Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 New Year's resolutions-what are yours?

Options
  • 22-12-2014 3:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 162 ✭✭

So far I have the following 2:

1. Only going out for a drink one night per month to save money. Usually I go out every Saturday night. So for the last 2 months I have tried it, and reckon I can stick to it.

2. Giving up gambling. Currently I have 5,000 Euro in savings, and some of it is the product of online gambling. I have one last 2,500 bet on for Christmas; and win or lose that's me done for good. I want to quit when I am ahead (something most gamblers can't do).

The best New Year's resolution I ever made was on the millennium eve. I decided I would never take drugs ever again after that night. I had taken 2 ecstacy tablets and smoked lots of weed that night at a warehouse rave; and had one of the best nights of my life. But I wanted to quit when I was ahead on a high note. And 14 years later I haven't touched drugs since; not even smoking one joint.

So what are yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

My new year's resolution is to be more appropriate with my touching.

Not that I'm inappropriately touching at the moment. I just figure it's always good to be more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

So far I have the following 2:

1. Only going out for a drink one night per month to save money. Usually I go out every Saturday night. So for the last 2 months I have tried it, and reckon I can stick to it.

2. Giving up gambling. Currently I have 5,000 Euro in savings, and some of it is the product of online gambling. I have one last 2,500 bet on for Christmas; and win or lose that's me done for good. I want to quit when I am ahead (something most gamblers can't do).

The best New Year's resolution I ever made was on the millennium eve. I decided I would never take drugs ever again after that night. I had taken 2 ecstacy tablets and smoked lots of weed that night at a warehouse rave; and had one of the best nights of my life. But I wanted to quit when I was ahead on a high note. And 14 years later I haven't touched drugs since; not even smoking one joint.

So what are yours?

Good God, don't place that bet on Christmas Day and use the money to drink for the year instead. Edited to say you could always save it but giving up on drinking to save money seems strange when you are willing to possibly lose that much money on a horse or a roll of dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Just tell us what the bet is!

Running! Definitely going to go running twice in January, then never again.
    Did my first 10k run earlier in the year, so think it's actually something I could take up.

Take more holidays from work. Only had one week abroad this year, with the occasional (seldom) weekend off. Was left with a crazy surplus of annual leave coming into December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Lyaiera wrote: »
    My new year's resolution is to be more appropriate with my touching.

Not that I'm inappropriately touching at the moment. I just figure it's always good to be more appropriate.

This is going to need more explaining please.

OP if you've put €2500 on a bet, I'd guess you might not do so well giving up on the gambling.

I don't make resolutions, well not at a convenient time of year anyway. If I resolve to do something or not do it, I do it when I need to, rather than setting a time for it.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    This is going to need more explaining please.

I'd try and be more appropriate with my touching, things like hugs and ruffling hair. I'm going to try and be even more considerate of what the other person wants. Although I haven't waited for the new year for that. I've been dwelling on my hugging based persona for a number of weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Giving up gambling. Currently I have 5,000 Euro in savings, and some of it is the product of online gambling. I have one last 2,500 bet on for Christmas; and win or lose that's me done for good. I want to quit when I am ahead (something most gamblers can't do).

Paddy Power gave me 1000-1 that all life on earth would be wiped out by a meteor strike within a decade, stuck a tenner on it; sure what have I got to lose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 162 ✭✭costadeldole

Just tell us what the bet is!

Running! Definitely going to go running twice in January, then never again.
    Did my first 10k run earlier in the year, so think it's actually something I could take up.

Take more holidays from work. Only had one week abroad this year, with the occasional (seldom) weekend off. Was left with a crazy surplus of annual leave coming into December.

I have 2,500 Euro with Betfair.com on Mrs Brown's Boys to win; Top Christmas Day TV at odds of 1/1. So that is 5,000 total return, 2,500 net profit.

See my other thread on it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057348376

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I have 2,500 Euro with Betfair.com on Mrs Brown's Boys to win; Top Christmas Day TV at odds of 2/1. So that is 5,000 total return, 2,500 net profit.

surely that's 7500 return, 5000 profit, non gambler I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

My new year resolution is to start relaxing at interviews because I freeze up and start acting like a robot and to then finally get a job :)

surely that's 7500 return, 5000 profit, non gambler I could be wrong

2,500 stake at 1/1 is 2,500 x 2, so 5,000 total (stake plus profit).
    So the net return is 2,500 winnings on my 2,500 stake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never had any before and am resolved to not have any again :P

2,500 stake at 2/1 is 2,500 x 2, so 5,000 total (stake plus profit).

Don't let Paddy Power know your calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

2,500 stake at 2/1 is 2,500 x 2, so 5,000 total (stake plus profit).

You really should give up betting!

If you put 2,500 on at 2/1 and it wins, you will get 7,500 back.
    2 for every 1 you placed, plus your stake.

If you put 2,500 on at 2.0, then you'll get back 5,000.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Don't let Paddy Power know your calculations.

My apologies, it was a typo (now corrected) 1/1 not 2/1!

You really should give up betting!

If you put 2,500 on at 2/1 and it wins, you will get 7,500 back.
    2 for every 1 you placed, plus your stake.

If you put 2,500 on at 2.0, then you'll get back 5,000.

Agreed.
    It was a typo, now corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Lose a few kilos. I'm not fat, but at the limit of my normal BMI and a bit pudgy around the torso.

Drink less beer. And when I do, stick to weak stuff, got a bit used to the good strong German stuff, and have had too much of a liking for it for my own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

you are quite mad to risk 2,500 just to win the same back imo, but best of luck to you. I will be sure to tune in to give you a helping hand, though i don't think it works that way

KungPao wrote: »
    Lose a few kilos. I'm not fat, but at the limit of my normal BMI and a bit pudgy around the torso.

Drink less beer. And when I do, stick to weak stuff, got a bit used to the good strong German stuff, and have had too much of a liking for it for my own good.

I lost a stone last year from just doing a 20 minute run once a week, and giving up sugar. The weight just fell off and I went down from a 38" waist in jeans to a 36". Swimming and cycling are also good ways of burning calories off if running isn't your thing. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Get a better job.

• Advertisement

you are quite mad to risk 2,500 just to win the same back imo, but best of luck to you. I will be sure to tune in to give you a helping hand, though i don't think it works that way

I agree with you, and that's why I am making it my last bet; win or lose.
    But thanks for your good wishes though.
    The thing is, I have always gone in heavy on bets after months of research; its not an impulsive decision.
    My biggest ever win was on the Oscars. Although Avatar was the odds on favourite to win best picture that year, I bet on Hurt Locker. I won 3,000 Euro.
    I figured the aged profile of the Oscars judging panel would favour an American war film over computer animation; and so they did.
    Everyone I spoke to at the time said I was mad betting 3,000 on Hurt Locker as Avatar was the favourite and sure to win.
    Big stake, big risk, but big win (or big lose!) Small bets have never interested me to be honest with you; I have always preferred to go very heavy on lower odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

I have 2,500 Euro with Betfair.com on Mrs Brown's Boys to win; Top Christmas Day TV at odds of 1/1. So that is 5,000 total return, 2,500 net profit.

See my other thread on it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057348376

i'll watch mrs browns boys that day so :D

gl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭AstraOwner

Less procrastination. Which is basically most people's resolutions in one way or the other. Currently reading up a bit more about it, why we do it and hopefully how to beat or decrease it.

(See you this time next year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Give less of my time to my family, work and society in general and more time on boards; my posting rate is very disappointing.

i'll watch mrs browns boys that day so :D

gl

Many thanks for the good wishes. I just need another 10 million to do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

To kick ass and drink milk.

and I'm all out of milk...

biko wrote: »
    To kick ass and drink milk.

and I'm all out of milk...

Well maybe if you milk the ass instead of kicking it you might have more success?

Cleopatra used to bathe in ass milk apparently. Well for some.

It is said that Cleopatra, Queen of Ancient Egypt, took baths in ass milk to preserve the beauty and youth of her skin.[1] Legend has it that no less than 700 asses were needed to provide the quantity of milk necessary for her daily bath.[9][10]

This was also the case of Poppaea Sabina (30 – 65), second wife of Roman Emperor Nero, who is referred to in Pliny’s description of the ass milk virtues for the skin:

It is generally believed that ass milk effaces wrinkles in the face, renders the skin more delicate, and preserves its whiteness : and it is a well-known fact, that some women are in the habit of washing their face with it seven times daily, strictly observing that number. Poppaea, the wife of the Emperor Nero, was the first to practise this; indeed, she had sitting-baths, prepared solely with ass milk, for which purpose whole troops of she- asses used to attend her on her journeys.[11]

Pauline Bonaparte (1780–1825), Napoleon’s sister, is also reported to have used ass milk for her skin’s health care.[9]

Ass milk is still used today in the manufacture of soaps and moisturizers.[12]

AstraOwner wrote: »
    Less procrastination. Which is basically most people's resolutions in one way or the other. Currently reading up a bit more about it, why we do it and hopefully how to beat or decrease it.

(See you this time next year)

Procrastination; the curse of the weed smoking classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Must refrain from eating the other white meat this year… :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

To eat far fewer clocks. The pendulum must swing the other way. I hate being too regular in the loo.

Advertisement