns contribute to the main SBR calc

So, any constructive ideas? Want to evolve/manage the 15 version?

I'll think about what I'd change. First question would be what didn't people like?

I've no problem taking last year's spreadsheet and redoing for 2015, including adding any extra columns

tunney wrote: »
    I'll think about what I'd change. First question would be what didn't people like?

I like the monthly aspect. Didn't think I should but I found it more motivating that the yearly

Yup. Monthly format good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

It's a pain in the @ss to have to convert to km!!! ;)

But seriously, I am one of the ones who is guilty of not updating after "x" number of months. I don't think I've updated since a week or 2 before my IM in September. What to change? Gosh...an automatic link from my log to the table would be nice. :D I'd hate to see this not be carried into 2015, so we need to get our thinking caps on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Is there a way to add autosum for total on the months that adds road, mtb, and turbo as well as ow and pool etc?

Or am I missing something?

Ideas?!

Lift and drop a clean template of 2014 to a new 2015. Grand. Tick.

Any requests for new ideas need to be posted in the few days :)

Do we need the optional "time" and "#" columns per discipline? Those were the least used this year.

Monthly was the new thing last year and seemed to work.

Seasonality is an interesting point by Kurt. Want to expand more on the idea?

@Dory I'm sure we could build a "enter miles here" and get kms in the overall SBR just for you if you were to ask nicely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ideas?!

Lift and drop a clean template of 2014 to a new 2015. Grand. Tick.

Any requests for new ideas need to be posted in the few days :)

Do we need the optional "time" and "#" columns per discipline? Those were the least used this year.

Monthly was the new thing last year and seemed to work.

Seasonality is an interesting point by Kurt. Want to expand more on the idea?

@Dory I'm sure we could build a "enter miles here" and get kms in the overall SBR just for you if you were to ask nicely ;)
    Drop the time.. Keeps sheet narrower which is easier to look at all options. Monthly did work. Don't think much more is needed than that

That'd be great for my running :D

I like current format - stopped updating myself this year as I wasn't doing any real training. The monthly format idea was to supplement what Kurt has suggested really - means you can still see who is training significantly in the 'off season'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I liked having # and time. Used it as a bit of a tracker outside of the competition aspect of it. Also liked using other for different training records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Have recorded my training distances only and on a monthly basis. I do not make use of any other column. Liked how it totals for the year - saves me getting the calculator out. Like Dory I am a statute user (maybe time to come out of the cave!). Have to convert miles to km each time.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    It's a pain in the @ss to have to convert to km!!! ;)

For 2015 You *may* just need to enter your old school numbers into the optional columns as miles and the overall will update in kms** :)

**Note: this is strictly in testing mode, no guarantees!

All

Working on the 2015 version. To avoid the usual emails/PMs I get every year from eager beavers and kiwilanders, the deadline for change requests is Dec 31 (Tuesday) midday.

For 2015 You will just need to enter your old school numbers into the optional columns as miles and the overall will update in kms** :)

**Note: this is only currently formatted for Dory.

All

Working on the 2015 version. To avoid the usual emails/PMs I get every year from eager beavers and kiwilanders, the deadline for change requests is Dec 31 (Tuesday) midday.

have been having a think about this. need to be careful that as soon as the order for the names changes, it doesn't break, and the order has changed for every month this year

mossym wrote: »
    have been having a think about this. need to be careful that as soon as the order for the names changes, it doesn't break, and the order has changed for every month this year

Ah yes, forgot about that little teething problem last year. Emailed you just there

FYI Tuesday is the 30th :pac:

Ah yes, forgot about that little teething problem last year. Emailed you just there

indeed, and they all think it's easy putting it together:)

btw, i presume you meant tuesday the 30th?

FYI Tuesday is the 30th :pac:

Yes it is!

Mossy and I have lives and families! Want it sown up by the 31st and live early

OK... changed to 6pm on Tuesday!

Would it work better to add your data to the current breakdown columns and have the overall SBR total itself up to the right of those columns?

So for example you would have an auto total of turbo+road+MTB or pool+OW etc...

Also the tendency is to fill in data left to right so it makes sense to have auto fills to the right of the sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

What is the actual goal of the thread ? If it is a pissing contest and a motivation contest I guess it's good .
    If it is about getting faster than it would need to focus more on improvement rather than pure miles .
    Some people obviously get lost And I tend to see a huge drop of miles by people that get burned out after a good start but making not that much improvement if you want to help those you do need to focus more on improvement .at the same time most don't even get near to the minimum requirement of volume needed ...
    Anyway I would not really change anything at the same time I would never participate in something like it but love looking at it .
    Thanks to those that put the work in and if it.
    The one complained I have is that I always have to re calculate the placings as they often don't add up

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    What is the actual goal of the thread ? ......
    The one complained I have is that I always have to re calculate the placings as they often don't add up

Goal? Up to you. But then you don't participate. So not up to you.

Complaint: Figs not adding up? Please expand, thanks

Advertisement