Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf or Mazda 3?

Options
  • 22-12-2014 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Opinions on Golf 1.2 Tsi (110 ps) versus the 1.5 petrol Mazda 3.

in terms of

1. Reliability (I don't want a POS and want reliability)

2. Residuals (Golf speaks for itself but what about the Mazda 3?)

3. Real world economy (what do TSI and Mazda 3 owners really get)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Safe to say the 3 will be more reliable yet worth less second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The spec of either makes a huge difference. I'm presuming the basic version of each? In that case the Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why limit yourself to just those two? Hyundai i30, Honda Civic and Kia Ceed are worth looking at too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

From those two the mazda all day everyday.

Golf would definitely be easier to sell on and keep it's value more. The Mazda would probably be more less likely to give you trouble though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

bazz26 wrote: »
    Why limit yourself to just those two? Hyundai i30, Honda Civic and Kia Ceed are worth looking at too.

Because I'm trading a Golf. Whilst they have good residuals I am not so sure anymore that they are reliable. Had a Civic before, might look at that.

I think if you look to the other two mentioned you move too far down the residual chain.

The ceed/i30 aren't a patch on the Golf bar possibly reliability although in my experience they ain't all that either.

3/5 year old Mazda3 is worth less than or the same as the equivelant i30 /ceed usually.

Think it will the Golf again, Anyone know what the TSI 1.2 litre is like power and economy wise? This one supposed to be 110PS for 2015.

What about the Focus 1.0 Ecoboost? The Focus has just got a facelift too which improves the looks dramatically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I'd be going for the golf. It's easily as reliable as anything else listed above. They without doubt will have the best resale value and easiest to sell. From being in my dads new they are ridiculously quite inside to the point where you would genuinely here a pin drop. They got best seats in their class so nothing is going to be as comfortable. I personally prefer the interior finish they are 100 times nicer than any i30 or ceed I've been in even in basic spec.

For the downsides well there is only ever one with any golf new or secondhand they are generally a good bit more expensive than the competition. So that's just the way it is with a golf they are painful to buy in terms of price but once you've bought it you will never regret paying the extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Golf all day long.

There will be the usual haters on here saying they aren't in the same class as a Ceed or i30, but they don't get 5 star reviews off most of the motoring press for nothing.

They are good, solid well built and reliable cars that are desirable and which will be easy to sell.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Golf all day long.

There will be the usual haters on here saying they aren't in the same class as a Ceed or i30, but they don't get 5 star reviews off most of the motoring press for nothing.

They are good, solid well built and reliable cars that are desirable and which will be easy to sell.

I don't know, the number of fan boys seems to be just as balanced as haters around here.

I had a loan of a Mk VII Golf for a week earlier this year and being honest, imo it was nothing to write home about. Styling both outside and inside is very conservative which is something personally I'd get bored of very quickly. Now it's definitely not a bad car and I'm not claiming a Hyundai or Kia are better but I just don't see why some people get a semi for them.

Anyway I'm not going to turn this thread into a Golf versus the rest of the world thread, I've given my opinion on the cars originally mentioned.

If it was a highline Golf Vs a GT Mazda 3, both 150 ish diesel I'd be choosing the Mazda. I've seen a basic Mazda 3 and it's nothing at all like the higher spec models. Motor reviews are usually related to advertising revenue.

There are other options too, the revised Focus is a good call, there's the Leon too and a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

C'eed petrols are as rare as hens teeth used and they dont sell them new anymore in Ireland...think I got the last one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Golf all day long.

Golf's are overrated by the motoring press, just like they've always been. The Golf mk4 was rated very highly too and that was hardly that well built or reliable. The same goes for the mk5 and mk6, very highly rated by the motoring press but from my experience nothing at all to right home about.

My neighbor has an 2011 mk6 and that has given it's fair share of issues over the past year or so.

Not saying golfs are a bad car, just massively overrated. It's a bit too soon for you to call the mk7 a solid well built reliable car imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Fiskar wrote: »
    Opinions on Golf 1.2 Tsi (110 ps) versus the 1.5 petrol Mazda 3.

in terms of

1. Reliability (I don't want a POS and want reliability)

2. Residuals (Golf speaks for itself but what about the Mazda 3?)

3. Real world economy (what do TSI and Mazda 3 owners really get)
    For your criteria I'd probably choose an Auris. It's got well proven reliable engines, resale value is very good and it's got good economy too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't know, the number of fan boys seems to be just as balanced as haters around here.

I had a loan of a Mk VII Golf for a week earlier this year and being honest, imo it was nothing to write home about. Styling both outside and inside is very conservative which is something personally I'd get bored of very quickly. Now it's definitely not a bad car and I'm not claiming a Hyundai or Kia are better but I just don't see why some people get a semi for them.

Anyway I'm not going to turn this thread into a Golf versus the rest of the world thread, I've given my opinion on the cars originally mentioned.

Of course I respect your opinion, but why do so many professional car reviewers rave so much about the Golf then?

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/golf-hatchback/summary/26158-5

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/golf-vii-2013/

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/volkswagen/golf/hatchback/

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/volkswagen/golf/hatchback/review

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf

Thats all the main websites and all have next to nothing bad to say about the Golf. In fact most are 5 star reviews.

Thanks, just the links I am looking for!
    While I would not be a fan of VW in particular the dealer tactics, I do think they hold their residuals and look a rock solid car

I'm sure you will find similar reviews about the likes of the Focus, etc too. Some reviews can be more or less impartial than others depending on the source.

As I've said I don't see what all the fuss is about with the Golf, its a bit like an iPhone to me. Certain people rave about them and pay silly money for them but at the end of the day there are other cheaper smart phones that will do the same thing but don't carry the same brand desirability factor. Product branding is a very powerful marketing tool.

• Advertisement

It sure is, but the Golf hasn't been around for 40yrs and sold tens of millions for no reason other than its well marketed. If it was a rubbish car that was well marketed it wouldn't have survived this long.

I think you have to assume that across so many websites and media outlets, they can't all be biased towards the Golf.

As for the Focus, it too is generally considered a very good car by most media outlets and reviewers. They seem to be hated by a large number of people too, but rubbish cars don't sell in big numbers imho.

If you are talking about marketing, do you not think the likes of Kia and Hyaundai are in marketing overdrive the last few years? They'd put VW and Ford to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

The 2014 Mazda 3 is a serious looker. The 2.2 diesel can throw you back in your seat or toddle along like ms daisy.

That said, either top tier or third tier is needed to have good spec. Going up the specs I think is a bit expensive relatively. But the dealer would obviously do a deal.

The red metallic is my choice.

Golf is a bit dull, even the GTD wouldn't change my mind.

I agree that the new Mazda is a looker, and nicer to look at than the Golf.

But sometimes looks aren't the main thing people use when deciding what car to buy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Have to say the new Mazda three looks awesome inside and out:

2014-mazda-mazda3_100443752_m.jpg

The Golfs do in fairness get good reviews, but VAG reliability is awful - I once owned a B6 Passat - enough said :pac:

Had a rental I30 and thought it was the most cheap n nasty car I'd been in in a while.

I think the new 308 in estate form looks the biz:

Peugeot+308+SW+(2014)+Side.jpg

Good review too:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/peugeot/308/first-drives/2014-peugeot-308-sw-e-thp-130-first-drive-review

That image does make it look nice inside, but manufacturers will always show the most expensive, top of the range photo which will cost the earth to own.

As for VAG reliability, do the stats prove its 'awful'?

As for the new 308, love the hatchback in it, think its classy and understated. I was considering getting a test drive, but I've never owned a French car before, if you know what I mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

That image does make it look nice inside, but manufacturers will always show the most expensive, top of the range photo which will cost the earth to own.

As for VAG reliability, do the stats prove its 'awful'?

Breakdown/warranty company stats like Warranty Direct/ AA/ German ADAC all place VAG pruducts bottom of the table.

Owners opinion surveys like JD Power, however, rate them highly for reliability.

Figure that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

My father has one, and I have driven it a good bit. gearbox is a bit lighter than previous models, but still feels precise, much more than any VW I have driven.

As for reliability, too early to judge on this car, but no issues. Father has had Mazda's for 20 years now. and not one had any big issues, that said he hasn't had them more than 3 years.

The interior for the new model is a serious step up. Competing with higher level cars.

Very efficient, due to big engine, obviously if you drive it right.

Sub 200e tax.

Insurance for a 'high powered' car. This is probably a big negative because they are only available in a 1.5 petrol or a 2.2 diesel.

The previous model was a 1.6 diesel.

The one thing I think that let's it down look wise is the size of the alloys on third tier spec. I think they are 16 inch with chunky fuel efficient tyres. I would like a little less efficiency for 17 inches like the previous model.

seats are comfy and supportive. The driving position is far better than a Golf.

Although performance wise I can only go on the diesel engine, not a clue about the petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

The thing around here is that each of the following makes has a loyal fanboiii following (myself incl.) who tend to clash more often than not, each claiming that their chosen make is THE best. Quite funny at times :D

VW
    FORD
    TOYOTA
    BMW
    HYUNDAI/KIA
    AUDI (Not so much)
    Suppose I'm missing one or two

Oh yeah

alfa's........ :pac:

I don't think anyone here seriously thinks Fords are any good.

• Advertisement

It sure is, but the Golf hasn't been around for 40yrs and sold tens of millions for no reason other than its well marketed. If it was a rubbish car that was well marketed it wouldn't have survived this long.

I think you have to assume that across so many websites and media outlets, they can't all be biased towards the Golf.

As for the Focus, it too is generally considered a very good car by most media outlets and reviewers. They seem to be hated by a large number of people too, but rubbish cars don't sell in big numbers imho.

If you are talking about marketing, do you not think the likes of Kia and Hyaundai are in marketing overdrive the last few years? They'd put VW and Ford to shame.

But I never said or implied the Golf was rubbish. I just don't think that the majority of models in the range do anything vastly superior to some of it's rivals, to justify the euphoria some people have for them. The Seat Leon for example is pretty much the same car yet it doesn't receive half the attention that the Golf does.

Advertisement