Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activated charcoal

Options
  • 22-12-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Just started on a course of activated charcoal,find it fantastic,wondering if any one else uses it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Moses101 wrote: »
    Just started on a course of activated charcoal,find it fantastic,wondering if any one else uses it.
    Did a Doctor recommend it?
    I don't think it's a great idea to take it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_charcoal_%28medication%29

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Crappyghost

Why?

Why?
    You read the wikipedia link? It's use is for treating poisonings.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Crappyghost

I am getting the impression that the OP is taking it as a supplement since he asked "if any one else uses it?"

That's what I understood too. I think it's a bit 'faddy'.

I bought some a few years back from holland and barret (which don't seem to stock it any more) after reading that is was good to take after meals if you were getting acid reflux. I took it a few times and got a feeling of having eaten coal, then stopped taking it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

What???
    This is insane...
    We use it to treat overdoses of certain drugs. It has no nutritional value. Its bloody coal....
    Looks like my yearly visit to this forum is over already :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

It is used to treat gas/bloating and also is good for hangovers. One thing you must be aware of is it can absorb medication, so this can stop the medication from being absorbed by your body if you take them around the same time. I am always wary of taking them when being on the pill!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

It's in several meds for bloating, such as bloateze.

But it's very much for occasional use, it binds minerals in food so you don't want to be taking it long term as it can prompt a deficiency.

Advertisement