Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 15 too young to start taking whey protein

Options
  • 21-12-2014 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,
    Is 15 too young to start taking whey protein? I train 6 times a week and I think it would help me gain muscle and recover faster. I have been tracking my diet with myfitnesspal and currently my average protein intake is around 60-65g a day which is very low I think and that is with 3 eggs and a chicken breast. Normally lads don't start taking protein until they are 16 in the club but I don't see any reason why I couldn't take it. Is there any risks or negative side affects of taking it while young? I was thinking of taking 1/2 scoops after every session.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

It's a food supplement, that's all it is. There's no negative effects unless you're lactose intolerant or have a strange reaction to it. Supplements should only be used to 'supplement' your diet when you can't hit your macros daily because of inconvenience or otherwise. Age doesn't matter when to start taking supps so being 15 is irrelevant. If you have the money and want to buy them then buy them, but you should be able to hit your protein target everyday with food; taking a shake post workout and having a sh*t diet won't do anything for you if you want to get big; you need calories and protein and 1 shake won't change everything. Also 6 times a week is a lot of training, is it all weights? For a beginner 6x a week is a bit excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

Thanks for the response. It's good to know that there aren't any side affects. I'm not trying to "get big" I am trying to get stronger for rowing. No it's not all weights, only one day of weights a week, the rest is made up of running, spin bike, erg and rowing on the river, you won't get results without a lot of effort and commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

abutler101 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. It's good to know that there aren't any side affects. I'm not trying to "get big" I am trying to get stronger for rowing. No it's not all weights, only one day of weights a week, the rest is made up of running, spin bike, erg and rowing on the river, you won't get results without a lot of effort and commitment.

You can get stronger without gaining weight but it wouldn't harm you to put on some size. You won't become massive unless you want to so I wouldn't worry about that; putting on some size won't harm your rowing either, I've seen a few olympic rowers who have a bit of size on them. Either way I wouldn't advise you to go on supplements unless you really need them and it doesn't sound like you do. Just eat plenty of good food and you'll do alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

No way. Drink it down, pump the guns and you'll be massive in a few years.

Advertisement